Wonder if we made a mistake with the 942

DishDave

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 16, 2003
Think the ones that got the lease deal for 250.00 Made a mistake and will get burned when mpeg 4 rolls out This year or next year. Will they try and clip us again ????

In one word... Yes or Probably (pick one)

If you *needed* a 2 TV DVR solution with 1HD & 1 SD output , then NO. The thing that I like about the 942 is that it will display HD content on the SD TV2 out. I can't do that with my current set-up. :(

I'm going to wait out mpeg4 if I can. With me buying both the 921 & 522, there is no sense throwing more good money after bad. I thought about jumping on the 942 and adding a 4th TV. (replacing the 921)

I'm not an E* insider, so I can't say *what* goes on in their upgrade meetings, but IMO I can't see them swapping boxes for free. Even with a 2 year commitment.(watch them do it just cuz I said they won't)

We all just have to play the 'wait and see' game with them.

It will be/is the same with HD -vs- SD TV sets. If one of my SD sets die now, I will yard sale another tube rather than sinking money into another HD unit just yet. Same concept.

The price we pay to be on the bleeding edge... :D

I'm still not holding my breath for the MPEG4 roll out. However, that being said, since the 942 doesn't have S-video, I'm going to wait it out with the old work horse 6000. I'm gonna ride it till it dies. Maybe by that time MPEG4 will be out and I will be ripe for the picking on an upgrade offer.

I really enjoy the 942 and use it daily. Also have it "Home Networked" to three other SD sets. If you use it, that $250 is well spent. Time will tell, but at the present, I could not be happier with it. One can always stand at the sidelines waiting for the next "Big Thing" or think they may have purchased outdated electronics. I want to enjoy today, since tomorrow may never come.

rickaren said:
I really enjoy the 942 and use it daily. Also have it "Home Networked" to three other SD sets. If you use it, that $250 is well spent. Time will tell, but at the present, I could not be happier with it. One can always stand at the sidelines waiting for the next "Big Thing" or think they may have purchased outdated electronics. I want to enjoy today, since tomorrow may never come.

Well said my friend. Tomorrow is definitely not promised. Enjoy today while we have it. As a wise man once said, "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof"

Why do people keep complaining about MPEG4? Its been so complained about on both forums its getting burned to a crisp.

1) We are talking over a year or so

2) There will have to be some sort of upgrade plan

3) The content will trickle in slowly at first. To get people to want to goto MPEG4 initially there will have to be some real (shall I dare say....) "compelling content" to get people to early adopt.

4) Lease people will probably be able to upgrade again with another Lease Fee

Finally... when they do provide the upgrade path you will never had paid retail for the 942 anyway so whats the big deal.

What if something happens where you go blind or deaf within the next year or two before the upgrade to MPEG4? All that time spent worrying about MPEG4 would have been lost. ;)

The 942 is one fine piece of equipment. Enjoy it while you got it. I have heard nothing but raves about it. Take it from someone who DOESNT have one yet. I want one...probably get one in the fall when it gets cold and I will do the lease as well. While you could be spending the time enjoying your new 942 I will be sitting back wondering what it is like having the ultimate Dish reciever.

I wish people would stop worrying about the future and enjoy what you got today. I'm tired of hearing people complain just to have something to complain about.

E* is a business that is in some VERY hot competition with D* and they know that they will have to execute this conversion pretty flawlessly if they want to keep customers. They didnt get this big making dumb business decisions (although I can name several of them along the way.. no one is perfect).

....... ok I will crawl back in my corner and shut up for the rest of the day... :D :p No offense meant to be given and I hope none was taken while reading. Just trying to make a point.

Has someone seen somewhere that the 942 can't be upgraded to MPEG-4? I thought that a firmware upgrade would allow MPEG-4 decryption on this box. If the firmware can be upgraded, then why would 942 users be screwed? Even if the 942 can't be upgraded, the 942 is a great box that is doing things that nobody else can do right now.
--Edit

Okay, so I looked around a bit and although I can't find any official statements denying that the 942 can be upgraded to mpeg4, there seems to be a consensus that it actually can't be upgraded to mpeg4.

Dish has NO official statements regarding mpeg4 it seems, so with that, and knowing how long it takes to get hardware delivered, it seems that the 942 probably will not be able to be retrofitted to handle mpeg4.

Just enjoy it today, because within the next 10 years, when Dish finally gets around to rolling out mpeg4, the 942 will need to be upgraded. (250gigs will seem small then, anyway). :yes

When I first got this set-up 921/522(Nov 03) it was needed for HD-HT and SD BR-me/SD BR-for bedridden parent. Both with DVR. That was my only logical option at the time.

So, just to let you know where I am headed, I am not against anyone getting the 942 or even E*'s/D*'s eventual mpeg4 rollout. Its just that *I personally* am not going to go from a 921/522 to a 942/522 to a 10**(whatever) in my house, when I am the only one here now.

Hey :eureka , I could dump both, get a 942, split the SD output and just get a second TV2 UHF-Pro remote. THat would fill the bill. :cool: It would save me the 2nd DVR fee and allow me to watch HD content on my SD TV's. Hmmm... Maybe I could save enough to justify the upgrade. :rolleyes:

Even without the 'WAF', I cannot see spending that much within and 18-24 month time span though.

For a family w/wo kids, that watch a lot of TV, then go for it. I'm not going to belittle anyone for getting or not getting the viewing experience they want. I never meant it to sound like *everyone* should wait until the next best thing comes down the pike. :)

Carpe Diem - Caveat Emptor :D

tdillon said:
Just enjoy it today, because within the next 10 years, when Dish finally gets around to rolling out mpeg4, the 942 will need to be upgraded. (250gigs will seem small then, anyway). :yes
Hopefully by then, they will have gotten away from moving storage and solid state NVRAM will replace the hard drive.

That is the weakest link in the chain right now as many of us know all to well.... :(

DishDave said:
Think the ones that got the lease deal for 250.00 Made a mistake and will get burned when mpeg 4 rolls out This year or next year. Will they try and clip us again ????

My personal opinion: Just 1 year of my 942 performing as it has been (PQ, stability, design, interface), it's well worth $250.

:)

now I wouldn't recommend this to anyone else but...I paid the $649 for my 942, just about 2 weeks before existing subs were able to con their way into the $250 lease option :dev Oh well, timing is EVERYTHING, I guess.
But anyway, my point is that I am STILL glad I did it. Not that $400 is frivolous to me but my wife and I have made great use of the 942 and really love it.
I hope this doesn't sound too much like me rationalizing my purchase...even though it DOES make me feel a little better :yes But we don't vacation BIG and we keep our vehicles for quite a while...so it was a luxury I can afford and I don't regret it at all.

And, given E*'s previous dealings with me ($99 6000 with FREE 8VSB, $149 811), I feel that E* will make a reasonable effort come MPEG4-time.

cincyguy2k4 said:
Why do people keep complaining about MPEG4? Its been so complained about on both forums its getting burned to a crisp.

1) We are talking over a year or so

2) There will have to be some sort of upgrade plan

3) The content will trickle in slowly at first. To get people to want to goto MPEG4 initially there will have to be some real (shall I dare say....) "compelling content" to get people to early adopt.

4) Lease people will probably be able to upgrade again with another Lease Fee

Finally... when they do provide the upgrade path you will never had paid retail for the 942 anyway so whats the big deal.

What if something happens where you go blind or deaf within the next year or two before the upgrade to MPEG4? All that time spent worrying about MPEG4 would have been lost. ;)

The 942 is one fine piece of equipment. Enjoy it while you got it. I have heard nothing but raves about it. Take it from someone who DOESNT have one yet. I want one...probably get one in the fall when it gets cold and I will do the lease as well. While you could be spending the time enjoying your new 942 I will be sitting back wondering what it is like having the ultimate Dish reciever.

I wish people would stop worrying about the future and enjoy what you got today. I'm tired of hearing people complain just to have something to complain about.

E* is a business that is in some VERY hot competition with D* and they know that they will have to execute this conversion pretty flawlessly if they want to keep customers. They didnt get this big making dumb business decisions (although I can name several of them along the way.. no one is perfect).

....... ok I will crawl back in my corner and shut up for the rest of the day... :D :p No offense meant to be given and I hope none was taken while reading. Just trying to make a point.
IMHO, D* is going to be agressive in supplying MPEG4 H/W. They will be adding national HD channels INHD1 & 2, Cinemax and Starz. E* is not going to be charging anyone who paid $250.00 to lease a 942 anymore. At least not me, I was promised that the 942 would allow me to view all current and future HD programming from E*. They will have to buy me back out of it if they mis-informed me or told me incorrect information.

There is no way they can charge me more or no way I will let them. If they try, they must refund my $250.00 and I will switch to D*. It would make very bad business sense to even attempt to charge another fee. Once again these are my opinions, but they will also be my actions....

They 942 is a very nice DVR. E* should realize this and build the MPEG4 capability into a newer version and send a swap out to current owners. Since SD will be in MPEG2 for a while, maybe they can use the swapped 942's for people who only need SD.

I wouldnt worry until the announcement of exact timetables about MPEG4 are available. And from what I can gather, it wont really impact anything until next year at the earliest. The way I look at the 250 cost, its a $21 per month add-on for glorious HD content RIGHT NOW. Its high, but we are still in early adopter phase of HD. If I get more than 12 months with the unit, its bonus time. I already got 12 months out of my HD Tivo. Not bad for a doorstop unit. ;-)

Leasing the 942 was a no-brainer for me.

It cost less than half the price of a 921 ($250 vs. $489 + tax at Costco) and represents the latest technology as of spring 2005 (the 921's technology is over 18 months old (time on the market)). Plus, the 921 has a horrific history of bugs (reduced over time, but still something that's documented that I will choose to avoid).

As a leased item, there will be an upgrade path offered by Dish -- Echostar has a history of offering reasonably priced hardware upgrades to lease holders. The exact specifics of moving to MPEG4, of course, have not been announced, but past corporate history suggests that those who have leased a 942 will not be forgotten.

MPEG4 will not hit its stride until next year -- I suspect spring 2006 will see big time roll out and implementation of mass hardware swapping. This gives me plenty of time to enjoy my $250 investment in family entertainment. We all have both our SD and HD shows dialed into the DVR and enjoy the 942 very much.

Don't completely count out the 942 as un-upgradeable to MPEG4. The last Technical Support staffer I spoke with indicated that the engineers are working on the "situation" and he was under the impression that a solution may have been developed. I know the conventional thought on the Web is that the 942 will not be ungradeable to MPEG4, but surprises do happen.

The AV700 portable media device will work with the 942 and presumably other sat boxes Dish releases. The same Technical Support staffer said he had an opportunity to play with one and indicated that it's pretty awesome and really does seem to work as promised. The Archos version of the device should be available this month and the Dish-branded version by the end of summer. I'd like to buy the 40 GB version and then swap out the hard drive for a 300 gigger -- if possible -- I'm sure someone will develope a hack.

In summary, a 942 lease today will give one a terrific HD-DVR at a reasonable price with an upgrade path of some sort to MPEG4 technology when it rolls out (either a new box or user software/hardware upgrade). The portable media player option adds even more fun and functionality.

Lease a 942 -- you won't regret it.

David - This is way kool now. I had no idea this was even in the works :cool:

I just searched for the Archo's units and found where E* put $10 million into the company. This makes PocketDish just around the bend!

It plays mp3's, wav's, wma's and more!

I'd have to go with the AV700. A 2" or 4" screen just wouldn't get it. 7"(480x234 px) would be just big enough not to cause eye strain.

I may have to eat my 921(and my words) for just the *possibility* or portability! Woohoo! :D

But as to not hijack this thread....

I'm calling E* tomorrow to see about a 942. :eek:

David Dietzel said:
Don't completely count out the 942 as un-upgradeable to MPEG4. The last Technical Support staffer I spoke with indicated that the engineers are working on the "situation" and he was under the impression that a solution may have been developed. I know the conventional thought on the Web is that the 942 will not be ungradeable to MPEG4, but surprises do happen.
Sorry, MPEG decoding is done in HARDWARE. A chip soldered onto the motherboard.

We've (a bunch of really top-notch techs of all kinds) already beat this subject to death trying to determine if it were even POSSIBLE to do a field upgrade, and the bottom line is that it can't be done.

The Tech Support guys know about 1% more than a CSR - and sometimes less.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)