Wireless USB doesn't work on 4K Joey

Since the wireless adapters on the original Joeys were never really supported by Dish, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one getting fixed. The fact it doesn't work at all now may have actually been the fix in Dish's mind.

Since the wireless adapters on the original Joeys were never really supported by Dish, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one getting fixed. The fact it doesn't work at all now may have actually been the fix in Dish's mind.
Yes they were for the intended use of connecting to the internet. They still work on the Joey 2.

Yes they were for the intended use of connecting to the internet. They still work on the Joey 2.
I thought the USB adapter was specifically for headphones? That's why they (the Dish tech) sold it to me and it works perfectly on my WJ's. It adds a "bluetooth" option to "settings". My IHip Bluetooth headphones (also purchased from Dish tech) paired the first time and every time since. I love being able to use my phones in other rooms rather than just near my H3.

I thought the USB adapter was specifically for headphones? That's why they (the Dish tech) sold it to me and it works perfectly on my WJ's. It adds a "bluetooth" option to "settings". My IHip Bluetooth headphones (also purchased from Dish tech) paired the first time and every time since. I love being able to use my phones in other rooms rather than just near my H3.
You're confusing adapters. DISH has both a WiFi adapter and a bluetooth adapter. The 4K Joey has bluetooth built in but not WiFi so an adapter is needed.

You're confusing adapters. DISH has both a WiFi adapter and a bluetooth adapter. The 4K Joey has bluetooth built in but not WiFi so an adapter is needed.
sorry - my brain read "adapter" somehow (I think that word was used in post #2) - not unusual for me :)

There were a lot of folks who used the USB Wireless Adapter to convert a regular Joey 1 into a "Wireless" Joey, back in the early days of the H1/HWS before the real Wireless Joey came out. While it worked for most folks who tried it, this was never a setup that Dish officially supported (to my knowledge anyways). Like I said in the earlier post, my guess is that is why they apparently didn't add support for the Wireless Adapter in the 4K Joey. I doubt that it's just a bug.

Like I said in the earlier post, my guess is that is why they apparently didn't add support for the Wireless Adapter in the 4K Joey. I doubt that it's just a bug.

From what someone at Dish told me, up to the Joey 2's, video streams was able to be handled over wifi, but THEY said (I don't doubt it but I am dubious about the reasoning) they said 4k streams would've been too much bandwidth to be reliably handled over most wifi...and they disabled the ability...plus Sports Bar mode is (will be) handled in the Joey's themselves (as Swap currently is now) and the "Sports Bar" mode's 2-4 streams are too much for consistently reasonable wifi connections.

From what someone at Dish told me, up to the Joey 2's, video streams was able to be handled over wifi, but THEY said (I don't doubt it but I am dubious about the reasoning) they said 4k streams would've been too much bandwidth to be reliably handled over most wifi...and they disabled the ability...plus Sports Bar mode is (will be) handled in the Joey's themselves (as Swap currently is now) and the "Sports Bar" mode's 2-4 streams are too much for consistently reasonable wifi connections.

Reading your post, it would seem that there will not be a wireless 4K Joey. Sure hope not

Everything in your post here has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with getting a wireless internet connection to a 4K Joey.

The Joey gets all its video over the MOCA connection.

Everything in your post here has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with getting a wireless internet connection to a 4K Joey.

Well, that's not right. IF you have your Joey hooked up via coax, and it is working, then you add the WiFi adapter, and unplug the coax you USED to get video even though you were not hooked up to coax.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20121211083407AAQ2YPN

I was just saying I was told that the WiFi adapter abilities was fully discontinued in newer Joey to prevent this because even though it worked the new Joey's features demanded too much bandwidth to allow it to be stable...and thus Dish removed the WiFi driver to stop it from being a service call.

Reactions: navychop

Uhh...what? If you are trying to connect a 4K Joey wirelessly (which isn't possible), how do you theoretically think its going to get that MOCA connection? And if you are connected via COAX to get the MOCA signal, why are you concerned with the Wireless adapter?

Slightly off-topic, but kinda on-topic as to why people are frustrated the WiFi has been taken away from Joey 4k's:

I will say this much about the MOCA used by Dish: the MOCA connection throughout the Joeys & Hopper is NOT isolated. It is very much able to be bridged to your home network and it happens all the time.

HIC's are the perfect tool for this. You can (and many do) have 2 HICs to bridge their own home internet over the MOCA connection in order to get internet to a back bedroom or family room or basement. Simply get 2 HICs, plug one in between the Joey and the wall on the coax, then go to the other room where you want internet and plug the other HIC in. Once you plug ethernet into the HIC in one room, the HIC in the other room has the same internet as the rest of your home network. PLUS this feeds internet to your entire Hopper & Joey setup.

Since Dish made the HICs *and* made them to MOCA standards, they HAD to make it non-isolated.

Uhh...what? If you are trying to connect a 4K Joey wirelessly (which isn't possible), how do you theoretically think its going to get that MOCA connection? And if you are connected via COAX to get the MOCA signal, why are you concerned with the Wireless adapter?
READ the F**ing post the WiFi is need for the INTERNET connection. UNDERSTAND?
You NEED an internet connection for some of the apps.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)