Wiring for 3 satellites...Can it be done w/ 2 cables?

asmcbride

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
WV/VA
Here is the scenario...I currently have a DP500 Dish w/ a DP Twin LNBF which sends satellites 110 and 119 back to (2) single tuner receivers via 2 RG6 cables going from the dish outside to the wiring closet inside the house. My question is...I would like to add a 2nd dish to receive 61.5 (HD and DC locals once I upgrade to a 622), is there any way to add this 2nd dish, for a total of 3 satellites (110, 119, 61.5) without adding a 3rd run of coax inside the house from the dishes? Is there any piece of equipment that could be installed outside near the dish that could allow the 61.5 to be added to each off the existing coax lines so that all 3 signals would enter the house on both of these runs? Thanks.

-mcbride

The DP34 would work for your current setup.

However, it may not when you upgrade to a 622.
- It will if you disconnect 2 current receivers and only have 1 622; AND
- If both cables go directly to the 622, and not separate rooms.

If the above is not true, then you will need either a DPP44 Switch, or a DPP Twin LNBF.

- DPP44 will allow you to connect up to 4 satellite locations, and feed upto 4 receivers. Dual tuner receivers can be feed with a single cable using a DPP Separator.

- DPP Twin will allow you to connect a wing dish (61.5) and then feed upto 2 receivers. Dual tuner receivers can be feed with a single cable using a DPP Separator.

OK. This is starting to make sense...there are way too many different parts, and possible scenarious when wiring DN setups. So, if I switch to a DPP Switch is this something I can just buy and swap out, or should I tell DN to do it when I call for the 622 upgrade? Since I only have 1 coax cable going to each room in the house from the wiring closet, I think I will definetly need to go a route that will allow for the DPP Separators, especially since I will want at least 1 dual tuner receiver. If I go this route, can I also use a diplexer in this scenario to use that 1 feed to the main 622 to pass back the TV2 agile mod. signal? This setup will still allow for the 2nd main coax feed from outside to feed either another dual tuner or a singal tuner correct? thanks again...

If I were to use the DPP44 switch doesn't it require port 1 to be plugged into a power outlet? If the switch was ouside the house I would need to find a way to get power to it, if the switch was inside the house I would need to run a 3rd coax line outside from the new sat (61.5) to the switch inside??? Is this not correct? If using this DPP44 inside or outside how can I do it with only having 2 coax feeds going into the house and with getting 3 satellite signals (110, 119, 61.5) to all receivers. Can diplexers also be used with this scenario to use that same single coax feed to my receivers to output the TV2 agile signal as well? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to understand all of this correctly so I make the correct decisions once my remodeling is finished and new receivers are upgraded w/ Dishin it up...

Make sure I answer both of yours posts here. :)

Now that we have more info, the DP34 is out of the question, because you can not use the DPP Separator with it. And you should skip the DPP44 unless you plan on having more than 3 receivers and/or 3 satellite locations. However, the DPP44 can get its power without running another cable if you needed to go this route.

So go with the DPP Twin LNBF. You can swap the DP Twin LNBF out with a DPP Twin LNBF. The DPP Twin also has an INPUT connector for adding a 3rd satellite orbital location. So if you get a Dish 500 with a single DP Dual LNBF pointed at 61.5, you can easily connect it. This will allow you to use one cable to the ViP 622 using the supplied DPP Separator, and also allow you to feed another receiver on the other cable if you desire.

Notes:
- The second receiver can be either a Legacy, DishPro, or DishPro Plus.
- The DPP Twin will not need a power supply.
- Yes, you can use Diplexers to backfeed the 622's TV1 and TV2 outputs to elsewhere in the house; with or without the 2nd receiver installed.

EDIT:
If you are calling Dish for an upgrade, I suspect they have some sort of deal where they will send out a tech who will replace the DP Twin with a DPP Twin, install a Dish 500 with a DP Dual, and setup the ViP 622. And maybe even supply a couple of diplexers to backfeed the 622's Outputs to the closet where you could then take and send it through a splitter to everywhere in the house.

Last edited:
Sweet, we're getting there...only a few more ?s. Would it be best to have dish put up a dish 1000 rather than adding the second dish for 61.5? also, when you say that I can use diplexers to backfeed TV1 and TV2, I'm alittle confused on this? I thought that TV1 was only at the receiver (connected locally with HDMI), and that TV2 was backfed through the diplexer??? Is that not the case? Am I able to actually backfeed both on this single coax with a single diplexer? Would this allow me to setup 2 TVs that would see the same channels (2 TV1s) and then 1 TV2 that would have separate channels? IF this is the case, what would I do...use a splitter back at the diplexer in the wiring closet to send out the agile signal of TV1 and TV2 to 2 different rooms?

Okay, I just posted an EDIT to my previous post while you were posting, so check it out also.

You can get the HD channels on either 61.5 or 129, so yes you could either add a Dish 500 for 61.5 or 129; or go with a single Dish 1000 for 119/110/129. However, for your area, maybe the 2 dish system would be better. In addition, I don't know where your locals are, and if there are HD locals that would fit into this equation.

Maybe NavyChop or someone else from that area will read this post and provide some good advice.

The ViP 622 only supplies an HD signal to a local TV using HDMI or RGB cables. However, the 622 has a stereo agile modulator output that you can send both TV1 Output and TV2 Output over a home cable system. You just set each output to a different cable or TV channel. It works best by separating a channel, mine is TV1 = Channel 61, while TV2 = Channel 63.

So I can watch HD in the Living Room on TV1. The 3 bedrooms can watch either TV1 or TV2. So the kids rooms each have a TV and a TV2 remote to control TV2.
I have a UHF Pro Green 1 Remote in the master bedroom that can control TV1 from inside the bedroom.

NOTE: TV1 is sent out as SD instead of HD, but the local TV would still be HD.

EDIT:
The ViP 622 comes with 1 5.3 IR Green TV1 Remote, and 1 6.3 IR/UHF PRO Blue 2 Remote.
To control TV1 from another location, you will need another 6.3 IR/UHF PRO remote with the "key tabs" that allow you to put in a "Green 1 UHF PRO" key tab to control TV1 via UHF PRO signals.

I think Washington, DC locals are on:
-- Standard Definition are on Sat 110, and
-- High Definition are on Sat 61.5.

If this is the case, you would do better to keep your Dish 500, change the DP Twin to a DPP Twin; and then add another Dish 500 with a DP Dual for 61.5.

Very Good! I think I understand it all now. I'll definetly reference this tread when I'm ready to do the upgrade and install. Only thing I'll need a little more knowledge on when the time comes is the "key tabe" thing with the secondary remotes. Thanks for all the help.

Since I only have 1 coax cable going to each room in the house from the wiring closet, I think I will definetly need to go a route that will allow for the DPP Separators, especially since I will want at least 1 dual tuner receiver. If I go this route, can I also use a diplexer in this scenario to use that 1 feed to the main 622 to pass back the TV2 agile mod. signal?

Here is the wiring diagram you are looking for with your set up

http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwork/DISH_Pro-DISH_Pro_Plus_Diagrams/DistributionExample7.pdf

Using the above link, if you decide to go with the 2nd receiver (211), just connect the other cable from the DPP Twin to the closet. Then feed it and the signal coming from the splitter into a 3rd diplexer to go to the 2nd receiver. This would provide a sat feed and a 622 output (TV2 or TV1 & TV2) to that location, which would also need a 4th diplexer when the cable gets to the 211.

Your other thread mentioned running 2 HD outputs from the 622. One RGB with optical audio to the local set; and using a long HDMI cable to a 2nd remote TV, using the agile stereo modulated output via a coax to the Antenna/Aux jack. That will also work.

Here's a link from this forum that has info about Dish remotes. The remote Dish says is the replacement and would be needed to convert TV1 from IR to UHF PRO, is the 6.3 IR/UHF PRO Remote Kit. It comes with 2 key tabs that can be flipped over for 4 different settings. Currently it can only be ordered from Dish Tech Support and will be billed to your account, but you can pay over the phone or when your bill comes in.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=7758&d=1142022830

However, the 6.2 IR/UHF PRO remote will also work, and you may be able to get it cheaper on ebay or from one of the vendors above. I think some of the remote buttons are a different color. Then, I've heard that some other remotes will work.

In either case, the instructions are vague for setting it up on the 622, but it is very simple. I know there are several threads covering it.

Thanks for all of the great info on clarifying the questions that I had. Once the upgrade is all complete I will be feeding (4) HDTVs in my house. I plan to have (1) 622 and (1) 211. The 2 TVs with the local receivers will probably be hooked up via component and have optical audio going to their local audio receivers. Then I will send the HDMI, via a long cable and a repeater, from the 622 in the living room to the LCD on the wall in the bedroom. This will allow me to watch HD on this set, as long as it's the same channel as in the living room where the 622 is. Along w/ the HDMI this TV in the bedroom will also get the TV2 agile modulated coax signal via a diplexer from the 622, thus allowing me to watch different channels when needed, although it will only be SD...The 211 will feed a local HDTV in the basement, as well as a 2nd HDTV in the basement using the same scenario as above. I will also eventually use a splitter to distribute the TV2 output via the 622 to more bedroom TVs once needed. I think this plan will work well, giving me the ability to watch HD feeds on all of the HDTVs, as well as different channels via SD when needed, all without having too many receivers. I'll just need to round up a few extra UHF remotes to keep in the proper rooms for easy channel changing.

New question - For the 'remote' TVs that will be using the TV2 agile modulated output and the HD feed that is split off of TV1 will I be able to use 1 single remote for this TV, possibly changing to TV1 when wanting to watch HD, then changing to TV2 or an AUX that is programmed for TV2, when wanting to watch a different channel than what is being watched on TV1?

It sounds like you have it all under control. I think the 211 only uses a IR remote, so you will need to control it from the same room that it is located in, unless you purchased a UHF PRO Remote Extender (?) for about $40 - $50. The bad part about the extender is that its remote and the UHF PRO remotes are not compatible - because they use different frequencies. So if you think there may be plenty of times that you may need 4 different programs at once, you may want to consider a ViP222 instead of the 21, provided the ViP222 has been released.
New question - For the 'remote' TVs that will be using the TV2 agile modulated output and the HD feed that is split off of TV1 will I be able to use 1 single remote for this TV, possibly changing to TV1 when wanting to watch HD, then changing to TV2 or an AUX that is programmed for TV2, when wanting to watch a different channel than what is being watched on TV1?
You would need two 6.3 UHF PRO remotes, one with a "Green 1 UHF PRO Tab" and one with a "Blue 2 UHF PRO Tab".

Besides the 2 remotes, there are two more options:
- (1) When you want to watch 622 TV1 Output at the remote location in HD, you can switch it from Dual Mode to Single Mode, and then both remotes would control the ViP622. When finished, go back to the living room and switch it back to Dual Mode.
- (2) When inserted, the Green and Blue tabs for the 6.3 IR/UHF PRO remotes, slide a small flat switch side to side between 4 positions. You could remove this tab, and manually slide the switch to the correct position. However, you will also have to reprogram the remote address, since TV1 and TV2 should be on separate addresses to operate properly.

Here is the scenario...I currently have a DP500 Dish w/ a DP Twin LNBF which sends satellites 110 and 119 back to (2) single tuner receivers via 2 RG6 cables going from the dish outside to the wiring closet inside the house. My question is...I would like to add a 2nd dish to receive 61.5 (HD and DC locals once I upgrade to a 622), is there any way to add this 2nd dish, for a total of 3 satellites (110, 119, 61.5) without adding a 3rd run of coax inside the house from the dishes? Is there any piece of equipment that could be installed outside near the dish that could allow the 61.5 to be added to each off the existing coax lines so that all 3 signals would enter the house on both of these runs? Thanks.

-mcbride

change dp lnb for dpp which has input for 3rd sat. then you use original 2 lines

rick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)