Why was WMUR dumped for us NH residents.

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
I read the story about the distant networks, but I was under the impression that WMUR was not legally considered a distant network but in fact was a significally viewed or "SV" channel that was protected under a different set of rules.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. NH residents demand the right to watch their only news from their NH station WMUR.

Bob
N1WBD

The portion of the SHVREA that specifically allowed WMUR to be redistributed to the rest of NH is in the same section as the rest of the distant networks. Unfortunately, there was not "except" in the injunction. Congress needs to rewrite that section of the law for Dish to be allowed to carry WMUR to the rest of NH

See ya
Tony

Close, but not quite correct. Here are the sections that provided the statutory license to various types of stations.

17 USC 119(a)(1)..............Superstations
17 USC 119(a)(2)..............Network Stations ("DNS")
17 USC 119(a)(2)(C)(i)......WMUR
17 USC 119(a)(2)(C)(ii)......certain Vermont areas
17 USC 119(a)(2)(C)(iii).....certain Oregon areas
17 USC 119(a)(2)(C)(iv).....Jackson, MS stations to border counties
17 USC 119(a)(3)(A)..........Significantly Viewed

While WMUR is SV in some areas of NH, it was under this authority that it was provided to NH residents. Once the license was lost - WMUR (in fact, all of the above) went away.

The portion of the SHVREA that specifically allowed WMUR to be redistributed to the rest of NH is in the same section as the rest of the distant networks. Unfortunately, there was not "except" in the injunction. Congress needs to rewrite that section of the law for Dish to be allowed to carry WMUR to the rest of NH

See ya
Tony

in some markets it is

This past summer, Dish gave markets with no WB in the market either WB Miami or San Diego. When the CW started, they switched most of us to either WPIX or KTLA. Cinci kept WB Miami for some reason

so I see the supers in 232-238 (KTLA, WPIX, WWOR, WSBK, KWGN) and 251, which is a mirror of WPIX for a CW in my locals package

Superstations are not part of it. I still have all 5 of mine (including 2 WPIX channels)

They still use the same license. They simply were not part of the lawsuit (and thus not part of the injunction). SV that are not Big 4 aren't affected either. The original question was about WMUR, which is an ABC station and thus included. A Big 4 station is covered even if it being provided as SV. However, in this case, WMUR is not being provided under the SV section but its own special provision. This is why it is/was available everywhere in NH but nowhere (even SV areas) that are not in the state (except for its own DMA as LIL, of course).

So its the same feed as I get them. I did see that in another thread you mentioned it after reading the first post. Dont suppose there is a chance of Dish getting a west coast MY. After all if they could upload San Diego and Miami WB why not a San Diego MY.

Dish doesnt have any SV channels that werent the Big 4

Ok. I don't keep up with that. The impact then is that Dish cannot add any Big 4 SV but can add non-Big 4 SV to its heart's content. I thought Dish had indicated a desire to add SV in some systematic way. It may be useful. I know people who live and breathe CW. Not many like that but they exist.

if a market doesnt have a CW (or the CW in the area if digital subchannel invokes syndex rules) Dish adds either WPIX or KTLA

My market (Duluth, MN) has cable only CW so I get WPIX as part of my locals

I read the story about the distant networks, but I was under the impression that WMUR was not legally considered a distant network but in fact was a significally viewed or "SV" channel that was protected under a different set of rules.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. NH residents demand the right to watch their only news from their NH station WMUR.

Bob
N1WBD

WMUR's News at 5 had a brief story on Dec. 1 about Echostar's problems with Distant Networks. They reported that both Senators John Sununu and Judd Gregg are working on getting WMUR back to Dish customers in the 'North Country'.

John

So does this mean that all big 4 SV channels went away as a result of this ruling (for example some DC channels that are cross-fed into the baltimore market?)

Robert NTSC Archivist said:
After all if they could upload San Diego and Miami WB why not a San Diego MY.
Big difference here...

The CW and the former WB are both considered "networks" according to the law. That of course means a license is triggered for use, and can be used to deliver the CW as a distant network.

MyNetworkTV is not considered a network under section 17 USC 119. Therefore, the only two ways to deliver the network are:

1) use WWOR, as it is a superstation; or,
2) come to a contract with MyNetworkTV to rebroadcast a channel nationwide, which also means MyNetworkTV would have to clear all their content on any station nationally. Because most of the My stations have some kind of sports programming, that will be impossible.

gregm99 said:
So does this mean that all big 4 SV channels went away as a result of this ruling (for example some DC channels that are cross-fed into the baltimore market?)
Exactly.

New Tivo pricing vs 622

NPS Denied me Distants what's next???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)