Will 211k ever support >1GB EHD?

SatboyZ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
With the cost of a 2GB EHD under $100 and me making the mistake of telling my wife how to use the DVR, I really want to use a large EHD. It is hard to switch out in the entertainment on a regular basis. Just wondering if anyone has heard about a receiver update.

Thanks
Steve

Since the technology of a 211 allows it to become a DVR with an EHD rather than have the tech built in, it may not receive many updates on the EHD in the future, but currently it does support up to a 2 TB EHD right now.

Last edited:
So Thomas...

Have you, or anyone else, heard of an upgrade to the 211 to support more than 1TB? As the others have said, it currently supports 50GB to 1TB.

Thanks
Steve

At this time there are no updates for it to support more than 1 TB. I will check further into that and see what's going on. Right now though I think it may be related to the 211/211k/411 receivers not having the DVR technology built in.

At this time there are no updates for it to support more than 1 TB. I will check further into that and see what's going on. Right now though I think it may be related to the 211/211k/411 receivers not having the DVR technology built in.

While you are checking into receivers with DVR add-on features, will we ever see the 222/222k have this capability? I read somewhere that this was still being worked on.

While you are checking into receivers with DVR add-on features, will we ever see the 222/222k have this capability? I read somewhere that this was still being worked on.

Nope. They were never able to get it work properly.

Just a side note .. the issue doesn't appear to really be accessing the size of the drive. As when I first tested it ... I used my 2TB external drive that I was planning for my 722k ... the box had *no problem* identifying the drive, and it even formatted, and when it was done **THEN** it told me.. it wasn't supported.

So I think the only limitation here.. is that dish isn't into supporting a larger external size and thus forces it to be less than X bytes. That said.. I would still love to see DISH go to modularized/tray mounted drives .. so that replacing them is a simple task, rather than having to replace the whole unit when a disk fails... just send the drive.. and also see them support and ADD MUCH LARGER drives into the 722k... 500G may be larger than some companies (just checked Comcast's site, which says they have up to 120g on HD DVR recorders and do 20 hrs of HD .. stupid) but still .. the price of drives is so very cheap compared to years ago.. that this 500G is just ridiculous!

Since the technology of a 211 allows it to become a DVR with an EHD rather than have the tech built in, it may not receive many updates on the EHD in the future, but currently it does support up to a 2 TB EHD right now.

This is why techs have to play CSR roulette, cause 1/2 the time they give you the wrong answer, because they don't know what they're talking about. I asked my install manager the other day if I would have a job if I performed like the CSR's do... He laughed and told me no chance...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts