Wiring multiple TV's

kbodnar

Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
I currently have a dish setup with 2 LNBS, with a two way splitter connecting them into one line which the installer ran to my existing Shaw Cable box on the side of the house.

I am only running one tv right now, and my Bell receiver is hooked up to the old shaw outlet inside the house. Does this mean that all of my existing Shaw outlets in the house are live with satellite signal?

I want to hook up another tv near an existing shaw outlet in my house. I am aware that I need another receiver from Bell, but do I need to get a multiswitch?
If I need a multiswitch, then do I need to run two wires from it: one for each tv? or do i just hook the two LNB wires to the multiswitch, then to the one line going to the shaw box?

Thanks for any help

Vets: please correct me if I am wrong. I am not an expert but have experience with set-up and installation.

Satellite signals cannot be split. the lines coming from your LNB's are not going into a splitter but a switch. This allows you to receive channels from two satellites.

for two TVs, you need two lines coming from each LNB going into a multiswitch (so four lines going into the switch). Then you will need two lines going out of the switch into the house, one for each TV.

from what you describe, the installer ran RG-6 outside your home from the switch (what you called the splitter) and joined it to an existing line that enters your home. This prevents him (or you) from putting an extra hole in the side of your house. The installer probably then disconnected this line from a splitter and connected it to the line that was going from the splitter to the room where you have your set-top box and TV

Good luck.

Last edited:
The "Splitter" you describe is actually an SW21, this takes 1 line from each LNBF and combines the signals so they can be fed down the 1 line that goes to your Shaw box and then inside there we can only guess that it is spliced to the cable that feeds the Shaw outlet where your receiver is currently located.

To add another receiver, you need to duplicate what you already have. You need to run another line from each LNBF to another SW21, then run that output to the coax that feed the location you desire. This line may be available inside the Shaw Box or you might need to run directly to where you need the other receiver.

If you are thinking of adding a Dual Tuner HD PVR, this requires 2 separate lines and as such you will require a different switch at the Dish. In this case you will need an SW44, this will require 2 lines from each LNBF into the inputs and it will give you a maximum of 4 outlets, 1 for your existing receiver and 2 for the HD PVR (if that is what you are getting), leaving another port as a spare for yet another tuner if you ever decide to add one more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts