Why Do So Many Not Show their Locations?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you leave your Ham Radio call sign, any one can track your exact address. I have looked up all of the Satellite guys who have there call letters in their user name.

That's assuming that you haven't moved and haven't updated your address with the FCC.

I put a lat/long for my location but it's not an exact lat/long so I don't worry about it to much.

I think I'll stop getting ham plates myself. It's kinda cool to have them but I don't need to advertise (just like I don't wear my NRA T-shirt or cap anymore).

I don't see this guy worrying too much: http://www.qrz.com/db/W6OBB

http://goo.gl/maps/4GqWx

I was wanting HAM plates when I get my HAM license but I'm going to be eligible for Classic Auto plates in 2016.

TXclassautoOut.jpg

In the mid 80's I moved to a state where they used your SS # as the drivers lic. #. When they asked for mine I replied "I'll give you mine when you give me yours".
After a 20 minute go 'round' explaining to her how I could wreck her life in under an hour if I wanted to(and this is before the internet , just boards, text only. CPM and MSDOS) she gave me lic.# 999-99-9999
That state just moved away from SS#'s as DL lic# just a few yrs ago.

Maybe this was Ma.? I went through the same nonsense there years ago myself. Once I "explained" why and how this was a bad thing, they issued me a lic # that wasn't my S.S #. At first they flat out refused but it didn't take too long for them to come around. Love DOS, I still have a comp here with DOS on it and other old OS's that gets used pretty regularly by me and my daughter, she loves old games like King's Quest, Kyrandia series, etc. Think I still have CPM stashed away somewhere and an old Digital Rainbow and maybe a Kaypro packed away somewhere, but don't use CPM for anything now.

No, not MA, but that northern plains oil state > North Dakota.
Lost my MSdos machine to a catastrophic main board failure a while ago. Man, I wish I still had it, but not too much effort in finding a replacement. But, with my CRS, I've probably forgotten most of what's required to use it. I'd have to find a copy of DOS for Dummies.

I forgot what I put I there for a location. I usually use something cryptic like " The Land of Sky Blue Waters". You can figure it out fairly easily. 45w x 93N is pretty dang close to my house. I never use my real birthday. If I could figure out how to make a fake email address that would still allow me to register into forums like this...I would. When I was moderator at NewEgg I would delete all phishing threads Like " What's your Birthday, Whats your Dads Name, Whats your middle name, Where did you go to high School, Whats your pets name?" etc.... They got the ban-hammer if they kept it up.

I've been using this screen name across so many sites for so many years, it's probably pretty easy to track me down if someone really wanted to. I just try not to give crazy people a reason to track me down. If I really need to give my location for support, I'll give it. It'll get people as close as my apartment complex.

I give my neighbors house as my location. He is a marksman .... so far he has gotten 3 abandoned vehicles on his property! The police can not find the owners.... (OK, those were all before we moved here.... Officer, "R.. was not shooting at you! He has NEVER missed!")

I've been using this screen name across so many sites for so many years, it's probably pretty easy to track me down if someone really wanted to...
Funny you mention that. Sometimes as a game, I like to see if I can locate somebody purely as a challenge. Not for any reason to contact them. The truth is most on the Internet can often be tracked down using search engines and logic. The tough people to locate are those who don't use the Internet. But even they may not be so difficult. So, better run your life accordingly: most aren't anonymous anymore. Most can be tracked, if somebody really tried.

Back to the original question. Many log onto this site because they have a question that needs an answer. Then you never hear from them again. For that reason they are not interested in providing their life history or any other personal information. IMHO

In the activity of FTA, physical location is often a critical bit of info needed to give a good answer, e.g. to answer where can I buy?...how do I point my dish?...who can come help me?...what sats/channels can I receive? It's just more efficient if location is known up front. No life histories wanted or required.

No, not MA, but that northern plains oil state > North Dakota.
Lost my MSdos machine to a catastrophic main board failure a while ago. Man, I wish I still had it, but not too much effort in finding a replacement. But, with my CRS, I've probably forgotten most of what's required to use it. I'd have to find a copy of DOS for Dummies.

Just for the fun of it I quickly looked through some of my books to see if I had DFD's, nothing. Found four other old Dummies books and a few real beat-up Dos books, which made me realize it's way past time for me to clean out my bookcases and piles of books in that room and start filling up the recycle bin with them!

Attachments

• Dos.JPG
    Dos.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Dummies Books.JPG
    Dummies Books.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 102
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)