Why is HD locals so important?

I want HD Locals via Satellite so I can DVR 2 or 3 of them at the same time.

Currently I have to pick and choose with the 622's.

I want HD Locals via Satellite so I can DVR 2 or 3 of them at the same time.

Currently I have to pick and choose with the 622's.
I hear you there. For this reason I hope they alway remain committed to OTA even after they have all the HD locals on sat.

[B said:
waltinvt][/b]
I know I'm sticking my neck out on this one :) but I think the OP's use of "IS" could be considered correct with "Why is HD Locals......", since the term "Locals" can be construed as a single entity (package) even though it consists of multiple stations. Sort of like "Dish HD" even though it contains multiple channels is still a "single" package.
Consider your head removed. Had he said local programming then is would have been correct. With the addition of the s on local then it has to be are for correct grammar.
But doesn't the word "locals" as it's used in the thread title reference a particular package that Dish offers and thus make it a collective noun in this case?

A collective noun, according to Webster's II: New Riverside University Dictionary is: "A noun that denotes a collection of persons or things regarded as a unit. usage: A collective noun takes a singular verb when the reference is to a group as a whole and a plural verb when the reference is to members of a group as single individuals: The orchestra was playing. The orchestra have all gone home.".

As the title is written ("Why is HD locals so important?") (and ignoring the Rules for proper capitalization of Titles), if Van had said, "Why is HD Locals so important?", then the collective noun would have been understood as "HD Locals", whereas the lowercase "locals" implies the channels as individual channels and deserving of the verb "are". Really, though, it could go either way.

I know, let's have Van post this verbatim over at AVS and see what the Forum Mods have to say... :D

Since this is in the Dish HD forum, I took the question to mean "Why are local HD channels delivered via Dishnetwork from your DMA so important?" and my answer is, "They aren't. Not to me, at least." I get all my local programming OTA. The only thing I use the Dish Locals for is recording our ABC affiliate (still no ATSC available from them) on the 622 and populating the EPG for the ATSC channels I do get for free.

As the title is written ("Why is HD locals so important?") (and ignoring the Rules for proper capitalization of Titles), if Van had said, "Why is HD Locals so important?", then the collective noun would have been understood as "HD Locals", whereas the lowercase "locals" implies the channels as individual channels and deserving of the verb "are". Really, though, it could go either way.

I know, let's have Van post this verbatim over at AVS and see what the Forum Mods have to say... :D

Why does how the question is asked so important?

Why does how the question is asked so important?

Since you asked... IMHO, if the question asks something I have an interest in, I'll read it. Otherwise, there are too many threads to keep track of and I can't attempt to read everything.

I could care less about other peoples' grammar levels (not my job) and I only ventured an opinion as to the confusion that some might experience trying to parse the title. Since the reason we all come together at SatelliteGuys.US is to share knowledge and our experiences, nit-picking peoples' post does little to foster an open exchange. If people feel that the Grammar Police are going to jump on every little "there / they're / their" mistake in their post, they may not post at all.

Since you asked... IMHO, if the question asks something I have an interest in, I'll read it. Otherwise, there are too many threads to keep track of and I can't attempt to read everything.

I could care less about other peoples' grammar levels (not my job) and I only ventured an opinion as to the confusion that some might experience trying to parse the title. Since the reason we all come together at SatelliteGuys.US is to share knowledge and our experiences, nit-picking peoples' post does little to foster an open exchange. If people feel that the Grammar Police are going to jump on every little "there / they're / their" mistake in their post, they may not post at all.

Everyone should just except people using broken grammar on the boards, sit back, and be quite.

(Yes, I used the wrong words on purpose). ;)

College Football (i.e. mainly ABC). A couple of series dramas.

Plus better overall quality than SD on Dish.

I get CBS and ABC OTA now, with occasional cutouts because of distance and my cheap amplifier. Bought all this after football season last year.

Im trying out charters hd box and service free for the next 30 days, the channel line up leaves alot to be desired and reminds me of when Dish first started offering hd years ago.

Locals are a part of the package but I havent been a big locals fan since the late 90's when alot of good content was shut down and replaced in the name of scripted fake reality tv ( Thanks Real world and Road rules ). For me the only shows I watch on local stations are the CSI shows and thats about it, there isnt anything else out there that appeals to me other than reruns of That 70's show.

What is the draw for HD locals for everyone here? Is it the news in hd? if thats the case then I guess that I dont lead that boring of a life. I know that sports is a draw but with espn and its clones showing sports programming in hd and more of it than the locals can again Im wondering what the appeal is and why its so hotly contested and debated as to when Dish is going to have locals in one city or another in hd.
For me, the only interest in HD locals would be sports content.I owuld like for instance top see PGA tourneys in HD....That's pretty cool...And of course NFL games. I watch few network shows..I don't need to see them in HD....I don't care...It's like anything else, once the novelty wears off, I yawn....
IMO people who are HD worriers are the ones spent the national debt of a small country for HD EQ in anticipation the programming would be readily availble..To these viewers it apparently has been a slow go of it..
Right now there is no HD in my home. As a tech I get that query all the time.."You install Dish and don't get HD?!!!". I am waiting for two things..One for the price of good tv's to come down and more HD programming to become available...To be honest though, I probably won't get it anyway..Too expensive...I can't afford another 20 to 30 dollars a month for tv....

But doesn't the word "locals" as it's used in the thread title reference a particular package that Dish offers and thus make it a collective noun in this case?

Sorry, you can't say "a locals". "A package of locals", but not "a locals".

Nice try, though.

PS Is it morally wrong to use bad grammar ? Is bad grammar a civil right ?

Grammar police

Only reason I said anything was because the subject was brought up. If there were grammar police 1/4 of the threads would have to be deleted. :) You didn't get that it was for levity by the way it was stated, then sorry:D

Other side of the fence

For me, the only interest in HD locals would be sports content.I owuld like for instance top see PGA tourneys in HD....That's pretty cool...And of course NFL games. I watch few network shows..I don't need to see them in HD....I don't care...It's like anything else, once the novelty wears off, I yawn....
IMO people who are HD worriers are the ones spent the national debt of a small country for HD EQ in anticipation the programming would be readily availble..To these viewers it apparently has been a slow go of it..
Right now there is no HD in my home. As a tech I get that query all the time.."You install Dish and don't get HD?!!!". I am waiting for two things..One for the price of good tv's to come down and more HD programming to become available...To be honest though, I probably won't get it anyway..Too expensive...I can't afford another 20 to 30 dollars a month for tv....

I'm for sure on the other side of the fence. I installed one of the earliest systems in the Seattle area for a co I worked for. I've been hooked ever since. It was a DT-100 by RCA boy was it a weird box that turned out to be incompatible with almost everything that has come out since. Yes it has been slow go of it as you have said. Yes some of the equipment is way overpriced. But that has always been the norm in electronics. The new tech stuff always comes out at way too high a price. Then trickle down takes place as it is now. I have seen smaller HDTV's under $500 so it is happening. I too am still waiting as all of us are to see more programming. But I don't regret the $$ I have spent on the system I have now. It has given me great pleasure for the past 5 yrs. I'm now on my 5th HD receiver. The weights a ton CRT HDTV Panny is still working good. So in summary it is a case of each to his own & YMMV.

Recording a PPV

622 never gets all the programs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)