XM Hits 4 Million

The information is good, the graphic is pretty, but the graphic requires more explanation than is given. There are valid reasons for the slow penetration of the other services and the rapid penetration of satellite radio.

Satellite Radio:

Within the US, satellite radio was available to virtually everyone in the 48 contiguous states on day 1. The receivers were a tad pricey, but the service was economical.

Cell Phone
When cell phone services were launched, the service areas were limited, cell phone coverage today, does not equal the coverage satellite radios had on day 1. The initial phones were expensive and the service was pricey.

Internet:
When the internet started (and not by Al Gore), the access was limited primarily to the US military and colleges/universities. Even after advances were made so that it was available to the masses, the initial costs were high (a computer is needed) and service prices were moderate. The initial costs remain high (in most cases a computer is needed) while the services have become much more economical. Internet access is NOT available to all locations in the contiguous 48 states.

Cable TV
Cable TV had slow growth, starting, I believe in major cities, (I remember a TV repair book my father had in the fifties that talked about cable TV in cities) then in some remote areas, then throughout suburbia. There remain areas within the 48 contiguous states where cable TV service is not available. The initial costs were high (back in the 50s/60s) and the costs were moderate. I feel that cable TV costs have become pricey; they should have come down in a manner similar to other technologies or remain the same with improved and new services.

So you see, it was the technology made it possible for satellite radio to achieve this penetration. The generally available technologies at the start-up of the other topics hindered their initial growth.

A better comparison graphic might show the length of time for the 4 million milestone acceptance of (gasp) AM radio, FM radio, and television.

Right or wrong this is my opinion!

Happy XM'ing,
Bob

Another huge thing you did not consider, population growth. The population we have today is a bit more than it was back when cable television started. This would cause the chart to be flawed. A better aspect would be how long did it take to get a certain percentage of the total population to get the service instead of a set number of subscribers. There are more possible customers today than what there was 10, 20, 30+ years ago because there are more people out there to buy the product.

Population Growth

Stargazer said:
Another huge thing you did not consider, population growth. The population we have today is a bit more than it was back when cable television started. This would cause the chart to be flawed. A better aspect would be how long did it take to get a certain percentage of the total population to get the service instead of a set number of subscribers. There are more possible customers today than what there was 10, 20, 30+ years ago because there are more people out there to buy the product.

That is the same argument I use when arguing against the dilution of talent for American baseball. Since the 30's the number of Major League (AL and NL) teams has grown. In addition to the white population growth, the available talent pool has grown, thankfully to include all races in America; in addition, the Major Leagues now have players from Korea, Japan, Aruba, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Venezula, and other countries. I apologize if I did not mention the homeland of a player or your favorite player; I do not know all the countries represented in Major League Baseball.

Another considertion is the cost (both initial and ongoing) as a percentage of average income. I think this would require two graphs, one with the acutal percentage, and the second with the cost and percentage of income 'normalized'. By normalized, I mean that the value of dollars be determined to be of equal value - $100.00 in 1950 have more value than $50.00 today.

Just another opinion.

First time post here-

I am getting Dishnetwork installed today. (w/Sirius channels)

Does anyone know if dish has all of the Sirius channels, or just some? I was planning on getting a Sirius receiver later this year to get Howard Stern in my car next year, and I was curious if he was going to be one of the channels on Dish as well.

Thanks.

-k

klen said:
First time post here-

I am getting Dishnetwork installed today. (w/Sirius channels)

Does anyone know if dish has all of the Sirius channels, or just some? I was planning on getting a Sirius receiver later this year to get Howard Stern in my car next year, and I was curious if he was going to be one of the channels on Dish as well.

Thanks.

-k

I beleive it has the majority of music channels, but doesnt have the talk and sports stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)