Woohoo, finally got my HD / DVB-S setup working!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HokieEngineer

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
So I've had a channel master 1 meter dish lying around ever since the whole Dish 105 HD fiasco. Well after reading around here and other sites, I saw that there is a PBS-HD channel on AMC 3.

The hard part of this whole operation was just getting the dvb app working! I had aimed my dish at Nimiq1 at 91 using a dish legacy lnb and an old dish receiver. I knew amc was just a little to the left and up slightly. However I could never get the signal levels on my PC to go above 0 after swapping out the dish lnb with my ku fss lnb. Finally, after I about kicked my dish in half, I hit "scan transponder" on the pbs hd transponder, and WALLA!! Signal level, and a channel!

My DVB setup is a Twinhan 1020. PC setup is a P4 3GHz. Processor is running around 40-50% according to windows. Right now I'm using RitzDVB... Looking at experimenting with some of the other ones now.

I decided to haul my PC downstairs and hook it up to my benq 8700. Oh very very very nice! Switched my video card to 1280x720x60hz, optical audio out. Now I think I need a vid card with dvi out!

Anyways, felt like sharing a success story. :D

Excellent. Does RitzDVB have a DVR feature? If so, how is that working.

What type of video card are you using and what input are you using to your TV?

Ritz can record programming, but it does not have the timeshifting of MyTheatre. I tried to record the pbs hd channel, but when I played it back in windows media player, it was really jerky. The actual recording seemed to be working fine though, so it might be a driver issue with WMP.

Just for the heck of it, I loaded the file in WinDVD and it played back fine.. Stupid WMP... Woohoo HD DVR!!

I'm just using the built in video card, which is an Intel 82915G. I didnt have enough cash to get a pci-express video card when I bought the mb/cpu so I got one with on board vid. It does a ton of resolutions surprisingly.

Since I have a 6000 hooked up to the benq right now, I just swapped the rgb-vga cable to my pc and it worked like a charm. I did however notice a little "echo" on the pic when I tried 1280x720x75 or 85hz. I figure 60Hz would be better anyways, since the HD signal is 60 fields per sec right? I'm using a homebuilt cable (from avsforum) using shielded cat5. This is why I want to upgrade the video card and purchase a dvi cable from my projector to the equipment rack.

Jerryt: What transponder is the free preview channel on n2? I looked on lyngsat but didnt see it.

HokieEngineer said:
Ritz can record programming, but it does not have the timeshifting of MyTheatre. I tried to record the pbs hd channel, but when I played it back in windows media player, it was really jerky. The actual recording seemed to be working fine though, so it might be a driver issue with WMP.

Just for the heck of it, I loaded the file in WinDVD and it played back fine.. Stupid WMP... Woohoo HD DVR!!

There's also a little program called Media Player Classic that I used after recording HD stuff from ProgDVD (haven't tried Ritz yet, I'll have to try). It played my recording from PBS HDTV when WiMP wouldn't. Less of a memory hog as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts