wireless to get the $5/month savings solution

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

guitz

Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
US
This is probably known, but I'll throw it out to those interested who didn't know....Dish Network as you may know, offers a $5 month savings if you hook up to the DVR's ethernet port (on my 722)....This sounded great, but I always wanted to come out the ethernet port and wirelessly transmit back to my broadband service, as my DSL modem is in another room and didn't want to run that long of cable....Once I found out this was really possible after being told by Dish support it was not possible (and NOT mentioned in the manual, at least via wireless) and completely impossible without a wireless router which I didn't own, I stewed on it awhile and came up with something that works......First off, I have ATT DSL service using an ancient 2wire DSL modem that does have wireless capability built into it. I thought there was no way of this working without getting a wireless router AND an access point or other device to transmit out of the DVR. Not so. A simple device that I found called a 'wireless bridge' will do the trick, converting anything with an ethernet port into a wireless signal, then sending it back to the 2wire DSL modem. Yay. Then I discovered more goodness,...after doing a little research, turns out this 'wireless bridge' goes for just under $100 for most that I saw. But as xbox and playstation gamers may know, they make a 'wireless game adaptor' to perform the same function as the wireless bridge, but, they are considerably less $$$...same device, clever marketing. I got a refurbed linksys 'wireless game adaptor' for $45 from buy dot com. Double yay. One last trick to get it to work, ..you'll initially connect directly to your pc with the linksys during installation. From the included installation disc, you'll want to select the option to set the linksys IP address to 'DHCP', because as it is, it defaults to an IP address that is probably not going to be on the same network address range as your wireless modem. (wireless router users won't have to worry about this , because they can reassign the routers IP address if they choose, not so with my 'set in stone' 2wire modem). Anyhoo, the DHCP option will automatically assign the wireless bridge an IP address that is part of your home network. Then it's just a matter of plugging the linksys back into the DVR, going to the ethernet setup on the DVR and let it scan to pick up the wireless network and that's it. I love wireless! Now my only complaint , is the overwhelming number of movies available thru dish on demand (like 3k +) makes it a bit tedious to browse thru them all, although the search function is handy.

Last edited:
I do something a bit similar, in our computer room (the other end of the house from the living room), I have one of the new Apple Airport wireless routers. In the living room I have an old wi-fi router connected to a small 4-port switch. Connected to that i have my blu-ray player, tv, and 722 (also an Apple TV but that has built in wifi).

I do something a bit similar, in our computer room (the other end of the house from the living room), I have one of the new Apple Airport wireless routers. In the living room I have an old wi-fi router connected to a small 4-port switch. Connected to that i have my blu-ray player, tv, and 722 (also an Apple TV but that has built in wifi).

Are you using your "old wi-fi router" to receive the signal from the Apple Airport?

Thanks,

Mitch

I bought a cheap (on sale) Netgear N router from WalMart. I then installed the DD-WRT firmware which allowed me to setup the router as a wireless repeater bridge. It gets the signal from my main wireless router in the the basement and acts as a switch to the equipment hardwired into it and as a repeater (extender) to my wireless network.

Previously I could barely see my network from the back deck. Now I can get it all over the neighborhood.

So does Dish really offer a $5 a month discount? Or is it just that they don't charge you the phoneline fee if you have either internet or a phone line hooked up to it.

So does Dish really offer a $5 a month discount? Or is it just that they don't charge you the phoneline fee if you have either internet or a phone line hooked up to it.

They don't charge you the phoneline fee. But either way you say it, it is $5 less per month than without (if you don't have a land line - like me). So I'll take it.

THey don't charge you the $5.00 if you keep the receiver hooked up to a phone line and then on your bill they say:

YOU SAVED $5.00 !

Its really a way to spin it into a positive rather than a negative.

They don't charge you the phoneline fee. But either way you say it, it is $5 less per month than without (if you don't have a land line - like me). So I'll take it.

Oh ok cool I've thought seriously about dropping the land line and going to voip but there are just a few things holding me back. The land line is one of the cheapest bills we have anyway. The dish receiver was one as my modem and router is upstairs and my 722 downstairs with no good way to run a wire to it. The other is that I want more than one phone jack and with the voip things I only get one phone jack. This is ok for the most part as our phones have the additional handset things but we still don't have enough to have a phone in the kitchen like we do now.

You should be able to use any wireless router and set it to bridge mode. Those unfortunate folks who are spending twice as much for a "gaming" wireless bridge are paying twice the price for a device with half the capability. :)

That is, unless you're totally computer unsavvy. Then I suppose the ease of setup would be worth it.

You should be able to use any wireless router and set it to bridge mode. Those unfortunate folks who are spending twice as much for a "gaming" wireless bridge are paying twice the price for a device with half the capability. :)

That is, unless you're totally computer unsavvy. Then I suppose the ease of setup would be worth it.

Most routers do not have this option, and though you can load 3rd-party firmware on most of these, that's typically not something the average computer user is going to do. It's easy enough to brick your router if you do something wrong while trying to flash it, plus you have to get exactly the right firmware for your model, assuming your model is supported.

Most routers do not have this option, and though you can load 3rd-party firmware on most of these, that's typically not something the average computer user is going to do. It's easy enough to brick your router if you do something wrong while trying to flash it, plus you have to get exactly the right firmware for your model, assuming your model is supported.

I've never seen a wireless router without a bridge feature available, OEM firmware or otherwise. :confused:

Most or all can bridge ethernet and wireless. What not all access points offer is the ability to join another access point to allow an ethernet ->wireless<-ethernet link.

I came here specifically to find a solution to getting rid of my landline and found this thread as well as an archived thread from a year ago.

If my phone is not plugged in, will the programming guide still d/l from the receiver (622)? I'm not wire savvy, so I don't understand any of the above.

Can someone please explain in layman terms? I just want to get rid of our landline. We don't use it, it doesn't make sense to keep paying $50/mo to avoid $5/mo charge on DISH. I don't mind paying the $5 charge for not being connected to phone line, but will that prevent me from getting current program guide updates?

Can anyone advise?

I came here specifically to find a solution to getting rid of my landline and found this thread as well as an archived thread from a year ago.

If my phone is not plugged in, will the programming guide still d/l from the receiver (622)? I'm not wire savvy, so I don't understand any of the above.

Can someone please explain in layman terms? I just want to get rid of our landline. We don't use it, it doesn't make sense to keep paying $50/mo to avoid $5/mo charge on DISH. I don't mind paying the $5 charge for not being connected to phone line, but will that prevent me from getting current program guide updates?

Can anyone advise?

The guide is downloaded from satellite. If you have broadband internet just connect your receiver's ethernet port by Cat5 or 5e or 6 ethernet cable to your router or use a wireless bridge/game adapter connected to the receiver's ethernet port to connect to your router. If you have DDA (Dish DVR Advantage) I think the first dual tuner receiver is exempt from the charge.

The Dish EPG comes off the satellite. Do not worry.

$50/mo? What's that, your broadband bill? Many of us pay less, even a lot less than that.

The guide is downloaded from satellite. If you have broadband internet just connect your receiver's ethernet port by Cat5 or 5e or 6 ethernet cable to your router or use a wireless bridge/game adapter connected to the receiver's ethernet port to connect to your router. If you have DDA (Dish DVR Advantage) I think the first dual tuner receiver is exempt from the charge.

We do have DVR Advantage. But I'm a bit confused about the exemption you mention. We have four TVs. Two with the Dual DVR, two without. It would be easy enough to plug the phone line into the computer for the TV that doesn't have the DVR since it's in the same room.

Are you saying that the two TVs using Dual Tuner DVR is not subject to the charge at all and only the two others are if I don't connect to a phone line?

I don't understand what you're saying about cat5, 5e etc., or the bridge/router stuff.

Last edited:
The Dish EPG comes off the satellite. Do not worry.

$50/mo? What's that, your broadband bill? Many of us pay less, even a lot less than that.

We only have the choice of Charter and Frontier in our area because of all the non-compete agreements between the providers. Frontier had a good deal for phone and DSL last year when we moved here. Both $90/mo - although we paid alot less with Qwest when we lived in AZ. The DSL is sloooooooo. The year is up and the bill just reset to a whopping $125/mo. I can get it reduced to $90 with another year contract, but don't want to do that.

So, I switched to Charter cable for $34.99/mo for 6 months then it goes to $55. Without the phone line, we're saving $50/mo. We don't use the phone line that much and figure going to cell is better.

I'd like to know how to have a much smaller phone/broadband bill! Aren't these area centric? We're in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area and I'm shocked for such a large metro area, the choices are limited b/c of the non-compete BS.