Will preamp help Winegard 7082?

pauljk

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
I have a Winegard 7082 that was installed as an upgrade antenna when Voom was first installed. Worked fine on all but one channel most of the time at first, but I'm having increasing trouble with some of the other stations. (I'm in an outlying area).

Would some sort of preamp possibly help? Preferably one that wouldn't have to be installed on the roof of my 2-story house?

I have a Radio Shack video switcher (coax inputs/outputs) that has amplification built in. It's about 10 years old, so it's pre-digital. Would there be any harm in my trying to put this between the antenna line and the STB to see if it helps? I'm right on the edge of the stations locking on, so I don't think I need much to make it work.

But I want to make sure that trying this simple fix isn't likely to damage anything. I don't know if signal amplifiers for digital are any different than what worked for analog.

Thanks!

Paul

twodutys said:
A good Channel Master pre-amp did wonders on my Winegard Squareshooter.
You can pick one up for about $60

Does that need to mounted on the antenna, or could it be put inside, say, near the grounding block?

pauljk said:
Does that need to mounted on the antenna, or could it be put inside, say, near the grounding block?

It's a two piece unit. One part goes near your receiver the other near the antenna. All the pre-amps are that way. That is the best way to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts