Will all new hd channels be on 61.5 satellite

bobd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
MINNEAPOLIS MN 55418
I will be geting a second dish for 61.5 and was thinking how much more hd will be on this 61.5 satellite. Will things change when they go mpeg-4. Also when they add more new satellites will they move them to the 110 or 119 location and will this make my new 61.5 dish useless. Could the two dishes also be the same as one superdish down the line where i would not need any more dishes. Thanks for your thoughts.

Your questions indicate a need for you to understand how DBS works.

If it were possible to put every bird in one place, they would. There are limits on how many transponders can be used at any given location.

For the near future, any new HD is likely to be on the wings 61.5/148.

Once MPEG-4 is "common" (2+ years), and E-10 is in place, they may start moving some of it to the core birds.

As for StupiDish - no. The widest spread on any consumer dish (excluding expensive toroidals) is 18 degrees. The new D1000 will be 19 degrees (110/119/129). That's about the limit. Dishes are lenses - they have a concave shape for a reason.

Well, the entire Voom lineup (all those 30 HD channels and all the SD channels) fit on just 13 Transponders at 61.5. So Dish could put a whole lot of channels there if they felt like it.

Keep in mind that every "slot" in the sky for the DBS world contains 32 Transponders. These slots can be shared between different DBS providers. So at the 119 slot, Dish can have 21 TPs and DirectTV has 11. When you aim a dish at 119, the dish sees all 32 TPs, but your receiver will only show the ones that its authorized for. So Dish customers only see Dish Programming and DirectTV customers only see their programming.

Here is a good chart to see who has what TPs at which slots. Keep in mind that this only reflects the DBS slots and not the FSS slots such as 105 or 121.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)