Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I always forget how to fix these things. I somehow made my taskbar twice as high as it should be. how do I fix this?

Nope. Nothing happens. Or, yo be more accurate I can make it larger and return it to its current zize but I cannot make it smaller.

When you are at the top of the taskbar your pointer should change to an arrorw that has two sides on it Ala

/\
|
|
\/

When you see it like that you can click and drag the taskbar to make it bigger and smaller/

NO. It will not get smaller than it is now. That is the minimum size. Yes I get the arrow pints at bothe ends but I cannot make it smaller.

I am using Windoiws Xp and the traskbar is not locked., If it was I would be unable to change the size at all. In this case I can change it but I cannot make it smaller than double the normal height.

Check if you have any blank toolbars open.

Right click on the taskbar, go to Toolbars and then uncheck any that are checked.

Then try to resize your taskbar.

-- Kirk

Thans but...........

I still have a fat taskbar. Oh well

Dang it, Pete. This has happened to me before, and I wish I knew how I fixed it. Seems like I moved the taskbar over to the left or right side and then back to the bottom. Then I was able to resize it at the bottom.

I think? Good luck.

Geronimo writes:

How the heck do you move it from side to side my friend?

And thanks all for trying to help.

Geronimo,

Was wondering how many tasks are you running in your system tray (number of icons you have just to the left of your clock)? Maybe you have a quite a few programs in there and it is causing your taskbar to go to double height?

Here are some tips from WinXPNews.com:

Remove Tray Icons with a Registry Hack

Is your Windows XP computer or a Windows XP computer under your control deluged with tray icons? You know, those 37 icons sitting next to the clock? Are they taking up way too much room in your TASKBAR? If so, you can whack ‘em with this Registry hack:

Click the Start button. Click the Run command and type Regedit in the Open text box. Click OK.
In the Registry Editor, go to the following registry key:
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ policies \ Explorer
Click the Edit menu, point to New, and click DWORD Value.
Press the ENTER key on the keyboard. Right click on New Value #1 and click the Rename command. Type in the new name "NoTrayItemsDisplay" (without the quotes) and press ENTER.
In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, put a number "1" (without the quotes) in the Value data text box. Click OK.
Close the Registry Editor
Log off and log back on. No more tray icons! Go back and change the NoTrayItemsDisplay value to 0 (zero) if you want to see the tray icons again.

Control Inactive Tray Icon Behavior

Speaking of tray icons, maybe you're just the opposite of the person who wants them to go away. Maybe you want to *always* see *all* of the tray icons! You don't want the inactive icons to disappear. If so, just do this:

Click Start and click Control Panel. Change to Classic View and double click on the TASKBAR and Start Menu icon.
On the TASKBAR tab in the TASKBAR and Start Menu Properties dialog box, find the Hide inactive icons checkbox and remove the checkmark from the checkbox by clicking on it.
Click Apply and then click OK. The tray icons will no longer disappear.

Hope this helps. :)

$ items run at startup. The problem exists at startup or later. Maybe I will get used to it.

Geronimo said:
Geronimo writes:

How the heck do you move it from side to side my friend?

And thanks all for trying to help.

You can left click on the taskbar and hold the mouse button, then drag the mouse to the left or right side of the screen. The taskbar should then be displayed there, repeat the process to move it back down to the bottom.
:D

Maybe you could capture your screen, press ctrl-printscreen button, then goto paint or other image editor and do an edit paste function. Resize it or cut to show the taskbar image. Then you might be able to upload or link to the image.

Slightly different than Scott's answer but if your task bar is unlocked you can hover your curser over the edge you want to move. Your curser will change to the resize arrow and then you can left drag that edge to resize.

hi

the solution is really simple....all u need to do is move the dotted bar ( the dots that u see next to the taskbar icons ) to your right & then try resizing it
In case u have difficulty understanding me....update ur email id...will send u screen shots.

This is by far the most awesome outdated thread revival I think I've ever seen on here. :D

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, nagesh.singh! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)