Why not a satellite + IPTV hybrid system?

OoTLink

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2005
Ya know, with OnDemand being such a "great" reason to have Cable, I just realized there's a damn easy way to get around this without having to make the equipment more expensive or anything insane like that..

Why not just make an IPTV/Satellite-based hybrid setup? You'd have IPTV for OnDemand -- TOTALLY not based on a specific location, if you had a fast enough internet line it'd be instant, if not you'd have to wait a little bit for the show to download, but you'd still have On Demand, technically..

It wouldn't even necessarily have to be a requirement either. For people on an RV or in far out areas, it might not be available, but it'd almost totally kill the requirement for "the rest of us"..

Since Dish Network likes to sell DSL too, it'd be a good way to sell both! ["With Dish Network and SBC DSL you get free OnDemand!"] -- a combo package that'd be just as competitive as any other on all points :D

So yeah, even as a delayed stream or a download-and-then-play (maybe even download to DVR so it loads instantly every time).. it'd get better/faster as faster internet options are available!

Can't believe that sort of thing hasn't come up as such the HUGE great possibility it'd be. I'd LOVE it, and if dish network could advertise that as well as perhaps showcase the really nice features no cable company I've seen yet offers on their hardware, they could definitely gain some more customers..

(things that come to mind = distants [maybe not local distants but superstation distants], more international programming options, the boxes always being "professionally installed" -- not dropping off a used box and such, the software being quite a bit more functional (even if not as stable) -- on most cable systems the only "favorites" list requires you to surf it by mashing a "FAV" button and you only get ONE list.. yeah..

Call it silly, but even one of my mom's redneck friends was seriously impressed at how "nice" our dish box was in comparison to the digital cable stuff they had.

Hehe, but yeah.. IPTV would probably be the best way to do this :D

IPTV is truely a great idea. I had it in Phoenix with qwest VDSL. You had a box hooked up to a VDSL loop and 3 hookup outs on it and you had 3 RF remotes. Basically you would call for a channel and it would stream it to you over the loop saves alot on bandwith. My VDSL looop synced up at 46Mbps very nice :).

I agree that its a technically feasible combo but I just dont think companies like to share or be reliant on other parts. As soon as people figure out that they watch mostly on demand stuff using their network or DSL line, telcos and cable provide my internet, so remind me why I have satellite. I think satellite is deathly afraid that their distribution method is severely limited.

It will never be able to replace DSL or cable for internet. The ping rates and delay using internet over satellite cant compare to DSL/cable so you will never see wide spread use of internet over sat. The distance and time lag can not be physically improved unless worm holes are invented. So I think satellite is putting all their energy into finding ways of providing VOD and other creative offerings over their sats. Even the Dish/SBC partnership will problably end once Project Lightspeed is offering VOIP in enough areas.

So unless sats can offer creative stuff that cable and telcos cant, the satellite model is in trouble in the next few years. They have a strong customer base but even that may have come close to peaking. And now all their energies will have to be placed against retention rather than aquisition. The real challenge is combo Video, Phone, Internet. Cable has the advantage right now and if Telco's can nail the combo with their new video offerings and fiber internet, sats are gonna find themselves the odd man out.

This doesn't really make sense. If you have functioning IPTV why would you need a dish hooked up? They can supply 100's of channels over IPTV. I think this is the future if it is truly scalable. We'll see in the next 18 months how realistic their goals are.

glenn z said:
This doesn't really make sense. If you have functioning IPTV why would you need a dish hooked up? They can supply 100's of channels over IPTV. I think this is the future if it is truly scalable. We'll see in the next 18 months how realistic their goals are.

Exactly. Whether the first phase for telco works or not, IPTV will have a prominent position in the future. glenn said it, if you can do IPTV why bother with a satellite distribution method and why bother paying for a separate provider. My cable/telco gets my internet, cell, phone at a discount bundled price, why not VOIP?

Easy. The "IPTV" would only be used for the ondemand stuff, the satellite stuff would be used otherwise.

Why? Portability. You could still move the system and hook it up anywhere you have a dish pointing south and it'll still work (albeit without ondemand). You could use it with any kind of internet line you wished to, after all I'm thinking of a VoIP-ish system.

"What if the cable/dsl company found out I was using their line for someone elses VoIP?"

What if they found out I was using someone elses VoIP? Who cares? I pay them enough. If I can't do whatever I want with my internet line, I'll move over to some other company. Why should you have to feel the need to be "loyal" to your internet provider? It's a violation of your privacy to be snooping around on your line to find out what you're using on it ANYWAY.

And why bother if you find out your phone/cable company has such things? Oh that's easy -- freedom of choice. If I found out my phone company was offering me TV service too, I'd check it out I'm sure, but I probably wouldn't like it.

The problem is most so far use those wonky motorola boxes, and as far as I'm concerned the hardware stinks. Even Verizon's been doing that on their FIOS TV service and I'm amazed that they didn't do more research at least on the software half..

That's half the problem -- those who DON'T use the crappy "standard" cable system use microsoft software. I'll endorse microsoft for things other than OTHER people (preferably those I don't know)'s computers OSes when pigs fly.

I dont think you are getting the point Ootlink. Its not that it cant happen and there are some awesome things you could do but when it comes down to it, its about economics and bundled pricing. Most dont actually care where they get video from but that they do. Cable lost to satellite in the 90's becuase cable had less channels and dish offered different choices at better quality. That lead is gone now. In fact other than NFL Sunday Ticket, you can get more stuff with cable in most parts of the country including HD locals and HD sports.

I dont like cable myself but if telco or cable gives me everything I want bundled for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the mixed satellite/internet/cell/land phone price, I will switch and I think others will too.

I guess you happen to live in one of those happy go lucky areas where the phone company calls begging you to sign up for their cheap service and the cable company gives you tons of fully digital channels for some really low price.

Out here, that isn't so. SBC will only give you DSL at a rate that isn't extortion if you take a contract, comcast has the worst customer service out here I've EVER seen from anywhere -- it's so bad I have no idea how they keep customers, but their billing is just as screwy too.

For those who live in a FIOS area or have a really nice down to earth landline provider, I can agree with ya, but for the rest of us it's nice to find "other" companies you can turn to that won't burn your ass or haven't already.

I think the people you speak of "if it works I'll use it" people -- are probably a minority on this forum.

OOTlink... sounds like you live in southern chicago... :) Its the same here.. Crapcast lasted 2 hours in my house before kicked them out.. SBC has slower speeds at a resonable price.. if you sign a contract... and most of all NO FIBER!!! Sbc was supposidly doing some thing called Prodject light speed but I dont see them rolling that one out at all. If they seriously had plans to compete and roll it out like verizon, we would see a roll out now..

Brewer4 said:
I dont think you are getting the point Ootlink. Its not that it cant happen and there are some awesome things you could do but when it comes down to it, its about economics and bundled pricing. Most dont actually care where they get video from but that they do. Cable lost to satellite in the 90's becuase cable had less channels and dish offered different choices at better quality. That lead is gone now. In fact other than NFL Sunday Ticket, you can get more stuff with cable in most parts of the country including HD locals and HD sports.

I dont like cable myself but if telco or cable gives me everything I want bundled for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the mixed satellite/internet/cell/land phone price, I will switch and I think others will too.

I DID WITH SBC'S DEAL! CUT MY BILL BY AT LEAST 100.00 HAVING IT ALL SEPERATE

goaliebob99 said:
OOTlink... sounds like you live in southern chicago... :) Its the same here.. Crapcast lasted 2 hours in my house before kicked them out.. SBC has slower speeds at a resonable price.. if you sign a contract... and most of all NO FIBER!!! Sbc was supposidly doing some thing called Prodject light speed but I dont see them rolling that one out at all. If they seriously had plans to compete and roll it out like verizon, we would see a roll out now..

THEY HAVE ACTUALLY STARTED ROLLING PROJECT LIGHSPEED OUT IN PHASES, THEY HAVE A FEW TEST MARKETS UP AND RUNNING IN THEIR SERVICE AREAS. HERES A DIRECT FACT QUOTE:

Through the Project Lightspeed initiative, SBC Communications Inc. will deploy a next-generation IP-based network to deliver IP-based TV, broadband and voice services using fiber-to-the-neighborhood and fiber-to-the-premises technologies.

* SBC is adding about 40,000 miles of fiber, bringing fiber even closer to customers' homes.

* SBC expects to reach approximately 18 million households as part of its initial deployment, and additional homes as the technology scales and deployment costs decrease.

* SBC plans a controlled market entry at the end of 2005 or early 2006, and will add more features and functionality and enter more markets beginning in mid-2006.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts