Wii to surpass PS3 only for few months?

T2k

The Raw Nerve
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 5, 2004
Park Slope, NYC
Sales of Wii expected to surpass PS3 in first four months

Global sales of Sony's PlayStation 3 (PS3) and Nintendo's Wii game consoles are expected to reach 4.13 and 5.47 million units, respectively, by the end of March 2007 following their planned November launch, according to an estimate by Japan-based gaming magazine Enterbrain.

However, the PS3 is expected beat Wii in terms of sales volume by the end of 2007, buoyed by increasing numbers of game titles for the PS3 and decreasing prices of the console through reduced costs, said the magazine, which projected sales of the PS3 worldwide will total 23.51 million units in two years after its launch.

Apart from the fact that it is a gamer magazine's opinion, pulled from thin air, it doesn't even make sense: why would Sony lower PS3's price right after its European premiere? :confused:

It's more like wishful thinking from a games magazine... :rolleyes:

I do see the PS3 outselling the WII, however I predict that WII will be more popular as a game console for awhile before the PS3 really takes off and finds its grove.

But it won't outsell it without a price cut, I think - and price cut won't come easy at Sony after all these enourmous losses on every market.
Based on the usual arrogance and stupidity of SCES I predict a next Summer price cut as earliest - which means Wii will lead the pack right behind 360 until 2007 Christmas.

I see the Wii selling well, considering it's the least expensive console coming out and it should sell well for familes with kids, and familes who just want a simple console (like my family).

I personally think that the PS3 will never outsell the Wii because of the price. People who have a Xbox 360 or PS3 will not likely buy the other one, instead they will buy a Wii. This is just my opinion.

With PS3 and Xbox 360 fighting over the HDTV market base, the Wii will potentially have a greater potential consumer base. Yes there are people who don't see a point to investing in an HDTV yet.

I don't see the PS3 outselling the Wii unless the PS3 turns out to be a quality BLU-RAY player.

Wii will win at first due to a simple numbers game, they have less of a problem getting components than Sony does....

Wii should hit at least 2nd place due to greater supply (they may even beat 360 who will have less people clamoring for them since 5 million are already purchased). Sony's biggest problem? Many will show up to buy the PS3, find they are in short supply, shrug their shoulders and buy Wii or 360 instead for Santa to deliver........

Did the PS2 sell 23 mil in two years? I think on this one I will agree with you Tk2. These numbers sure seem skewwed. From going two months and producing maybe 1.5 mil to 22 months 21 mil? I don't see any product having that kind of sales power! That is virtually selling out every PS3 produced as soon as it hits the shelf for two years -- even I don't see that happening!

I think that more reasonably maybe 12 to 15 mill after 2 years for the PS3. The Wii will do well but I think it will not do as well as either the Xbox360 or PS3. My predictions in total sales from release date for each next gen system:

Xmas 2006 Xbox360, Wii, PS3
Xmas 2007 Xbox360, PS3, Wii
Xmas 2008 PS3, Xbox360, Wii

Of course if BluRay takes off the sales of the PS3 $499 unit might be unstoppable? That is until some manufacturer introduces a BluRay drive for less then the $499 price tag.

Last edited:
ROFLMAO! :D

Of course if BluRay takes off the sales of the PS3 $499 unit might be unstoppable? That is until some manufacturer introduces a BluRay drive for less then the $499 price tag.

Joe, you barely even look up from snoring that Sony stuff, huh?

HD-A1 already sells for more than nudred dollars less than that.

Last edited:
Did the PS2 sell 23 mil in two years? I think on this one I will agree with you Tk2. These numbers sure seem skewwed. From going two months and producing maybe 1.5 mil to 22 months 21 mil? I don't see any product having that kind of sales power! That is virtually selling out every PS3 produced as soon as it hits the shelf for two years -- even I don't see that happening!

Right...

I think that more reasonably maybe 12 to 15 mill after 2 years for the PS3. The Wii will do well but I think it will not do as well as either the Xbox360 or PS3. My predictions in total sales from release date for each next gen system:

Xmas 2007 Xbox360, PS3, Wii
Xmas 2008 PS3, Xbox360, Wii

But Joe, you just said it's impossible. :)

A more plausible scenario:

Xmas 2007 Xbox360, Wii, PS3
Xmas 2008 Xbox360, PS3, Wii

But some would say even this:
Xmas 2008 Wii, Xbox360, PS3

Keep in mind: [N] has serious influence on the Japanese and no console scored big without taking over their market.

I personally think that the PS3 will never outsell the Wii because of the price. People who have a Xbox 360 or PS3 will not likely buy the other one, instead they will buy a Wii. This is just my opinion.

That gamecube was a wonderful selling console wasn't it... and how much does the little machine cost. $150-$200. I THINK my PS2 was $399. I honestly don't care as I think it was a worthless console anyways. SUPER SMASH DUDES!!!WHOOO..lol NOT

PS2: 106.23 million TOTAL DOMINATION, DOMination, Domination (slowly sound dies in the distance)
XBOX: 24 Million
Gamecube: 21 million
XBOX 360: 5 Million sold in first 8 months. as of July 1, 2006. Est 10 Mil by end Q4 2006

I have an inkling that the PS3 might beat this number from a one year standpoint. Ill bring this thread back up next year and we'll see. NOTE: I just put a remind in my cell phone for this!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts