Wll CID display with Voip?

Phils

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Paradise, CA
I searched yesterday but only found some very old threads where it was mentioned (and it was mentioned that it it DIDN'T display at that time).

I'm considering DigitalPath.com for our internet and phone. I'm not even sure it would work until they send someone out to check (need line-of-site to a microwave tower about 2 miles away). Caller ID is included with their phone service.

Not a 'deal breaker' by itself, but will caller ID be displayed from my VIP622?

Phil

CID displays with Vonage using Linksys adapter. It should display with any VOIP adapter that supports CID with standard phones.

I have Caller ID working with VOIP through my local cable company (all-in-one modem/VOIP device) and both 722k's and a DishCOMM modem. It also worked with Vonage when I had it.

Thanks all, that's what I' hoped since the company couldn't tell me 'for sure'.

We're gonna have a site survey soon. There are two antennas within a few miles so if I don't have to topple too many trees to get a signal, their service will be a welcome improvement to our current 26.4Kbs dialup. (DUHHHHH)

Phil

You may also want to check with your cell phone company. I have verizon's home phone connect which replaced our $50/month land line. At $10/month it's much cheaper than many voip services, more portable (works in your vehicle just like a cell phone), and more reliable (all wireless and includes battery backup for power outages). Its CID works fine with Dish, but is number only, no names. I can't complain for the price.

Voip is probably a lot better today, but I tried a few different ones a few years ago and my family could not tolerate it. I would often have calls that would break up badly or one party could not hear the other. This was on a fast internet connection with priority given to voip, so I know my internet was not the issue.

There are also bluetooth gateway devices that connect your cell phone to your home phones. Those carry no monthly fee at all.

Last edited:
Voip is probably a lot better today, but I tried a few different ones a few years ago and my family could not tolerate it. I would often have calls that would break up badly or one party could not hear the other. This was on a fast internet connection with priority given to voip, so I know my internet was not the issue.

It must have been either a very poor voip service/adapter or there was some issue with the net connection. VOIP even on minumum 512/128 DSL should be as good as (or better) than a standard POTS line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)