Xbox One no longer requires Kinect to be plugged in

This one didn't bother me much. If they are already including the Kinect I don't mind leaving it plugged in. I'm not worried about them spying on me. My worry with every Xbox One including a Kinect is forced gimmick controls. Every time a new console is released with something like this all the early games force us to use it.

Look at all the early PS3 games that required awful sixaxis motion controls. Every first party game incorporated them in some form. Luckily they let it go after they realized that most people didn't want it. At the very least they started giving standard controller alternatives even if they had a sixaxis option.

Then when they released the Vita the same thing happened. Uncharted on the Vita was a pretty great game for a handheld. The only thing that broke the experience was when they occasionally forced the Vita's new gimmick controls. You had to use the rear touch pad, swipe along arrows on the main touch screen, rub dirt of artifacts on the main touch screen, and at one point you even had to hold your Vita's rear camera up to a light like and idiot to read a piece of paper on the screen. Luckily most of the newer Vita games don't require these features or they at least use them in a way that isn't as intrusive.

When I am sitting on the couch playing the next gen games on an Xbox One I can see voice commands being okay if I am alone. I don't want to be shouting out orders at my TV while playing Battlefield 4 with other people around though. I also don't want to jump off the couch and wave my hands around like a lunatic. I'm sure many of the early games will require this kind of nonsense until they learn to get a little more subtle about it.

I'm sure games like Kinect Sports or Fitness/Dance games that are specifically designed for the Kinect will be great. I have no problem with that. I also don't fear the NSA or whoever else wants to listen in on my gaming sessions so I don't mind leaving a kinect on while I play. If their heart rate sensor that can tell when you are scared or really feeling a tense moment works as well as they say it does to give me a better experience I'm all for that. What I don't want is for standard games I could play just fine on a controller be taken over by yelling and waving at my TV. Like any other gaming experience, there will be some games that get it and do it right and some that don't.

I doubt many people will disable this.

I hope that they allow for custom commands. I think for the sake of rage quitting, I'd like to be able to yell something like "Xbox, Go F*CK YOURSELF!" and have it know to shut down as opposed to almost pushing that Xbox button to breaking to get that menu up.

This one didn't bother me much. If they are already including the Kinect I don't mind leaving it plugged in. I'm not worried about them spying on me.
I don't worry about having it plugged in. I leave my PS Eye plugged in all the time.

My concern would be if the Kinect is broken. I'd hate to be out the system, because an un-necessary perifrial was down. Likely with the earlier requirement for online, what if my internet is down?

I don't worry about having it plugged in. I leave my PS Eye plugged in all the time.

My concern would be if the Kinect is broken. I'd hate to be out the system, because an un-necessary perifrial was down. Likely with the earlier requirement for online, what if my internet is down?

?If your internet is down for more than a day frequently enough to matter you have bigger issues than the Xbox One not being able to connect.

I doubt the system would shut down if the kinect was never fixed. That'd almost be bait and switching the consumer, or at least it would be extremely sneaky and the last thing M$ needs at this point is more bad publicity with the One.

?If your internet is down for more than a day frequently enough to matter you have bigger issues than the Xbox One not being able to connect.
Yeah, I live out in the country where a down line may take a while to fix. I've have cable out for a day or more several times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)