will DECA work with anything?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swzine

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
GA
I know DECA is just Directv's version of MOCA. Does it only work with Directv equipment or can you plug anything into it? The reason I ask is because switching from cable TV/Internet to Satellite/DSL has caused some issues with equipment location. Basically where my cable modem used to come in had no phone line nearby and I used to have a router that was connecting a few hardwired devices (network printer, computer, TV's Vieracast). I need to get that little section of the house back up and running again, but it's an area of the house that is very difficult to access from the attic for wiring. If I can just plug a DECA box with a power inserter into the router, adn have it bridge to my DSL router over the cable lines, everything would be perfect!

When I had the H-21 in that room I had tried using the H21 to power the DECA and plugging the netwok cable into my router and it was not successful. In retrospect I'm not positive if it was because the equipment is proprietary or just because I hadn't used a crossover cable on the connection.

Another solution would be if there is any way to use the H21 ethernet connection in bridged mode the way that the 2nd port on the HR21 worked, but I assume this isn't possible...?

Last edited:
I havent tried it, but it should work on the same principle as the deca with power inserter connected to a router to give the HR's internet access. You'd need another deca and a power inserter. Directv was offering this as an option to DECA customers as something like the "internet connection option".

Since we know they work with a router, it should work with any ethernet device. While its possible that you needed a crossover cable, its been a long time since I've seen someone produce a piece of network gear that didnt autosense the port type.

I havent tried it, but it should work on the same principle as the deca with power inserter connected to a router to give the HR's internet access. You'd need another deca and a power inserter. Directv was offering this as an option to DECA customers as something like the "internet connection option".

Since we know they work with a router, it should work with any ethernet device. While its possible that you needed a crossover cable, its been a long time since I've seen someone produce a piece of network gear that didnt autosense the port type.

I got the $25 internet connection option and I can see how it hooks into the router, which is why I assumed I might be able to hook it to another router and bridge the network. That would save me a lot of time wiring or a lot of money picking up bridge. The main issue is that the DSL router is 802.11g and the router I'm trying to bridge is 802.11n. So I'll basicalyl lose any of the benefits of n if I don't hardwire. I assume MOCA is a little slower than standard ethernet but it's faster than 54mps I believe.

I'll give it another shot. When they leave DECA boxes at your house who owns them? Me or Directv? Since the equipment protection only covers the actual box I assume the only thing you're leasing is the box. I'm not sure how that applies to DECAs and remote controls, and such.

IIRC the DECA network is a shared 200Mb/s, or the same speed as full duplex 100Mb/s ethernet.

Good question on who owns the deca gear. Sometimes directv wants the remote controls back but I dont think they really want them. Another inconsistent policy. As far as I know the lease extends only to the receivers, although the 'protection plan' covers everything including the dish and wiring.

I suspect we'll find out sometime in the next few months or a year when someone with 4-5 DECA modules cancels their service. Similar moca adapters often sell for $65-80 a pop, so they're not cheap. You'd need a power inserter for any units without one, but it could make for a nice little network.

IIRC the DECA network is a shared 200Mb/s, or the same speed as full duplex 100Mb/s ethernet.

Good question on who owns the deca gear. Sometimes directv wants the remote controls back but I dont think they really want them. Another inconsistent policy. As far as I know the lease extends only to the receivers, although the 'protection plan' covers everything including the dish and wiring.

I suspect we'll find out sometime in the next few months or a year when someone with 4-5 DECA modules cancels their service. Similar moca adapters often sell for $65-80 a pop, so they're not cheap. You'd need a power inserter for any units without one, but it could make for a nice little network.

I'll find out in a few weeks if they ask for them or not. I was sent the 21 series and they swapped it for 24 series. The funny thing i s that they actually didn't ask for anything back. They just tacked on the 2 $5 monthly lease fees for the 24 series converters. I called customer service and they had no idea of anything - basically I had gotten 2 HD-DVRs and 2 HD receivers for free! (of course the lease fee and fees if I don't one day return them). Basically they just added the 2 new ones to my account. I do have a third TV in our guestroom that I had just planned to use over the air signals. I had debated on keeping the HR-21 or the H21 since I basically got 4 receivers for free, but I decided that it's really not worth it. I still stand by my original opinion that the 21 series is garbage and I don't even want it for free. They're too slow, the boxes are huge, and you have to have the stupid DECA adapters. I really wouldn't even want the 21's for free! If I decide to add service to the guestroom I'd rather do it right and pay $99 for an H24 or $199 for an HR24. Anyway, I had to talk them into sending me the recovery kit for their equipment! The disorganization there is so funny!

I'll see what they ask for. I intend to send them back the remotes and the receivers. Unless they specifically ask for them I'll hold onto the 2 DECAs and pick up a PI so I can use one of them as a network bridge and keep the other as a spare. The convenience of being able to have network access wherever there is a cable line is pretty convenient! If DTV does ask for them back and I have to spend some money I'll just pick up a wireless N bridge since it's about the same price as a DECA adapter. In my case they might not expect the DECA. Since they didn't even tell me to return the equipment, the average user won't even realize that the HR24 has the capabilities built in. The average customer would probably just disconnect the cable box and leave the DECA box plugged in exactly where it is. I knew to take them out, but I'd like to hold on to one and put it to good use.

I was able to use DECA to bridge a router in another room to my network. It's working great. The issue wasn't the crossover cable. It was actually the fact that the DHCP doesn't seem to work properly through DECA. Not sure why, but I have to use a static IP address. I just used settings similar to the 2 converters and then it worked just fine.

I'm glad it worked because that room is one that is almost impossible to run cables to and I wanted to get a desktop, network printer, and IPTV back on the network.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)