Windows.old taking up a lot of space - Is it necessary?

Dr. Pepper 6044

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 10, 2010
South Georgia
I reinstalled Vista some time ago and now realize that I have a C: directory of 'Windows.old'. It is bigger than the 'Windows' just above it. It also includes user files.

Where did it come from? and can I delete it?

Not sure where on here to ask. Please advise if I should ask somewhere else.

Thanks.

It depends.

If the .old folder is present, you didn't do an upgrade but a new install instead.
If you have no plans to ever go back (to the old install), you can delete it.

As a sidenote, I don't think there any reason to run Vista (instead of Win7) nowadays...

Diogen.

Vista - Seven

Thanks, diogen.

This was a re-install with the disc sent with the computer (dell).

Is an upgrade to Win7 a good bet? I have been reluctant to install something different from what was originally on the machine.

I certainly agree. No one in his right mind would now choose to run Vista. It has been one huge nightmare for me on 2 machines.

I have been active in the Glorystar forum here and much of my frustration of late has been related to Vista.

Thanks again

any machine that has vista should be able to run win7
the only problme may be with a budget system where the builder put in too little ram to even run vista well
i recomend 2gb, but 4 s better and i think 1 will work
some budget system came with less then 1gb

one of my pet peeves... the first thing that gets cut to meet "budget" requirements is the amount of RAM in the machine. It's amazing how much life you can get out of an "old" system that simply needs a memory upgrade.

regarding windows.old, look thru those user folders and make sure you're not missing any important files. Normally it's safe to delete once you have done that.

Thanks, Pepper and mdram

This machine has 2g and the other one has 4g. I think I could add 2 more g's here.

I think I will try it.

The files in Windows.old are also backed up in other places.

:) Bill

check the machine specs before buying ram
some cannot be upgraded without a bios upgrade if at all (dell is famous for this)
they can also be picky about the ram you use, usually the cheap stuff works better (ive had good luck with supertalent in dells)
i would also suggest getting 64bit os over 32bit
if your doing more then 1 pc, the home 7 family pack is a good deal (3 licenses for @ 150)

Win 7

I just ordered Win7 family pac - 3 machines from Amazon 129.99 free shipping.

I am now at the other machine, 64 biy with Windows.old. I'll review and delete.

Thanks for your input.

Win7n is on!

Hello.

Win7 full install and formating of the C: partition was successful. Windows.old is non existant here now.

All the adware usually included is gone!! However, a couple of the basic freebees are also gone. I am now interested in the basic Roxio Creator9 that came with the machine. HP wants 100 dollars for an extended warranty before they will give it to me again.

Does anyone know where I can get that basic free version? I have used it and am comfortable with it.

Thanks.

I've formatted and installed Win7 on my home computer. In talking with Microsoft, they say that is a place to save possibly needed stuff. By formatting and doing a 'clean' install of Win7, it is gone and working fine so far. Much better than Vista!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)