Will these f-type connectors work?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Smwoodward

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Alabama
I ordered a set of leviton f-type connectors to add plates in my house and a punch down in the closet. I ordered 41084-fwf, and looking at leviton's website it showed these connectors to having a blue center and rated for 3 ghz. well the ones I got in do not have a blue center, it's a clearish center but the unopened package has 41084-fwf on it. I'm kinda worried now that it won't work.

Your best bet is to contact a local retailer and see if you can buy a few from him. He has to meet Dish standards so they should be able to help you.

i don't believe there's any sort of manufacturing standard associating frequency to color of barrel. I think Dish only uses blue because it's an easy visual check to see if it's replaced.

If you got it from a reputable manufacturer, it will probably work fine.

Last edited:
Sparcs,

They are color coded to indicate that they were manufactured to the 3g level. You are right though, it does make an easy visual check.

StevenD,

On the other hand he could order them from Ebay......

Sparcs,

They are color coded to indicate that they were manufactured to the 3g level.
perhaps by the specific manufacturer of the barrels you are using, but there is no industry standard that everyone is following. You can get 3ghz barrels in pretty much any color like orange, white, clear, etc. Blue just happens to be the common one.

Even their construction can vary for blue barrels between different manufacturers which is why companies like Dish specify certain approved connectors. IMO, just being blue isn't necessarily the best check.

A quick call/e-mail to Leviton asking if the part number is 3 Ghz rated is all you need to do. If it is proceed, if not return as not as specified and get a new set.

Simple as that.

Sparcs,

I hesitated about replying. I have seen a lot of the help you provide so I want you to know this is not a pissing contest. See my comment below about colors.

Pardon my copying this from dbstalk. (am i able to use the dtalk word?)

/plagiarism on

You really can't change the performance without making them physically different, and then they wouldn't fit the coax, "or" would have an air dielectric.In early 2003, the Consumer Electronics Association established standard CEA-897 for color coding of F connectors. At the time, it was hailed as a breakthrough for satellite TV users as a way of insuring the suitability of connectors for various purposes and identifying which cable goes where.

http://www.appliancemagazine.com/news.php?article=4229&zone=0&first=1

From a 2005 Echostar hardware specification guide:7.3.1 F Connectors
The connectors must be color coded for satellite signals, in accordance with CEA-897.
The F connector must withstand a minimum of 75 lb-in of applied rotational torque before any mechanical movement and/or degradation to the RF and DC performance is allowed. If the vendor chooses to use cast F connectors in the mechanical design, the dielectric must be able to withstand a 10lb pulling force.
The connectors must accept RG-6 cables. All RF and DC requirements must be met after 100 insertions of cables. Failure of the device to meet RF and DC requirements after insertion of cable will be considered a failure of the product.
All ports will be threaded 3/8-32 UNEF and free of thread damage.
The color of the dielectric should most certainly be meaningful but opinions aren't required to be influenced by the existence of standards.

/plagiarism off

Blue does mean something. Not all manufacturers follow CEA and won't pass QA by Dish. So they will have to go to bed without any pudding. Blue does tell Dish that the manufacturer read and followed the standards.

As the plagiarism says, the connector is so low tech, it is probably unimportant. I don't think a sine wave cares from blue or white or yeller. But Dish does.

Peace to you.

I guess I will will just use the ones that I have, and if I have connection problems, I will order the ones off ebay and swap them out in the keystone jacks to mount back in the plate.

What I think is weird is that Leviton's website shows the 41084-fwf with a blue center. http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=41084-FWF&section=39148&minisite=10251 And like I said the ones I ordered are the same part number as the website, both on the ebay listing and the unopened package that I got in.

if i remember correctly.... the last time that article came up, it was mentioned that it only established the shade of color that can be used for F connectors and not necessarily the rating.
The color codes are indeed in the full ANSI document but are not included in the free preview. You're statements about them being undefined and unimportant are inaccurate.

Your statement that the industry doesn't seem to follow the color scheme seems quite accurate.

The problem with too many of these standards is that the greedy bastards demand big revenues from sales of the documentation over universal compliance. In this case, they want $51.

When manufacturers don't follow any sort of convention, we shouldn't assume that there is a clear standard associating frequencies with certain colors of barrel.

Bottom line... go with a decent brand or approved connector with clear info on its' rating rather than worry about what color it is.

Last edited:
I had 3 Ghz keystone barrel connectors labeled as such 3 Ghz but they were white. My hopper installer made me swap them out for the blue ones. I was certain they were ok but he insisted.