Winter Olympics: No closing ceremony in 4K?

avion

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
Chicagoland
I am pretty sure I saw few days ago in the guide that the closing ceremony will be shown in 4K but now I don't see it anymore. Are they not going to show it?

I was noticing the same a few minutes ago. Could have sworn I set a timer, it's not there anymore.

There was no mentioning of the Closing Ceremony in the original announcement by Dish: DISH to deliver Olympics in 4K HDR

Only the Opening Ceremony was mentioned explicitly, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it in the ch. 540 Guide. Oh well...

Reactions: charlesrshell
Who cares? Dish wants to limit the number of people who would be able to watch it in 4K to the smallest number possible.

I’m seeing the closing ceremony set up to record in 4K at 10:30 pm on Sunday night. Channel 147-05 4K. I also remember it originally set up to record on Monday sometime.

I originally had it set for Monday on channel 540. I now find that it is on Sunday at 7PM PST and it was not set to record. I fixed that! It seems that the day later time frame was rescinded...

I do not see the closing ceremony listed on Sunday night.
147-05 shows Men’s Gold Medal Hockey from 2-5 PM and 7:30-10:30 PM and Figure Skating (gala) 5-7:30 PM
After 10:30 PM it shows off air.

I wonder why your guide shows something different. I wonder if “Figure Skating Gala” is actually closing ceremony.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I do not see the closing ceremony listed on Sunday night.
147-05 shows Men’s Gold Medal Hockey from 2-5 PM and 7:30-10:30 PM and Figure Skating (gala) 5-7:30 PM
After 10:30 PM it shows off air.

I wonder why your guide shows something different. I wonder if “Figure Skating Gala” is actually closing ceremony.
I see the same same as you. I have all the channels set to record on channel 540. So I hope I don't miss the closing.

Dish has decided that it's not good enough to have a 4k TV to see a 4k channel. Dish decided to only allow those with HDR TVs to watch the "4k" channels, through a software block. Other providers can figure out the technology to allow people with varying equipment to watch their programming. Dish has instead opted to exclude all but a relatively small number of subscribers from access to the "4k" channels.

Dish has decided that it's not good enough to have a 4k TV to see a 4k channel. Dish decided to only allow those with HDR TVs to watch the "4k" channels, through a software block. Other providers can figure out the technology to allow people with varying equipment to watch their programming. Dish has instead opted to exclude all but a relatively small number of subscribers from access to the "4k" channels.
You are making a lot of assumptions and accusations. You have no idea as to what Dish's CONTRACTURAL requirements for broadcasting the 4K signal are.

You are making a lot of assumptions and accusations. You have no idea as to what Dish's CONTRACTURAL requirements for broadcasting the 4K signal are.
Dish certainly wouldn't want to explain why they are doing what they are doing, or not providing. They would rather just piss off subscribers who have been able to access the channels in the past, but now are excluded. I know there are a lot of Dish/Ergan fanboys around here, but I go where I get the best service/equipment/price. I've had all three satellite services, and the remaining two at least twice each. I have no allegiance. Dish makes a lot of noise about providing 4k programming, but when it comes to actually watching anything in 4k, not much to be found. And then they block people with 4k equipment from watching. You have an actual answer, let me know, buy you are also speculating they they have an actual good reason that is beyond their control.

Dish is not crippling 4K programming. There is some issue with HDR programming. My TV is capable of HDR so I am seeing the Olympics in all its glory. Now, those who have 4K TVs that are older and not HDR capable are not able to receive the Olympic programming. Dish is getting the feed from NBC via OPB who is sending out an HDR feed. I have no idea if there is a way to strip the HDR data from the UHD stream. It is important to understand that this is the first ever HDR programming over satellite/cable.

Now back to 4K programming. I have recordings of the Rio Olympics and college football that play just fine. I tried a PPV 4K movie that plays just fine. There is just available VOD coverage of Blue Planet II in 4K that plays just fine. None of this programming is flagged HDR.

Dish is not crippling 4K programming. There is some issue with HDR programming. My TV is capable of HDR so I am seeing the Olympics in all its glory. Now, those who have 4K TVs that are older and not HDR capable are not able to receive the Olympic programming. Dish is getting the feed from NBC via OPB who is sending out an HDR feed. I have no idea if there is a way to strip the HDR data from the UHD stream. It is important to understand that this is the first ever HDR programming over satellite/cable.

Now back to 4K programming. I have recordings of the Rio Olympics and college football that play just fine. I tried a PPV 4K movie that plays just fine. There is just available VOD coverage of Blue Planet II in 4K that plays just fine. None of this programming is flagged HDR.
Stop being reasonable and informative, thus you risk being labeled a fanboy.

Who cares? Dish wants to limit the number of people who would be able to watch it in 4K to the smallest number possible.

Riddle me this. Was it available in 4K? (non HDR)
"To watch you will need the latest equipment"

Riddle me this. Was it available in 4K? (non HDR)
"To watch you will need the latest equipment"

From DirecTV/ATT: Limited programming available. To watch content (on DIRECTV Only) in 4K HDR, 4K HDR compatible equipment, 4K account authorization and professional installation required. If 4K TV does not support HDR, games will be viewable in standard 4K. (My Bold) https://forums.att.com/t5/Watching-...nter-Games-4K-Viewing-on-DIRECTV/td-p/5408789

So, according to their website, it is watchable in 4k on DirecTV. If DirecTV can do this, why not Dish? Didn't want to spend the extra money? Didn't care? Probably the former.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)