Windows XP/Vista Media Center Remote Control

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

osokona

Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
RI
I asked this question elsewhere but did not get any replies. I would like for people to post here which FTA box works with XP/Vista Media Center. As you know MCE tried to identify the remote control used with the FTA box by letting you push some numbers on the remote. So far, I have tested different boxes with results shown:

Boxes that work:
Viewsat Ultra Lite
Viewsat Ultra V2

Boxes that does not work
Sonicview 360
Viewsat VS PRO
Viewsat PVR 7000
Captain 7100 USB
Captiveworks CW-650
Visionsat IV200

Now, does anyone have a workaround on any of the boxes that does not work? I am most interested in the Visionasat or the Viewsat PRO. After reading a lot of forum postings here and elsewhere, I was able to find only one posting of interest from someone named "barnacule". Sorry, I can't remember where from, But here is his posting in its entirety:

BEGGIN QUOTE
Vista Media Center & SonicView STB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit go to: barnacule

This will be my first big contribution to the forum. I have spent the better part of 8 hours trying to get my SV-360 Premiere to work with Vista Media Center (MCE 2005 also supports this info). I was unable to get the IR Blaster to learn the codes from the SonicView remote. After searching one side of the internet to the other I discovered there was no info that could help me. Just by chance while reading about MCE remote technology I encountered some notes on a technique used by some remotes called "Debounce" this ofcourse was not supported by MCE. The technology causes the remote to send alternating signals when the same key is pressed consecutivly to prevent the receiver from picking up stray reflected light and interpreting it as a double click. The great thing about this knowledge is you can now use it to train MCE the proper way. Below are the very odd steps you need to take to train MCE to use a remote that uses this debounce technique.

How do I know if my problem is Debounce?
If it asks you to press 1 on the remote and release it over and over and never moves on to a new key

Steps to train with a Debounce remote (SV-360 has one)
1) Tell MCE you want to train it manually
2) When it asks you to press and hold (1) do so and release like normal
3) Now cover the tip of the remote with your hand and press (1) again just a single time
4) Now point the remote back at the receiver and press->release as requested on the screen
5) Now it should move to the next number, repeat steps 2-4 until all keys are entered

Why does this work?
Since the remote alternates between two codes each time you press a key on the remote consecutivly you need to hide one of the presses from the MCE receiver so that it only receives the same code in a row. I am going to personally send a bug to Microsoft to include a patch that allows for learning of Debounce enabled remotes in the future. But this will get us by until that happens

Please reply to the thread if this helps you out... Please sticky this if there is enough demand since this killed 8 hours of my life to figure out and Wikipedia was of no help

Enjoy!
END QUOTE

I'll put my 2 cents here of experience in....

Coolsat 5000/6000 were detected just fine from the initial "Use the Set-top remote and press and hold enter, 0, 1" test.

The initial detection test failed to find a codeset for my Geosatpro DVR-1100c , and I had to teach 0-9, Enter. But was over all very painless.

I just found this info on the greenbutton's forum about modifying MCE registry key to have it work. I no longer have any of the boxes that do not work to try this.

Anyway, to enable debouncing , change EnableDebounce value from 1 to 0 in the following locations in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\H idIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da

Would someone try?

Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts