Why no a la carte HD HBO or SHO?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vetboy44

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
I am wondering why HBO HD and SHO HD are not offered seperate from their respective packages? Is that the call of HBO and Showtime or Dish? I for one will not order the whole packages just to get 1 channel of HD per service. How many of you that don't have HBO or Showtime would order them if you could just pay $5 per channel for the HD alone?

Actually if you subscribe to HBO or Showtime HD you get the rest of the HBO or Showtime package for free. :D

If you think of it that way your not doing too bad. :D

Remember that just a few years ago HBO was $12 a month for just 1 HBO. :D My how times have changed.

DarrellP said:
I would never pay $5 for a single channel. Now $2-$3 yes, but not $5.

I would pay $5 for HBO HD by itself, I'm paying for the whole package right now, and I never watch the SD HBOs.

If you have an HD projector like that, I wouldn't think you would be too concerned about an extra $5/mo. ;)

I would also like to be able to order them alone as a single channel pack. My local cable company only offers them in their 2 channel groupings of the E+W coast feeds for about $5 per group. I wish E* and D* would also do that, that would make be want to subscribe to them, since I don't need all the other SD's in the package.

jsanders said:
I would pay $5 for HBO HD by itself, I'm paying for the whole package right now, and I never watch the SD HBOs.

If you have an HD projector like that, I wouldn't think you would be too concerned about an extra $5/mo. ;)

It's not the $$, it's the principle. I pay Dish $28/month now for 11 channels, the 4 HD channels (HD Pack) (I don't count the Demo/PPV/HDEVENT as channels) and my 7 locals. I don't count the extra SD garbage that's available for "free" as counting toward my channel count since I don't watch them. It's extortion to charge more than a few $$/channel and I refuse to pay, I can get plenty of free HD OTA, I don't need Dish, they need ME! :p

DarrellP said:
I don't count the extra SD garbage that's available for "free" as counting toward my channel count since I don't watch them.

I couldn't agree more, which is why making the HD channels available alone is a great idea in my opinion. Of course the cost will be determined by the marketplace, just like it was for Discovery HD.

My guess is that you cannot order them ala carte, because HBO/SHo wouldnt let them. They figure if you want it that bad, you'll buy the whole package. Its a way to get you to spend more $$.

bsic said:
My guess is that you cannot order them ala carte, because HBO/SHo wouldnt let them. They figure if you want it that bad, you'll buy the whole package. Its a way to get you to spend more $$.
Why wouldn't Dish or DirecTV keep trying to get HBO and SHO to let them offer them alone? I can get both of them as E+W coast feed packages alone on my local cable system (as analog, digital, or HD), in fact that is the only way they offer almost all of their premium channels. :)

So, if I understand correctly, for your $9.99 a month, you get HDNET, HDNET Movies, ESPN HD, and Discovery HD.

The only way to get Showtime HD and HBO HD is to subscribe to the respective movie packages?

I just want to be clear on this (forgive my ignorance)...

aperry,

You understand exactly what current Dishnet practice is regarding HBO and Showtime HD. Personally, I think they should both be part of the $9.95/month HD Pack. That would be an excellent HDTV marketing move by Dishnet

So then, IMHO, the HD package is not really worth the $9.99 they charge...

I may have to rethink my plans of acquiring an 811. Not sure if it is worth $149/$199 plus $120 in HD programming costs and $60 for the extra receiver (makes my total cost over the first year $329-$379 and then I have to keep paying at a minimum $5 a month to keep the receiver active so that I can get my OTA channels)...

Maybe if they had a few other channels included, I would be more interested, but I don't know what I'm gonna do. And given that my CBS and ABC channels are the only ones in my area offering OTA HD at this time, and the problems the 811 has if you don't have a strong signal (the antennas here are pitifully weak), it may not even pick up the OTA signals.

What to do, what to do...

aperry,

HD is expensive from ALL providers.. most are chaging ~$10 for just a few channels. VOOM gives lots of channels for a higher price, but you need to foot the bill for install for now.

So i guess you choice is either a) get expensive HD channels, or b) wait until the price comes down.

Dont think you'll find it cheap anywhere.

Well, my main interest at this point is to pick up OTA HD, and I figured that $149/199 was not too bad a price to get something that could pick them up with. Once the HD programming gets to a price point that is reasonable, then I could activate the Dish HD.

I was really thinking that it was a good deal (when I thought HBO/Show HD were included) to get it for $9.99 a month. Given that it does not, I am having to rethink the whole thing. And I know that DirecTV charges $10.99 for their HD package (which includes the same channels).

If Dish is indeed in the process of working something out with Voom, or they decide to offer more channels for the $9.99 a month, I would be way more interested.

Fact is that I can get an OTA HD receiver (non-Dish) for $199 (sure, it's an open box, but a really reasonable price). Then, perhaps if Dish comes around with more channels or lowers the price on this package, I could get an 811 and recoup some of my costs on my OTA HD receiver on eBay.

Decisions, decisions...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)