Wild Blue

bw820

Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Evansville, IN
Has anyone installed Wild Blue highspeed internet service yet? If so, how much is it paying to the installer and how difficult was it? I have customers ask me all the time if we have highspeed internet and I know that there is a huge market for it here where I live. The company that I work for is going to try and become a retailer and run installs, but it won't be available until summer 2005. If anyone is doing these installs currently, please fill me in on the details. Thanks

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

The question I have is how much does the equipment cost? My wife's grandparents live out in the country 1/2 a mile from where the cable company's last drop is. I've been telling them about Wild Blue as right now they have dialup.

I don't think anyone has it yet, outside of Wildblue's beta testers, which are probably just employees at their headquarters. The race is on to get broadband out here...if WB is the right price and gets here at the right time I might go with them, but there is a chance DSL will get here first, and I will definitely be getting DSL over satellite.

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the feed back. I am not sure how much the equipment cost. I checked out their website at www.wildblue.com and it states that the speed is up to 1.5 mbps. The cost is 49.95 per month with the standard 12 month agreement just like Dishnet and Directv. I hope that it is a good product and that they pay good for installation. The only thing that has me doubting that is that according to the website the customer has to pay for installation. I checked out the diagram of how it works and it doesn't seem too difficult. Basically, it is just like hooking up a cable modem, except instead of tapping into fiber you just hook into a 26 inch satellite. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback and let me know if you guys find out anything else.

MSRP for the installation and hardware is $299.99 as of today.

A lot can happen between now and the expected service launch in April. For example, the expected break even point is around three years. Can't imagine that anyone would jump in on a three year contract for a service that hasn't been proven yet.

NRTC affiliates are supposedly getting first crack at deployment of the service with independent dealers being served by DSI and RS&I to come at a later date.

That is a better deal than DWay and StarBand. This makes it affordable for some that may have not gotten it otherwise.

There is no mention of an upload speed unless I missed it. That probably means it will be like DW and SB and probalby be right around dial-up speed for the upload. They could get a big edge on the competition if they had at least 128 up.

Might as well have the one-way service for $30 a month using dialup to transmit back then. The hardware is only $99 and you can install it yourself.

Thanks for the Thread. It really helped out. It seems like there is a lot of hype surrounding Wild Blue and that nobody can really know for sure how it will do until it is being installed and customers are giving experienced feedback.

DTV Earning Call for Q4 2004 on 1/27/2005

SIRIUS XM Talk Merger

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)