Why doesn't Dish Network have Local on the 8's?

sjvirchow

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
I was browsing around YouTube, and found this video, demonstrating most cable operators ability to have Local on the 8's customized to your specific location.
YouTube - An IntelliStar and a TWC satellite LF recorded at the same time! (Using Adobe After Effects)
I did some research, and apparently, DirecTV has found a way to do this, by using the Zip code assigned to your receiver! Not just that, but they've had this ability for 2+ years now!
YouTube - TWC DirecTV Local Forecast - Cold Start to 2010 in Tampa, FL
I'm sure this isn't news to some of you, but it was to me when I found out! Going to Channel 100 and using the "application" is slow, and cumbersome. Why doesn't Dish implement something like what DirecTV does? I'd be helpful!

DISH has the weather on the 8's before. I haven't tuned into The Weather Channel in a long long time so I dont know what they are doing now. I know the HD feed never had the Weather on the 8's feature, but the SD did.

sjvirchow said:
I was browsing around YouTube, and found this video, demonstrating most cable operators ability to have Local on the 8's customized to your specific location.
YouTube - An IntelliStar and a TWC satellite LF recorded at the same time! (Using Adobe After Effects)
I did some research, and apparently, DirecTV has found a way to do this, by using the Zip code assigned to your receiver! Not just that, but they've had this ability for 2+ years now!
I'm sure this isn't news to some of you, but it was to me when I found out! Going to Channel 100 and using the "application" is slow, and cumbersome. Why doesn't Dish implement something like what DirecTV does? I'd be helpful!

We were supposed to get something like it this last summer. I remember the press release.(which was after the tiff with TWC) dish never followed thru on their promise. Anyone hear why?

I've asked this question before and received NO answers. When Dtv started it it was offered only on the SD feed...after about a year it became available on the HD feed as well. Its not as complete as the cable version, no radar loop for one, but a plus that is not available to the cable subs, you can change the zip code and get the local forecasts for any zip in the country.

Why doesn't DISH have the same feature=a DEAD HORSE.

Scott Greczkowski said:
DISH has the weather on the 8's before. I haven't tuned into The Weather Channel in a long long time so I dont know what they are doing now. I know the HD feed never had the Weather on the 8's feature, but the SD did.

I've never seen local weather on the 8s SD or HD on dish. It's always been national radar.

I also agree that the weather application is slow loading and too cumbersome to use. There is no good excuse for DI
sH not having this by now. Funny how no one can even offer an answer why.

Now that the Weather Channel does the locals on the 8s with the regional radars, I don't really care if Dish/Weather Channel take it any further. That's the main thing I was interested in in the first place. Usually one your local channels will have weather available on some OTA subchannel anyway. If not, it takes about five seconds to go click on the weather channel website, weatherbug, etc.

Now that the Weather Channel does the locals on the 8s with the regional radars, I don't really care if Dish/Weather Channel take it any further. That's the main thing I was interested in in the first place. Usually one your local channels will have weather available on some OTA subchannel anyway. If not, it takes about five seconds to go click on the weather channel website, weatherbug, etc.

Exactly,I get 3 24 hour Weather Channels OTA(over the air?).:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)