Wireless 2nd Room with TIVO?

hehdaddy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Hi there. I have a 322 two room system. My second room cannot be easily wired. I was thinking about using a 2.4ghz wireless video transmitter from the 322 to my TIVO in the second room, and also use a IR to UHF transmitter to get commands from my TIVO to the 322.

Am I smoking crack? The quality doesn't have to be 100%, I just want to record all my TechTV shows, becuase my wife isn't into technology like me.

You may be on crack, ;) But I am interested in this also. Has anyone used the wireless video systems, and how do they look?

I purchased the X10 2.4Ghz camera system a few years ago to be used as a video baby monitor. This system uses a small video camera and what is basically an off the shelf 2.4Ghz video sender and a seperate 2.4Ghz receiver. When the antennas were adjusted properly (they really need to be pointing at each other), the video was watchable. However, there were quite a lot of opportunities for interference that would make actually recording a show transmitted using these devices difficult. Whenever the microwave in the kitchen was in use, there were huge bands of white lines that scrolled up the picture covering 80% of the image! When someone walked between the transmitter and receiver the image would sometimes briefly drop. The 2.4Ghz transmitter for my wireless lan (803.11B) caused a faint constant pulsing of lines in the received picture too.

As my son grew older, I attempted to repurpose the transmitter/receiver to send audio/video from my satellite receiver from the living room to the basement. I encountered the same transmission problems as with the camera, and even when there was no interference, the video quality wasn't great. It looked a little washed out and sort of reminded me of watching a video tape that is a few generations removed from the original.

The technology may have improved in the past few years though.... Your mileage may vary...

- Paul

I have the Terk leapfrog system. It is hooked up to my 508 and I have an older TV with the receiver hooked up to it. It works fine for me, the picture quality has gone down some but it is still watchable. I would have no issues referring this system to anyone.

peallen said:
I have the Terk leapfrog system. It is hooked up to my 508 and I have an older TV with the receiver hooked up to it. It works fine for me, the picture quality has gone down some but it is still watchable. I would have no issues referring this system to anyone.

I've tried using the x-10 to send video from my 522 to my 811 living room setup with no joy. the picuture is very poor even when a good tranmission can be established.

Do you ave any other 2.4ghz products in you home? if so how well does the leapfrog co-exists? Right now this type of solution appears to be the best way to get the dvr content to another display other than running the coax.

From what I could research, it looks like the Leapfrog is the best option, I guess I will have to test it here to see if it will work, but it is worth trying!

peallen said:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)