WiFi-only connection on the Hopper?

Dimitri S.

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
San Francisco, CA
1) Is the Hopper WiFi-capable, or do I need a "Hopper Internet Connector", WiFi USB adaptor (to plug into the back of the Hopper), or both?

2) Will the installer likely bring everything needed to complete a WiFi install, or do I need to send a note to Dish before my upcoming install date?

3) If additional hardware is required, for WiFi connectivity, is it included in the free installation?

4) Do Dish Network installers reuse existing cables or run new ones? I have existing cables, from a (non-HD) DirecTV installation, 2 years ago. Are these cables likely sufficient? If not, is it reasonable to expect that he'll pull out the old cables and re-use the existing holes in my wall (rather than drilling new ones)?

1: Connectivity Choices in order of preference (need one, not all):
a: Wired Connection to Hopper

b: HIC - use if it's easier to get a wired location in the vicinity or a Joey, you have a coax drop near your rourter, or if it's easier to have the installer run coax to the router. (HIC is actually my personal preference).

c: USB adapter for WiFi

2: Tech should have Wifi adapters and HIC on truck. Check when he calls to confirm appointment.

3: HIC or Wifi should be included as part of install.

4: Existing cable should be good. He will probably be glad to re-use as much of the existing install as you let him including cable and holes. Tech should inspect cable and if any question of compliance will re-run. It's hard to say for sure, but you may need an additional feed from the dish into the house.

4: Existing cable should be good. He will probably be glad to re-use as much of the existing install as you let him including cable and holes. Tech should inspect cable and if any question of compliance will re-run. It's hard to say for sure, but you may need an additional feed from the dish into the house.

I appreciate your very helpful response. Regarding the possible 3rd feed, is that because there needs to be one cable per tuner? If so, indeed he'll need to drill one more hole. That's unfortunate because this is a 110-year-old house, and the last installer (2 years ago) had a hell of a time drilling holes through these walls. By the time he finished, there was a 1-foot crater in my wall (and I wish I was exaggerating). Lucky for him, I let him off the hook and repaired the damage myself.

I appreciate your very helpful response. Regarding the possible 3rd feed, is that because there needs to be one cable per tuner? If so, indeed he'll need to drill one more hole. That's unfortunate because this is a 110-year-old house, and the last installer (2 years ago) had a hell of a time drilling holes through these walls. By the time he finished, there was a 1-foot crater in my wall (and I wish I was exaggerating). Lucky for him, I let him off the hook and repaired the damage myself.

Some directv installs only have a single feed from the Dish. If you have two feeds and are going with a single hopper then you are probably OK. If you are going with two hoppers then you may need a third feed.

Even with two hoppers there is a good chance the tech can put the node outside, use the two existing feeds through the wall and then use taps inside the home to split off to any Joeys. There is a fair amount of flexibility in how they can plumb the system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts