Will a Dual LNB Dish 500 work for the 61.5 ? ( for a temporary matter )

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dj_fred

Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Miami, FL
My Dish 300 single LNB got damaged and since I dont have the American channels subscription with dish anymore I was wondering If i can just point my Dish 500 DP Plus Dual LNB to the 61.5 and use just 1 output straight to the receiver. In case it works, do I need special tweaking for that to work? ( Azimuth, elevation or switches other than the standards) ?

Thank you

If all you'll be using is 61.5 then that should work fine. If it's DP Plus, then it's a Twin not a Dual, you would actually point the dish 4.5 degrees east or west of the actual direction, since it has two LNBFs 9 degrees apart. One of them will point to 61.5 and the other at empty space (either 52.5 or 70.5) and you will have the actual dish pointed at the spot in the middle between 61.5 and either of those.

If all you'll be using is 61.5 then that should work fine. If it's DP Plus, then it's a Twin not a Dual, you would actually point the dish 4.5 degrees east or west of the actual direction, since it has two LNBFs 9 degrees apart. One of them will point to 61.5 and the other at empty space (either 52.5 or 70.5) and you will have the actual dish pointed at the spot in the middle between 61.5 and either of those.
My Mistake, It's a Twin. So for example, If dish standards for my zipcode is 255º SW then I will try either 250º or 260º ? No Skew right? Just leave it at 90º ?

61.5 is to the east of south for you and most of the US. For you: azimuth=145, elevation=53, skew=don't care if it were a Dish 300. 255 would be very west of south=180. Check the numbers again. These before adjustment for the Y-yoke. Best to set skew to 0, but you will have to scan the elevation some because of the offset. Once you get a signal with the right satellite by scanning the azimuth you can move in 1 degree adjustments. Be sure to connect to only one eye or cover the other in foil.
-Ken

Doing this you will not get as good signal strength.The y bracket has an offset so your skew will not be 90 either as the twin has a 4.5 degree offset per orbital to pick up orbital 110 and 119.

Signal strength will not be affected, and skew is still 90, but you still must figure the 4.5° offset.

I've been using a D500 with a DP twin for years to get 61.5.

Signal strength will not be affected, and skew is still 90, but you still must figure the 4.5° offset.

I've been using a D500 with a DP twin for years to get 61.5.

Using an I bracket your getting prime focus.With a y you have an offset giving you less gain

A few years ago I did back-to-back peaks on 61.5, transponder 14. First I used a regular Y-bracket, then re-peaked with an I-bracket. For my trouble I was rewarded with 4 signal points. Whoopppiee
This was back in the old scale days, I'd guess you'd gain 1 or 2 points with the new scale.
If you happen to have an I-bracket laying around, by all means, use it. Otherwise I wouldn't sweat it.

On Dish multiple lnb dishes, there is no prime focus, at least in the horizonal plane, the focus of the dish is a line from the first lnb to the last, anywhere along that line you get the same signal strength.

Using an I bracket your getting prime focus.With a y you have an offset giving you less gain

which is very minimal

and if you're switching from a D300 to a D500 the supposed loss is made up with the bigger dish (22x20 versus 18")

I've tried both setups and there was no gain between the two

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)