Will DISH EVER Catch up to D* in price?

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
Aside from all the new HD channels, how can DISH now compete with the Direct Special announced today:

Their highest choice extra package, HD DVD access, ALL their HD (including the Extra package) for $55/month for 12 months!!!!!

I will lose my External HD stash of movies, but how can I resist saving $30/month for MORE HD?

DISH--where are you here? If you can't provide the HD channels, at LEAST LOWER your prices to compete!

Last edited:
I think we can divide the customers with Satellites in three tiers:
1. top tier - look for best HD, more is better, price is not an issue
2. 2nd tier - a little price conscious, still want quality
3. 3rd tier - price is more important, SD would be fine, too.

D* is definitely winning in no. 1 (I don't think their business model considers tier 3 customers). E* has a lot of following at no. 3 (including myself).

I agree with you. E* should try harder in the battle for the 2nd tier customer.

I think we can divide the customers with Satellites in three tiers:
1. top tier - look for best HD, more is better, price is not an issue
2. 2nd tier - a little price conscious, still want quality
3. 3rd tier - price is more important, SD would be fine, too.

D* is definitely winning in no. 1 (I don't think their business model considers tier 3 customers). E* has a lot of following at no. 3 (including myself).

I agree with you. E* should try harder in the battle for the 2nd tier customer.

Shoot, a polar bear that has common sense! But, my 2 cents, I dont think that price will be an issue between the two after another 6 months or so. Not really sure if content will be either. Seems to me they should become one and ward off the evil cable!

Yawn.

All of this posturing over new customer signup deals is silly.

What always matters is the non-special monthly cost after the new subscriber deal ends.

I'd like to see someone list a clear comparison of Dish vs. Direct monthly cost for full HD programming and all fees with a HD DVR after the new sub special deal runs out, including the available HD channels from each. In the past the Dish DVRs have always been far superior to Direct's hardware. Also, in the past most have felt that Dish's HD picture quality was better than Direct's.

Yawn.

All of this posturing over new customer signup deals is silly.

What always matters is the non-special monthly cost after the new subscriber deal ends.

I'd like to see someone list a clear comparison of Dish vs. Direct monthly cost for full HD programming and all fees with a HD DVR after the new sub special deal runs out, including the available HD channels from each. In the past the Dish DVRs have always been far superior to Direct's hardware. Also, in the past most have felt that Dish's HD picture quality was better than Direct's.

True, but alot of customers don't think that way!

The key is this...

A) Directv's HD lineup will run you about $15/mo, compaired to Dish at $20/mo when you add in the HD Access and the additional fees for HD Net.

B) Dish has the Dual Tuner Technology which eliminates the $5 access charge for the 3rd and 4th Television with a $10/mo Savings.

C) Dish also has DVR advantage on some packages, lowering the DVR fee to $2, in addition there is no fee with the everything pack.

D) DISH Networks everything pack is generally cheaper than Directv

Every way you cut it Dish is generally cheaper than Directv in the long run, the only time I see Directv priced out cheaper is when you compair the Directv Total Choice plus package to TOp 250. I have seen situations where a customer wants a paticular channel in the TOP 250 package on DISH, but it was offered with Total Choice plus and therefore Directv was the better value eventhough the customer was getting fewer channels.

yep, i priced it out myself this week. excluding all promos, to get Premier w/HD(all) on 4 TVs on D* = $136, to get AEP w/HD and Locals using 2 two-room receivers on E* = $121.

I've heard the programmers (HBO,SCI-FI,ect..) do not charge extra for an HD channel if the provider (E*,D*,ect...) is already paying for the SD version. So with DISH having more stand-alone HD (VOOM,HDNET,ect..) thier cost are most likely higher. And maybe this is why D* wants to charge extra for HDNET because they aren't getting it for free like the other HD that has a SD counterpart. Does anybody know if this is a fact?

Well overall I think Dish is fine again Direct only has a few HD channels that Dish does not but most of them Dish has had for awhile. From what I heard last time I talked to Dish I was told that they plan on adding more HD before end of the year. So again Dish is fine would not worry about anything Direct had nothing else to do but to add more HD since they had very little of it for so long.

yep, i priced it out myself this week. excluding all promos, to get Premier w/HD(all) on 4 TVs on D* = $136, to get AEP w/HD and Locals using 2 two-room receivers on E* = $121.

You math is wrong. I have one 622 receiver with AEP and HD. I am paying $133/month, including taxes.
So D* deal is much better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)