Why would a company be so willing to loose a customer... over so little money?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Patriot6901

Original poster
Oct 22, 2006
The following is an except.. before anyone suggests I have contacted the DiRT team and no one has given me a response... If I was an investor in this company, I would run for the hills... anyway... hope it is okay to post this whole thing..

chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): Hi, my name is Michelle (ID: GP5). How may I help you?
chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): Thank you for contacting the customer loyalty helpdesk at dish. Please give me a few moments to review the previous chat. If you need to reference this chat my name is Michelle and my operator ID is GP5. I am looking forward to helping you today.
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: Hi.. while I was waiting I composed a message...

chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: Hi, IU just got transferred to you… As you can see on my account notes, we have a cancelation request to take effect on Monday, however I would really not like to have to cancel; but the events of the last couple days have really infuriated me..

We had signed up for service, between six and seven weeks ago. We were supposed to get a 722K box, that would act as a “whole home dvr” service for us (We only have two tv’s.. both 3D HDTV’s)… as we were current Directv customers with that service… So, since we figured that would work, we decided to go ahead and sign up for service…

When the installer got her and installed the dish, the Picture Quality of the second tv turned out to be horrible, it was a really blurry and unacceptable picture.. So we said, hey we have directv it works… we are happy with it, thank you for coming out… Not wanting to lose our business, The tech called into someone on the phone and we were told basically that if we continued the install and remained customers, when they NEW whole home DVR product was available, we would be allowed to upgrade to it, because of the issues we have had….. so with that confirmed via phone and installer, we decided to go through with the install…
Now we are being told that we are not eligible to upgrade and we must pay something like 684 dollars to do this…. During our initial call, we even said, we could wait until it was offered to take advantage of whatever special was being offered, but we were told again, if we signed up then, we would be afforded whatever offer was being offered…
Unfortunately, this was not to be the case… Now, I am not trying to be unreasonable? I thought I might have to pay 99 dollars or something to that effect, but to try to squeeze 684 dollars out of a customer, who was told “they wouldn’t have to worry”, to be basically seems like a bait and switch… This is why I have asked to have the service cancelled..
Like I said, I do not want to HAVE to do this.. I do not want to have to call DirecTV back and have them set up our service again, but our of principal, I cannot seeing continuing to pay for service when I have been led to believe I would be getting a service I am not.

chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: that sort of sums up my frustrations.. situations..
chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): Hello Arlene. Give me a few moments to read what you have written. I will be right with you.
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: take your time.. :)
chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): I completely understand your frustration Arlene. I know you are wanting the Hopper. You are so new that it we just need a little time to be able to do that for the 99.00 fee. I know it is just infuriating. Let me see what I can do. I will be right back.
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: ok
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: and I do understand that I am "new".. but that is why I had the conversation when we signed up.. I wanted to make sure this very situation didn't happen.. I was more than comfortable waiting for the product to be released.. in order to take advantage of the "new" customer special.. if we were not "promised" that, we would have cancelled that day, and then would be signing up right now..as a "new" customer, instead of now considering cancelling and never comming back.....
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: but I do thank you for taking the time to look into this
chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): I understand. I am seeing if I can get the fee waived. I can absolutely get a technician out to see if we can fix the picture on the 2nd TV until then.
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: No, we ended up getting a 622 box which fixed the picture quality.. however leads to dvr fustration becauxse we cannot watch the same show in both rooms
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: 612
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: rather
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: I think.. some sort of box with a DVR.. where its frustrating because things are randomly deleting off of the dvr as well.
chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): I do see that. It looks like you have a 722 and a 612. We will be able to get that for you with the better price very soon. We just need a little time.
chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): It should definitely not be doing that.
chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): Can I send you a new one?It sounds like that one DVR is having a issue.
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: That is not what I want though.. the 612 was only supposed to be "quick fix" to keep us happy until the new line of boxes came out..
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: like i said we were promised this..when we signed up... if we wern't promised, we wouldn't have signed up..
chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): I do understand Arlene.
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: I would be signing up today ..and would have zero problems.. instead.. I am unhappy because I have to go in between rooms.. and I have shows disappearing and I've been lied too (from what it seems)
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: I am thinking that keeping me as a customer isn't important.. I can go back to directv and have the whole home dvr... i just didn't think companies really wanted to loose customers
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: to me I am not being unreasonable.. we were promised the whatever the new customer office was.. (which is free).. I am even willing to pay what the current customer upgrade fee is which is 99 dollars... that to me is a happy medium
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: and not an unrealistic request based upon the promise I was given
chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): I understand. Give me just a moment to see what I can do. I need to talk to a supervisor. I will be right back.
chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): Arlene. Thank you for your patience. I am not able to override the price. We would just need to wait just a bit for the upgraded to become available for you. I am so sorry.
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: Its okay.. I guess I will go through with that complementary cancelling set forth on Monday and bring my business elsewhere where I can get the whole home service... Its hard to continue to do business with a company when they have lied to you
chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): I am sorry I was not able to get this done for you Arlene. I tried really hard.
chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): If you do opt to take the survey that will pop up after we have finished, it is for the service I have provided for you today. Have a wonderful day and thank you for contacting dish!
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: like I said, I was willing to meet halfway, no one can give an EXACT time frame on waiting "a bit".. I have seen people online say theyve been customers for 14 years and were told to wait... so again, like I said, we were promised..
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: before you leave what exactly is the "best price" you can offer and what is "how long"?
chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): I am not sure on the how long. It goes on an account by account basis. Let me see if I can price it out for you. With it being in a voluntary disconnect it will take me just a moment.
chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): Right now the Hopper is 449.0 and each Joey would be 99.00. If you can wait for just a bit we would be able to lower that by over 1/2. I am not able to discount anything at this time. I am so sorry.
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: that is fine, I thank you for trying.. obviously I am not willing to wait, I was told I could have it.. all I would have had to do was wait six weeks and I could have had it completely free.. like said.. I have had nothing but problems with the current setup.. pixelation.. recordings from my dvr disappearing.. all of that..
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: all the way I have been told oh well... i figured all I had to do was wait for the next box.. now I am being told this.. so yes, as you can see I have been "promised" once, no further "promises" (i.e. wait a bit.. when the "bit" cannot be defined) hold much water..
chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): I am really sorry. If I could waive the fees for you I would but I cannot.
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: That is fine, I know the position your are in, I am just shocked that someone in that building is okay with the fact they are losing a customer
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: your manager does know we are canceling right?
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: like over 350 dollars he is going to loose a customer who will spend about 2400 dollars a year
chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): Yes. There is a cancel set up for you. I really am sorry Arlene.
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: Okay, just so that is known..
chat_enduser_message.png
Arlene McKay: there is nobody higher than you?
chat_agent.png
Michelle (ID: GP5): There is but yu have reached the highest level available via chat. To speak with a supervisor please call us at 1-800-333-3474 or 1-888-683-6074.

Sounds like they did what they could for you, recent customers are just not able to use Dish'n it up to get the $99 upgrade.

Last edited:
Yes, but read what I was promised.. I had no problems cancelling six weeks ago when I got a crappy PQ on my second 722 tv.. they kept me by saying they would offer be whatever the new customer offer was for this new box.. I could have cancelled six weeks ago and come back as a new customer now, I didn't on the premise that I would be offered this.... anyway.... just want as many people as possible to see the poor business practices practiced..

Don't forget, you are going to get with a pretty hefty early termination fee...22 months @ at leatst $15.00. Be fairly warned.

Seems like a legitimate complaint, but don't see dish caving in. Cxl cc that you used to signup before cancelling, if already charged dispute it with cc company.
On a unrelated note I used to work for a retailer that was charged back the install & equipment, a big chunk of $$$. Customer had cancer and died within a couple of months of getting service. Dish's response was referring to the business rules.........unbelievable.

Seems like a legitimate complaint, but don't see dish caving in. Cxl cc that you used to signup before cancelling, if already charged dispute it with cc company.
On a unrelated note I used to work for a retailer that was charged back the install & equipment, a big chunk of $$$. Customer had cancer and died within a couple of months of getting service. Dish's response was referring to the business rules.........unbelievable.

Which is why my local retailer preferred Direct over Dish. :)

they cancelled it for free...
that's great. If it were me, i'd be take that and run to a competitor after that experience!

They did you a big favor with just that. There's nothing that can be done to fix the fact that new customers are rarely entitled to discounted upgrades. It's ashame you weren't able to post on the forums before you agreed to that wrong CSR info as we would have told you not to do it.

I still don't see how it's legal for them to not have to honor a price given by a CSR even if it's wrong. The CSR is an authorized agent of the company, and a verbal contract is a valid contract under common law.

I still don't see how it's legal for them to not have to honor a price given by a CSR even if it's wrong. The CSR is an authorized agent of the company, and a verbal contract is a valid contract under common law.

if you want to take them to court and get a verbal contract enforced you are welcomed to. That doesn't mean you automatically get what somebody told you in a he said, she said battle. Just because something may be legal or illegal doesn't mean it automatically happens

not being an a-hole, just stating how the law works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)