Winter Olympics: No closing ceremony in 4K?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Sorry if I seem petty to some of you, but I bought a 4k tv thinking I would actually get to watch things in 4k. I can, as long as I don't want to do it on Dish. Netflix provides me with 4k through my tv apps. The Dish Netflix app does not, of course.

Sorry if I seem petty to some of you, but I bought a 4k tv thinking I would actually get to watch things in 4k. I can, as long as I don't want to do it on Dish. Netflix provides me with 4k through my tv apps. The Dish Netflix app does not, of course.
I don't think anyone thinks you are petty, Bogy, I certainly don't. I can see and understand your frustration. It might help if you posted your exact equipment, make, model number, and how you are connected to the TV. Is it direct HDMI or are you going through an AVR?

I am interested in your Netflix statement. I just tried Netflix from my Hopper and got 2160 (UHD) to my Vizio. I always use Marco Polo as my test vehicle. If I watch that directly from my Vizio app, Apple TV, or Roku, it will always be Dolby Vision, Netflix's HDR of choice. When I tried it from the Hopper, it ignored the HDR and showed plain 4K. You should have the same result. Once again, your equipment and how you are installed can help us figure out what is going wrong.

Now, it is important to understand that the Netflix and Olympics issues are apples and oranges. Netflix is merely an app supported by the Hopper and it gets its signal via the internet. The Olympics is actually a satellite driven signal. As I have mentioned before, HDR via satellite is a brand new technology. I am certain that there will be a way detect non HDR TVs and send just the 4K signal to the TV in the future. Please post back and add the equipment that you are using. Help could be on the way...

Reactions: Cheddar_Head
I am neither a fan nor a boy. I'm with Dish because I'm content with the programming and service.

I have no interest in 4K and don't set my hair on fire if the show is, (gasp) in SD.

I have a Hopper 3, a 32 inch tv, and two remotes. There are millions of us bare bones tv watchers
that help keep Dish afloat.

Back to my hidey hole...

My Daughter DOES get 4K with Netfix just tried it....2160 UHD on Samsung 4K HDR TV.

I do not see the closing ceremony listed on Sunday night.
147-05 shows Men’s Gold Medal Hockey from 2-5 PM and 7:30-10:30 PM and Figure Skating (gala) 5-7:30 PM
After 10:30 PM it shows off air.

I wonder why your guide shows something different. I wonder if “Figure Skating Gala” is actually closing ceremony.

My Guide has changed and now shows the Closing Ceremony on Sunday from 10:30 to 1:30 AM.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Mine shows off air forever, immediately after the Men's Gold Medal hockey game. Eastern arc thing maybe?

My Guide has changed and now shows the Closing Ceremony on Sunday from 10:30 to 1:30 AM.
My guide does not show channel 540 at all, why is this...I just had the 4k Joey put in 3 days ago. Can anyone help...also, I noticed on the dish settings under TV You can choose 4k, 1080p,1080i (all one setting) or 720p. Isn't it true that 4k tv's only upscale progressive signals, so I have to normally keep it on 720p to upscale most dish signals to 4k, so if I want 4k, do I have to change that setting every time I want Dish 4k. I finally was able to get to channel 540 through the search function because it isn't on my guide, and no hdr. I have a Sony Z9d 75 inch tv. When I am on channel 540 the TV shows 1080 not 2160...can anyone help, I would love to tape the closing ceremonies in 4k, missed most of the rest because of this mess.

I don't think anyone thinks you are petty, Bogy, I certainly don't. I can see and understand your frustration. It might help if you posted your exact equipment, make, model number, and how you are connected to the TV. Is it direct HDMI or are you going through an AVR?

I am interested in your Netflix statement. I just tried Netflix from my Hopper and got 2160 (UHD) to my Vizio. I always use Marco Polo as my test vehicle. If I watch that directly from my Vizio app, Apple TV, or Roku, it will always be Dolby Vision, Netflix's HDR of choice. When I tried it from the Hopper, it ignored the HDR and showed plain 4K. You should have the same result. Once again, your equipment and how you are installed can help us figure out what is going wrong.

Now, it is important to understand that the Netflix and Olympics issues are apples and oranges. Netflix is merely an app supported by the Hopper and it gets its signal via the internet. The Olympics is actually a satellite driven signal. As I have mentioned before, HDR via satellite is a brand new technology. I am certain that there will be a way detect non HDR TVs and send just the 4K signal to the TV in the future. Please post back and add the equipment that you are using. Help could be on the way...
I went back through a couple of threads and see that Bogy has a 2015 Vizio “M” series. That model, unfortunately did not get an HDR upgrade. It seems the hardware is incapapable of it. So, the Olympics is out for him. Netflix, on the other hand, should still work in 4K, unless, maybe, he is feeding that TV with a 4K Joey. I think that issue has been fixed but if it hasn’t someone will chime in.

So the guide got updated again, hopefully what I will be recording tonight is actually the closing ceremony.

I watched the 1080i closing ceremony on NBC. It was not complete and contained a lot of commercials. I am now watching the 4K HDR closing ceremony. It is the complete ceremony with no commercials. The colors are vibrant. It is truly fantastic. It truly justifies my Sony XBR-65X900E purchase. The clarity is great. I also feel like the announcers are better than the NBC crew. I sympathize with those of you that could not view it due to having a non-HDR TV.
My only suggestion for an improvement would be to add closed captioning for some of the speeches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)