wide berth

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtgold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
nutmeg state
somebody told me ct passed a law if you see a cop parked on the highway in the breakdown lane you have to change lanes and get into the passing lane going by or it's a $180 fine.True or bs?

Might check AAA website for information on state's traffic laws....we have something like that here, applies to passing officer with a vehicle stopped, have to change lanes in AL, multi-lane roadways that is.

depends on the state. In Minnesota on a 4 lane highway the rule is very simple

If a cop or any emergency vehicle is on the shoulder and you are in the right lane you have 2 options
-if nobody is in the left lane move your ass over there
-if you can't move over...you have to slow down

If you go flying by the cop in the right lane you'll probably get a ticket but if you slow down you'll be fine

but each state varies

News to me. But I'll take it as good advice and act accordingly.

They just passed a similar law in Oklahoma this past year. You have to move over and leave a clear lane or slow down if you can't change lanes.

Sent from my blazing fast galaxy s3 using SatelliteGuys

it dawned on me;what if the car is an unmarked police car?
Now every time you see a car in the breakdown lane you are going to have to change lanes just to be on the safe side.

unless its lights are on you dont know....therefore shouldn't apply

again in most states that have these laws its when the cop has someone pulled over or is pulled over for emergency situations....not him just sitting there waiting for you to speed by

If its is unmarked and has no Lightbars it cannot pull anyone over,

Well you should be doing that already, but it's not the law.

I guess you never saw unmarked cars with the lights embedded in the grill.
without the lights on,it looks like a regular car.
They were noted for using cars confiscated,so it could be anything.
I even saw a corvette cop car once.

I did. If you can't see lights from the rear, it's not a cop car.

If truly unmarked, they call a marked car in for the stop.

Sorry, but that is not true for every state if at all.

It's a law in the same way you're not supposed to talk on your cell phone while driving. It's against the law, but odds are you can do it every day and not get caught (not saying you should of course)

The only time I used my cell phone in a vehicle was when it was disabled and I called AAA.
Other than that there is no need.

It's a law in the same way you're not supposed to talk on your cell phone while driving. It's against the law, but odds are you can do it every day and not get caught (not saying you should of course)

Where is this law? I know they've tried to get a mandate requiring the use of hands free driving devices, but its not against the law to drive and talk on the phone around here yet.

If it were, I would be having officers go back and issue tickets everyday on some of the collision reports I review

And there is a difference between hand held and hands-free, such as bluetooth. Or wired headsets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)