Why is my Hopper HD 8% full with 5 recordings?

Brodieb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Maryville, MO
I thought the Hopper had a 2 tb hard drive, if that is the case why is my DVR menu showing it is already 8% full with 5 recordings? At that rate I will be out of space by 60 recordings or so. Is it counting PTAT? I have only had it since Monday.

I transferred a bunch of unviewed recordings from my 722. As of yesterday, approx 80 1 hour HD recordings (some OTA mixed in with Sat mpeg4) took up just over 40% of the available drive space. I have PTAT and can verify that that is not altering the percentage.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Unless you save the PTAT recordings to your dvr from the PTAT folder it will not affect it...I have four recordings 7% full...2 movies (2 hr 2 min and 1 hr 42 min) and 2 tv shows (1 hr 4 min and 49 minutes)...just put my mouse cursor on the percentage shown on dishonline.com and it says I have 105 hr 38 min HD/812hr 32 min SD

I checked Dish Online and mine says 105 hours 34 minutes in HD. That is a big amount, so I will stop worrying.

I prefer the 722's DVR that showed time versus percentage used.

Last edited:
Allamand said:
So are you saying that if PTAT is not enabled, the Hopper still only has 500GB user space?

A user can turn PTAT on at any time so that space has to be available for it. Otherwise, imagine the uproar when someone is using that space for their recordings and someone else in the house turns on PTAT. There go some recordings out the window to make room for PTAT. Much better to leave the user accessible capacity at a fixed amount. Besides which, attaching a EHD is free now.

So sad, I already paid for the EHD function :) Plus I now read that the Sling will not see anything from the EHD... :(

Allamand said:
So sad, I already paid for the EHD function :) Plus I now read that the Sling will not see anything from the EHD... :(

I paid for it too and achieved a bunch of programming between the time I paid for it and the time it was made free. Well worth the investment in my opinion.

Not sure about the sling issue, but the simple solution is to transfer something from the EHD to receiver if you know or think you might want to access it via sling in the near future.

Not sure about the sling issue, but the simple solution is to transfer something from the EHD to receiver if you know or think you might want to access it via sling in the near future.

A simpler solution IMO would be to have it work as it does now on the 722...

Why make more steps for the end user? Makes no sense. Most users would not think to move shows off the EHD before going camping or on vacation, they have other things needed to be done. And with the fact that this is NOT really
the largest HD dvr now that one knows how it works in storing the recordings, the EHD would be used even more so. Programers that make this software really need to either have more user input or take a reality class.

A user can turn PTAT on at any time so that space has to be available for it. Otherwise, imagine the uproar when someone is using that space for their recordings and someone else in the house turns on PTAT. There go some recordings out the window to make room for PTAT. Much better to leave the user accessible capacity at a fixed amount. Besides which, attaching a EHD is free now.
No. It would be much better to not allow enabling PTAT when there isn't enough space for it. It could easily display a warning message alerting you there isn't enough space to enable, and if you wish to enable, you must free xx amount of space by deleting recordings or transferring to an EHD.

They also don't need to reserve so much for pre-downloaded VOD. I can stream any VOD programming I'm interested in. I don't need 1.5TB space wasted on my HDD for features I don't use. (I'm not sure how much of the 1.5TB is reserved for PTAT and how much is for VOD.)

Is the OP on Eastern Arc or Western? If Western, they need to yell at Dish and ask them why they aren't pushing the conversion to MPEG4 yet.

GaryPen said:
No. It would be much better to not allow enabling PTAT when there isn't enough space for it. It could easily display a warning message alerting you there isn't enough space to enable, and if you wish to enable, you must free xx amount of space by deleting recordings or transferring to an EHD.

They also don't need to reserve so much for pre-downloaded VOD. I can stream any VOD programming I'm interested in. I don't need 1.5TB space wasted on my HDD for features I don't use. (I'm not sure how much of the 1.5TB is reserved for PTAT and how much is for VOD.)

I agree with this in regards to the space reserved for VOD and such. However, PTAT is not related to that and is supposed to be as simple as two button presses for users. Always reserving space for it makes sense to me. It's the thing that differentiates the Hopper from everything else out there. I'm sure the more tech savvy consumers would love to set up their own allocation parameters, but the majority of consumers are not like that. I don't see Dish changing this going forward, since it could potentially result in more tech assist calls for people who unintentionally mess things up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts