Wishing for the international Channel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Andersv

Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
I'm a bit of a language geek as are several members of my family. I also occasionally have visitors from out of the country and I remember fondly when my old cable company several years ago offered the International Channel.

Now I have DirecTV. I love it. I just wish I could get the one channel that I've missed for over seven years now.

The International Channel offers movies, news, dramas, comedies, and anime in a variety of languages. Several of the programs have subtitles and it's really quite useful for foreign language enthusiasts.

Here's their website: www.i-channel.com They have a link to a very simple form to fill out and request DirecTV carry it:
http://www.click2locate.com/5014/default.asp?Reception=Satellite

Even if you don't really care to watch this kind of programming, you can see how it is a valuable channel to offer. With all the vapid (but fun) stuff on TV, it's nice to have as many educational (but fun) options as we can get.

Yeah, I would like that channel too. I'm also hoping, just for general international language programming in general. My fear is that DTV has all but decided to cede international programming to Dish Network. Dish Network has a ton of international language. Many parts of Europe, Asia, etc. All I want is just one 24 hour Italian language news, movie and soccer channel like Rai International. I'm still holding out for some August news, but I feel I'm going to be let down.

Scott, was that channel mentioned or any basic channels mentioned? Or were you referring to just international channels in general like Dish has? I would REALLY like the International Channel on Dish myself.

Bad news

Well, I sent an email off to the North American distributor of RAI International (as well as some other international language programming channels), an all Italian language news, movie, and sports channel. RAI International is currently on DISH as well as on certain cable companies. I just asked if I can expect to see RAI on DirecTV in the near future. I also pointed out that the International Channel airs some RAI programming in addition to other international language premium channels.
The guy emailed me back and said that because Dish Network and DirecTV are considered mutually exclusive, that any international programming on DISH will not be on DirecTV due to contractual reasons. :(
I guess this means that practically anything from International Channel won't be on DirecTV, at least as an independent channel. DISH has got all of the premier international channels contractually locked up. Doesn't leave much room for DirecTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)