Why does a cellular signal booster actually make the signal better inside the house?

It’s 2023 and we’re still talking about why you would need a cellular signal booster. To be honest, I’m a little surprised. First of all I kind of thought by now the major cell providers would have done a better job of getting good signal to everyone. I mean, they’ve put up a lot of 5G towers, but that only seems to have made things worse indoors.

Second, I thought that cell boosters would have had a “breakthrough moment” by now, and they would just be one of the common appliances you put in your home like a microwave or a Wi-Fi router. But in both cases, I was wrong — it’s not the first time that’s happened — and so I’m left to write an article like this, talking about why having a cell booster is better than not having a cell booster. (Bitter, party of one?)

But, ok, let’s take a look at all the moving parts here.

It’s kinda not the cell company’s job to get signal INTO your home.​

I know that doesn’t make a lot of sense, but after talking to representatives from cell companies, they still look at themselves as providers of service outside the home. Sure, they’d love it if you use your cell phone all the time, but ask them about signal problems in your home and they will tell you that they have great service outdoors. I know, right?

Every home is different, and most of them are pretty hostile to cell signals.​

Whether it’s an older home that’s sucked up lead paint over its life, a mid-century ranch with steel conduit and stucco, or a new build with aluminum studs, the fact is that most homes are extremely unfriendly to cellular signals. To make matters worse, each is unfriendly in its own specific way, which is why there are different cell booster solutions for different spaces. As long as the signal is better outside than inside, there’s going to be a need for a cellular booster system. And as long as homebuilders don’t care about cell signals, that’s going to be the case.

How a cell booster makes everything better​

So we know the problems: cell signals are designed for outdoors and homes block cell signals, you’ll need a booster. What’s interesting is the way that a cell booster makes everything work. It’s not just one thing, it’s a combination of technologies, all working together at peak efficiency to make sure that you can watch cat videos on the couch.

The outdoor antenna​

The outdoor antenna is, in many ways, the easiest part of the system to explain. If you put up an antenna on your roof, you get two immediate benefits. First of all the antenna is, oh about 50 times larger than the one in your phone. More antenna generally equals better reception. There’s a lot more to the physics of that, but bottom line is “big antenna=good.” Not only that, but you’re putting the antenna outside, where it’s not affected by all the weirdness inside your home, and you’re putting it up high, where maybe there aren’t so many trees and things to block cell signals. All in all this is a big part of the solution.

The indoor antenna​

The indoor antenna is another big part of the solution. You put it where you need it, so it’s going to do a better job right off the bat. The best-placed indoor antennas are easy to see and aren’t blocked by anything, so that’s another improvement. And, because you’re so much closer to it than you are to a cell tower, you’re going to get better reception even though it’s much weaker than the antenna on a cell tower.

The booster/amplifier​

This is literally the brains of the operation. The amplifier takes signal from the outdoors, sends it indoors, and also takes signal from the indoors and puts it outdoors. It does this almost instantly and constantly adjusts so that there’s maximum power available without any fear of overloading things. It manages this task, generally with five different radio frequencies at the same time and somewhere between 1 and 30 simultaneous users (pro-quality systems can handle even more.) It’s basically a mini-computer that does all this stuff incredibly well.

Why a cell booster is for you​

Fact is, about 90% of homes suffer from some sort of signal loss to cell phones. Because every home is different, there are a ton of different cellular booster systems to choose from, and experts can design something that works for you. Choose an off-the-rack solution, or let Solid Signal create a custom plan that gives you exactly the coverage you need. We’ll even arrange for installation if you like, or as a DIYer we’ll give you the support you need.

It all starts with a visit to SolidSignal.com. That’s where you can find the best selection and great people who answer the phones when you call 888-233-7563. Check it out!

The post Why does a cellular signal booster actually make the signal better inside the house? appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...

Cant blame a guy for trying to make a sale. But.
Look at Verizon at least. Wifi calling. When enabled on your 'newer' cell phone You can make and receive calls through your broadband home setup. Cell phone VOIP of sorts.
Living in the boonies, quite a few people even have mobile "boosters". But you gotta' have a signal to amplify a signal.
I spoke with one of the seasonal camp owners who bought a booster just for the purpose of being able to have cell service 'down in the holler'. Turns out there's not even a squint of signal and he drives up to my home to do his thing.

Wi-Fi calling works, no denying it. But then again do you want to give everyone who comes into your house your Wi-Fi password, or go to the trouble of creating a safe guest network? Folks on this site may say yes, but I don't think regular folks would.

Wifi calling is the only way I can use my Cell Phone inside my house, I go outside, everything is fine.

So is T-Mobile/Verizon working on a outdoor 5G Antenna, that would increase the range for their Home Internet service?

There are already fixed wireless solutions that connect to external antennas. It would absolutely not surprise me if Verizon and T-Mobile were to roll out a solution like this.

The facility my company purchased to expand their state services had a Nextel repeater in the IT room and an antenna on the roof to cover cell and broadband needs in the podunk town it was located in. By that time towers had been erected to provide cell coverage. It was definitely not your flea market cell booster setup. Nextel wasn't interested in reclaiming it, so perhaps the company purchased it.
"The trouble of" guest networking is kind of iffy. Although their service seems to be downgrading in the near future.
OpenDNS from Cisco is just one of the available services to limit and filter what your guests could access "if" you set up a guest network.

Mind you. As was mentioned. You have to be able to snag an adequate signal to be able to amplify it in the first place. We all know that. So pointing out that a whiz-bang magic box and a climb up on the roof, ladder on a tree, whatever. May not actually be the hot ticket in many cases.
In my area. In Amish country. There are several areas along the highways in different directions leaving my little town where when talking to someone on a cell. It's just all too common for the person driving (hands free, of course....)
"I'm <out here> and I'll probably lose you in a second. N-S-E-W. Don't matter.

My reply was meant as a simple FYI. If the National Fuel and REC guys say their mobile boosters still have them driving several miles to grab a cell signal long after their 2-ways went deaf. SXM service on the road commonly displays acquiring signal in the vehicle.

If you have broadband, wifi available. That cell phone option was just pointed out as something folks could consider.
There's not really much in setting up a router. Or even a piggybacked secondary router or AP. To provide those who visit your home. Wifi on a filtered network to give good service and yet prevent you from getting a nasty-gram from your ISP for downloading torrents that the DMCA will pinch you for.
Then again. I'm still tapping out CW Morse. As obsolete as it might be. Hah!

Not one bit of malice meant.

With Sprint, I used to have a big white box (little bigger than a shoe box) that Sprint provided for free because I had poor signal in my house. Had to walk around to different windows in the house, sit the box on the window ledge, plug it in, and find which window could find the best signal to repeat into the house. Worked great for a few years. Then T-Mobile took over and said, nope, we have "improved" signal in your area so you no longer need this. Welp, back to the same issue as before. If I need to make a call, have to sit in certain part of the house to not drop calls or use wifi calling which thankfully works for me, just not guests, since I try not to give out the wifi password. Verizon works ok in the house(my work phone is Verizon) just not T-Mobile or AT&T. Guess Verizon must have a tower closer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts