Why phone connection is required for VIP and/or dual-turner receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
Just exactly which receiver requires phone connection? If VIP and/or dual turner ones require it, why not the older receiver?

Any insight? Legally and technically?

Newer dual tuners do not require phone line connected, just suggested. Of course you are charged for not following the suggestion. Probably a combination for Dish to know where those particular receivers are - an easy way for Dish to charge more money. 942, 622 and 625 have the additional charge, there are probably others, but I am not sure which ones they may be. The 921 does not need the phone line connected.

garys said:
Newer dual tuners do not require phone line connected, just suggested. Of course you are charged for not following the suggestion. Probably a combination for Dish to know where those particular receivers are - an easy way for Dish to charge more money. 942, 622 and 625 have the additional charge, there are probably others, but I am not sure which ones they may be. The 921 does not need the phone line connected.

Add the 322 to the ones you listed above.

smooth28la said:
Just exactly which receiver requires phone connection? If VIP and/or dual turner ones require it, why not the older receiver?

It's a TUNER, not turner.

You have to play by the rules sometimes, their rules say you need a phone line or you get to give them an extra $5 a month. Pretty simple if you ask me . . . :D

What happened to local repair service.

retorq said:
You have to play by the rules sometimes, their rules say you need a phone line or you get to give them an extra $5 a month. Pretty simple if you ask me . . . :D
My telephone modem just died on one of my 622s. E* is sending me a new 622. So they must think it is important to be connected.
I cannot believe they just don't come out and replace the modem. I guess they don't trust the local guys to be able to fix it. Now I have to view 80 hours of stored programs before I return the old 622. They need to get the external storage system working. As more of the 622 start to fail, they need a way to download the harddrives or they will get many disatisfied customers.

smooth28la said:

Basically it was always required (legally) and is not required technically. Only with the newer tuners have they put in a penalty for not complying. Expect that eventually they will put in a penalty on all users with more than one receiver, and possibly even those with one receiver. :p

odbrv said:
My telephone modem just died on one of my 622s. E* is sending me a new 622. So they must think it is important to be connected.
I cannot believe they just don't come out and replace the modem. I guess they don't trust the local guys to be able to fix it. Now I have to view 80 hours of stored programs before I return the old 622. They need to get the external storage system working. As more of the 622 start to fail, they need a way to download the harddrives or they will get many disatisfied customers.

Modem is on the mainboard unable to repair locally makes bus. sense to swap out with a refurb unit.

The reason Dish wants you to have your box connected to a phone line is because Charlie hates pirates and account stackers more than just about anything else in all of DishLand, and understandably so. Number two, it does facilitate the odering of PPV's as an impulse buy. But those who don't pay what they should be paying according to the residential agreement are always tops to gun-down on his list.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)