Wife requests a DVR. Suggestions?

Indy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 13, 2004
Indiana
Here we are in premier week and I can not program the VCR for my wife to catch the new network shows. :rolleyes: I have Dish with the top 120 pack and the HD packs.

We are talking SD not HD for the DVR. My wife just wants a one button solution to record her favorite shows on network TV and Dish for time shifting at a minimal cost.

I am holding out for the HD solution at a latter date to trade my 811 and 6000. So for now let's leave that consideration off the table and only consider SD solutions for the DVR.

Claude, anything in the backroom at the store I may be interested in?:up
Suggestions?:)

Log on to the dish network website & see what they are offering you

get dish->offers->best equipment offers
or
upgrade equip.->Dish n it up & see what receiver offer they have

Last edited:
I found a 508 on Ebay. Looks interesting if the price ends up right.

I like my 721. You can watch a live show while recording another or record 2 live shows while watching a prerecorded one. Also there is no DVR fee either. The only down side is you need to run a second cable.

If SD is all you want to record, then get a 625. You'll get Name Based Recording (similar to what the Tivo does) vs the 5xx series that does not do NBR.

thiggin2 said:
I like my 721. You can watch a live show while recording another or record 2 live shows while watching a prerecorded one. Also there is no DVR fee either. The only down side is you need to run a second cable.

No need for second cable on a 721.. DPP technology works great. A single cable and a separator will have it going..

-Mark

I agree about the 622. The thing that irks me is the lease part of the upgrade. I like owning my hardware and not being in a contract with Dish.

Not that I am really complaining of the terms, I am just waiting to see what they will do for the HD holdouts when the Mpeg 2 HD goes dark.

Been on board with Dish from day one back in 1994? The only time I scaled back was when Voom was Voom DBS and I put Dish on the $5 per month account vacation mode for six months.

Do they do the repairs if it is leased? If so, it wouldn't be too bad as your second receiver since the lease fee covers the "second receiver fee" you would otherwise pay.

Brad

skyviewmark said:
No need for second cable on a 721.. DPP technology works great. A single cable and a separator will have it going..

-Mark

The 721 is not Dish Pro Plus technology, so you will need a second cable no matter what.

No, skyviewmark had it right. To make his answer complete, the other end of a single cable install would have to have a DPP switch, either a DPP Twin or DPP44.

Neutron said:
The 721 is not Dish Pro Plus technology, so you will need a second cable no matter what.
Incorrect. The 721 is just not labeled DishProPlus. But it is DishProPlus though.
I've been using a DPP-44 & Seperator on it for as long as the DPP-44 has been out.

The 625 works good. Not to expensive. Good pictures.
Later, spend more money for their best HD receiver, a model that has at this time not been developed . :rolleyes:

RandallA said:
You mean the 622 receiver that is being "beta tested". :rolleyes:

Very funny. :D You should be on the stage.
The next one leaving town. :hatsoff:

I mean an eventual not as yet developed HD receiver.
It is probably on the board as we speak.
It will have everything that all y'all want in a HD receiver.

By the way, just what would that be anyways?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)