Will Dish ever have a On demand service?

pjm8047

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 27, 2004
syracuse,ny
Will Dish ever have a On demand service?I'd like to watch the Howard stern on demand channel. I listen to him on my siruis satellite radio every day very funnny. I also would like the WWE 24/7 wrestling channel.

I could see something like Howard Stern's show being on a PPV "Sport" channel. I guess if you subscribed to that "VOD" program, you'd just have your DVR record it once its available. You know, since you have a VOD fee on your DVR and all.

Scott Greczkowski said:
What do you think the VIP means in front of the name of all the receivers introduced at CES. :)

It's nice the new receivers will be able to handle VOD or 'streaming' content but Dish has still not announced any programming for it right? I mean, the InDemand channel is still cable only and I have not heard of any plans for it to be picked up by Dish.

I thought it meant voice over IP

Scott Greczkowski said:
What do you think the VIP means in front of the name of all the receivers introduced at CES. :)

Are you suggesting they will have VOD over IP?

Why can't they do that through the satellite directly?

My prediction based on what I have read from several sources and I suspect is what Scott is referring to as well, is that both D* and E* will eventually go into the Wy-fi or Wy-Max business, possibly even jointly to share cost, to offer the same triple play (TV, Internet, VI-IP) deals that the cable companies and some phone company's are doing now. This will also have the added benefit of E* being able to also use the Wy-fi or Wy-Max infrastructure to deliver true VOD to the Ethernet ports of those VIP receivers. Am I too far off Scott? :)

sonnyboy11 said:
It's nice the new receivers will be able to handle VOD or 'streaming' content but Dish has still not announced any programming for it right? I mean, the InDemand channel is still cable only and I have not heard of any plans for it to be picked up by Dish.

In-Demand is not the same as VOD, it can be, but In-Demand is just a PPV provider for most cable system's, E* and D* do their own PPV. If E* and D* do use Ethernet to deliver VOD which I suspect they will in the future, they will do their own.

Chris Freeland said:
My prediction based on what I have read from several sources and I suspect is what Scott is referring to as well, is that both D* and E* will eventually go into the Wy-fi or Wy-Max business, possibly even jointly to share cost, to offer the same triple play (TV, Internet, VI-IP) deals that the cable companies and some phone company's are doing now. This will also have the added benefit of E* being able to also use the Wy-fi or Wy-Max infrastructure to deliver true VOD to the Ethernet ports of those VIP receivers. Am I too far off Scott? :)

From what I heard it may be possible to use it with any broadband provider. :)

jeslevine said:
Are you suggesting they will have VOD over IP?
Why can't they do that through the satellite directly?

Satellite is fine for regular broadcast channels where all the channels are broadcast to all homes with a dish and receiver and only needs to be one-way. To do VOD by satellite would require a 2-way Dish in all home's and would eat up too much bandwidth. VOD is more like the Internet and would use IPTV technology, only movies and shows that your receiver request would be streamed into your home, broadband is the best infrastructure to deliver VOD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)