Why do they think my receiver is leased?

I've been fighting E* for months over this. I have one HD receiver with Top 200 and HD Essentials and they've been dinging me the leased receiver fee from the get-go. This I continue to pursue. They also took me off the DVR Advantage Plan when I got the HD receiver and were charging me the DVR fees as well. I got the DVR Advantage Plan taken care of but they only reimbursed the DVR fees back to when I called about it and not back to when they inadvertently took me off the plan in the first place. I have made no headway in getting the rest of the other money refunded and it really isn't worth my time to continue to pursue it. Dish's billing system is screwed up because it has too many permutations and some of the CSRs are just not competent. Why they removed me from the DVR Adv Plan in the first place is anyone's guess. I wonder how much money they make on screwups like this that aren't caught by the subscriber?

Laddyboy, it depends on when you got the HD receiver (I'm guessing it's a dvr, probably a 622?). I upgraded in mid July of 2006 to a 622, it's the only receiver on the acct, originally I paid a $6 monthly lease fee (it went up to $7 this year), if you are one of the earlier leassees you will get dinged for the lease fee. I knew this at the time, I remember the csr telling me this several times. Good luck on getting the charge reversed, if ya do let us know how because there are a few of us still in the same boat. I don't know why they'd change you from the dvr advantage plan, but with their overseas csr's, nothing suprises me!

I had a similar problem with Dish. When I turned off and sent back my first 2 leased STB's, they immediately put the 2 new OWNED receivers on my account as "Leased". I decided to deal with this error down the road as the status of "leased" vs. "owned" does not save one penny on the monthly bill.

The day came years later when I wanted to upgrade to new leased STB's. Well, Dish said I needed to send in my 2 "leased" receivers that I owned or they would charge me those STB's.

It was somewhat of a pain because the Executive Office CSR copped an attitude and didn't believe me (I think they get a lot of people who try to scam). Anyway, she said that if I could produce a receipt or invoice show the STB's as purchased, they would happily not charge for the 2 STB's in question. I had to fax the receipts to a special number. As it turned out, they never charged me for the 2 STB's that I own.

I believed that in my case the confusion was caused because I first joined Dish through a 2 box lease deal, that may be where the computer gets confused. As far as the Dish computer is concerned, I was a Digital Dynamite (2 name changes for the lease deal over the years) to the now current DHA subscriber. So, the system probably put 2 STB's as "Leased" even if they are "owned" because that is the only way I could possibly be on the DHA program. At least I HOPE that is why this had been a pain over the years.

Now, all STB's are listed correctly on my account and on the Dish account equipment page. Now I really do have 2 STB's that are leased, and I am still on DHA, which waives the first STB "lease" fee."

I agree. Dish should fix this inaccuracy. There is always the specter that Dish my intentionally have the system put owned STB's as "leased" STB's because this increases the chances for them to get equipment back that they never leased. I hope that is not the case.

Lesson: If you purchase your own STB from any retailer, keep all receipts and invoices and be prepared for Dish to get it wrong when the time comes. It should not have to be this way, but Dish is not the only company that doesn't get things "right."

My aunt has similar problem with Sears: she knows she purchased a TV with the "preferred" credit of no interest for a period and no penalty for paying off early. Well, Sears says that according to their records, she got the more restrictive credit and they want $400 for paying in full early. Sears admits that someone could have entered the code incorrectly, just ONE digit off could have put her in the wrong credit plan, they admit. Of course, my aunt has lost her original contract that she signed that day. Now, she has no recourse. Sears said if she could produce the contract, they will gladly change her account to reflect the better credit deal.

Many companies make the same claimed "errors" as Dish and Sears, and they count on customers NOT having proof, the paperwork, etc. that the consumer SHOULD have saved. Then the companies get away reaming the consumer. It seems we can not trust these companies to either keep their own records straight nor have faith that they will honestly record things, but record them to their advantage. It shouldn't be that way, but that is the way it is, and we consumers have to accept this lower moral bar of the major companies and save ALL our paperwork for years should we need them as proof of our claim. Just stick Dish equipment receipts in a manila folder. That is a good start.

I had the same problem, but having a receiver listed as leased DOES cost me extra money. I have the $9.99 locals package through dish.

I fought this for almost 2 months after I bought a 625 on ebay and had it activated.

I had numerous calls to the CSRs and who knows how many emails to the ceo address before it got fixed.

I even got 1 CSR to give me a $10 credit, only to have the receiver listed as leased another 2 days later.

I originally signed up under the DHA about 3 years ago, and then cancelled for a few months, then after setting up Directv, which doesn't have our locals, I decided to get Dish for the locals.

It got to the point where I would check the website every 2 days and look for the words, "DHA advantage (1 receiver)", if the wording was there, my receiver was listed as leased. I'm surprised that line hasn't reappeared under my current programming in about 1 1/2 months.

Depends on the number of receivers. I only have 1 owned 722 so I do not pay a lease fee. I figured that was what the op had. Indeed if he had more than 1 there would be the $7 lease or additional receiver fee.

WRONG! Instead of the $7 "Leased Receiver Fee," you will be charged the $7 "Additional Receiver Access Fee." There is NO $$ savings on your monthly bill by owning compared to leasing. It no longer makes economic sense to own rather than lease. Owning back in the 1990's was a different matter. Of course, if one wants more than the 4 tuners Dish will lease, then you must own additional tuners.

I don't pay any dang lease fee on my leased 622, and the only addl receiver fees are five bucks each on my 501 and 311!!!!.

The primary lease fee is included in the programming on your primary receiver.

fred

Laddyboy, it depends on when you got the HD receiver (I'm guessing it's a dvr, probably a 622?). I upgraded in mid July of 2006 to a 622, it's the only receiver on the acct, originally I paid a $6 monthly lease fee (it went up to $7 this year), if you are one of the earlier leassees you will get dinged for the lease fee. I knew this at the time, I remember the csr telling me this several times. Good luck on getting the charge reversed, if ya do let us know how because there are a few of us still in the same boat. I don't know why they'd change you from the dvr advantage plan, but with their overseas csr's, nothing suprises me!

Got my 722 in early April 2008. I chatted again this evening re the leased receiver fees. The CSR said billing has now added a note to the account so it looks like I may be getting reimbursed for the leased receiver fee they've been charging.

I called Dish again tonight and asked if it was showing up as a leased or owned receiver and she told me that it showed up as I owned it. I guess the guy got it taken care of. A huge thumbs up to Claude at Dishstore.net I can't wait to do business with him again in the future. I've only dealt with him a few times in the past but he has always been great. I considered eBay as they were cheaper but decided he had been so great to deal with in the past I'd pay the extra to have it from him and I'm now soo glad I did. I have a feeling if I had bought this off eBay it would have been a major hassle to get resolved. IMO dishstore.net is by far the best way to go even if they are a little more expensive. they don't seem to be a ton more anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)