WLFI Channel 18 Lafayette, IN

jssat

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Wooster, OH
Here is an e-mail I sent them. Didnt E* announce like 3 yaers ago that they would have all 210 DMA's by the end of the year. They need to get their head out of their ass.............

I expect to be on DirecTV by spring of 2007.
Thanks for your interest.
Mark Brooks

Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 4:06 PM
To: mbrooks@wlfi.com
Subject: satellite

When could we expect to see WLFI on Satellite?

James Staples

I dont think they said that they'd have all 210 DMA's by end of year..

Right now with the distants/SV thing, it may be a while for these 1 & 2 channel DMA's

Sorry Dish Network has not contacted us. DirecTV has already been here and surveyed our site for connection. They indicated spring as the install timeline.
Regards,
Mark Brooks
Chief Engineer
WLFI-TV

Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2006 12:59 PM
To: Mark Brooks
Subject: Re: satellite

No word on Dish Network?

James

Dish Network said they'd have all 210 DMA's by the end of 2006 if they were able to merge with DirecTV. No merger and that meant plans scrapped.

DISH doesn't seem to understand the concept of Sig Viewed Locals, so they're afraid if they add WLFI, they're going to have to offer Indy locals just like the cable companies do. Nobody in cable seems to have a problem getting SD or HD version of the big four in Indy, PBS, and our little WLFI Channel 18. I have DISH in Cincinnati and love it, but won't open up a second account here for school until I have local channels in at SD. At least DirecTV has done a site survey, as they are partners with LIN Television, who owns WISH TV-8 out of Indy. DISH has been fighting with the Indianapolis broadcasters forever. ugh.

But when it comes to HD, DirecTV is not a partner with LIN-TV. LIN is one of the station groups where DirecTV has not come to terms for the HD (digital) signals.

DISH doesn't seem to understand the concept of Sig Viewed Locals, so they're afraid if they add WLFI, they're going to have to offer Indy locals just like the cable companies do.

Well first of all, you DO understand that E* will NO longer be able to offer SV after 12/1, which then leads me too...

WHY would anyone in the Lafayette DMA get E*, if they can ONLY get ONE of the big 4 nets, which is exactly what E* would only be able to do. Since ALL the other nets would have to brought into your market via SV, E* will NOT be able to do this. E* obviously realizes it would be stupid to waste their time/effort/money/bandwidth to bring in your ONE affiliate, with NO way to bring in the rest of the nets, for the VERY few people that would sub to such a service. ;) ;)

OTOH, D* could do this very easily, since they are not in trouble. And, they could probably do it very easily on their main (101) bird.

Well first of all, you DO understand that E* will NO longer be able to offer SV after 12/1, which then leads me too...

WHY would anyone in the Lafayette DMA get E*, if they can ONLY get ONE of the big 4 nets, which is exactly what E* would only be able to do. Since ALL the other nets would have to brought into your market via SV, E* will NOT be able to do this. E* obviously realizes it would be stupid to waste their time/effort/money/bandwidth to bring in your ONE affiliate, with NO way to bring in the rest of the nets, for the VERY few people that would sub to such a service. ;) ;)

OTOH, D* could do this very easily, since they are not in trouble. And, they could probably do it very easily on their main (101) bird.

Pretending 12/1 doesn't exist, I don't think E* would use SV but DNS (NY/LA/CHI) to fill the gaps. At least that's they way they have been doing it. SV would just be icing - which E* even in the best of times didn't seem so gung ho on. I don't understand this because SV, like LIL is royalty-free.

Pretending 12/1 doesn't exist, I don't think E* would use SV but DNS (NY/LA/CHI) to fill the gaps. At least that's they way they have been doing it.

Uh, don't think so dude, how about THESE markets:

In SOME parts of the Terre Haute area, they carry ABC from Indy, as well as they ALSO carry a 2nd NBC from Indy as well, even though there is ALREADY a local NBC in TH.

In some parts of the Baton Rouge, LA DMA, they carry ALL 4 of main NETS from the Jackson, MS PLUS they carry a 2nd PBS & MYTV affilate from Jackson as well. This in spite of the fact Baton Rouge ALREADY has actual locals for ALL of these networks carried as well - so parts of the Jackson DMA gets TWO of pretty much everything! Also in this case, you CAN'T bring in any other stations other than the big 4 under a "distant" license - only SV.

In parts of the Baltimore DMA, they ALSO get ABC, CBS & NBC all from Washington DC, - of course you realize Baltimore has these same networks as well.

ALL of these are via SV, NOT distants - they could NOT bring these in as distants anyway, BECAUSE in these cases, the counties these SV's are in, ALREADY have the same networks from the primary DMA. And as I would think you would know, ALL of these local stations would have NEVER let E* bring in duplicate networks w/out it going as SV. Nor would I ever believe all these areas are considered a "white area", which is the only way I know that DBS could bring in all these various stations in as "distants".

Go to this & you can see ALL of the SV's (NOT distants) DISH has been using:
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/19

As I said in a previous post, E* is pretty much SOL on these little 1-2 network DMA's, UNLESS they pull some miracle & get permission to do SV. (I don't see them getting their distant's back anytime soon)

Last edited:

Maybe a dumb question.......Why is SV allowed on D* and not E*?

Mankato is in the same boat

Direct has Mankato "locals" which consists of
KEYC CBS (the only station in the DMA)
KARE NBC (SV from Mpls)
KSTP ABC (SV from Mpls)
KMSP FOX (SV from Mpls)
WB National
National PBS

Dish doesn't have locals but legally you get NBC, Fox & PBS via distants (until 12/1). ABC is Grade B from another DMA (Austin/Albert Lea/Rochester, MN). Dish if they didnt screw up could easily do this too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts