XR-3 (similar to Super Buddy) settings for Dish to see the 129 degree satellite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vulcanccit

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
So I have a new Applied Instruments XR-3 which is similar to the Super Buddy (as I see from a search here). I bought it as I soon will be installing a new C-Band dish for a radio station. To get used to the meter, I hooked it up to my Dish Network dish at home. I am trying to figure out the proper system, LNB type, and Switch type. Attached are pics of the dish on the room, and then the system setting pic showing the 129 degree satellite and transponder 17. I wanted to duplicate this reading on the meter. One of the only systems that lets me see 129 is the SuperDish on LNB4. no matter what I select, I always get a lock on 110. I do not get a lock on the 129. As far as I know I have the latest updated files as I did an update via the PC software that Applied Instruments has.

I am simply connecting the meter to the cable that normally goes to the dish as I do not have a ladder tall enough to go up and attach to each LNB, but as I read some Job Aid notes that dish has online, the internal switch should do this for me.

At work, this meter will be eventually used to find
SES-11 at 105 degrees West Longitude, on Transponder 17, Vertical polarization.
XDS Receiver Frequency: 01121000 kHz (1121.0 MHz) 9259574 sps (symbols per second)
Rate 3/4 FEC (Forward Error Correction)

for Westwood One. Currently we have an old crappy mesh dish and we will soon have a 3.8m solid dish that we purchased from Dawn Satellite. I want to be as familiar with the meter as possible as I need to down the current dish to put up and point the new dish. Years ago, I did all of this with a compass, Angle Finder, and the meter on the receiver lol. Hoping this meter will simplify it a bit. I know I will still have to get it in the ball park with the compass/anglometer, but... just saying.

So sorry for the long post but any help would be awesome and I thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• tempImagex896d2.png
    tempImagex896d2.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 162
  • tempImagePn1vU2.png
    tempImagePn1vU2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 91
So I have a new Applied Instruments XR-3 which is similar to the Super Buddy (as I see from a search here). I bought it as I soon will be installing a new C-Band dish for a radio station. To get used to the meter, I hooked it up to my Dish Network dish at home. I am trying to figure out the proper system, LNB type, and Switch type. Attached are pics of the dish on the room, and then the system setting pic showing the 129 degree satellite and transponder 17. I wanted to duplicate this reading on the meter. One of the only systems that lets me see 129 is the SuperDish on LNB4. no matter what I select, I always get a lock on 110. I do not get a lock on the 129. As far as I know I have the latest updated files as I did an update via the PC software that Applied Instruments has.

I am simply connecting the meter to the cable that normally goes to the dish as I do not have a ladder tall enough to go up and attach to each LNB, but as I read some Job Aid notes that dish has online, the internal switch should do this for me.

At work, this meter will be eventually used to find
SES-11 at 105 degrees West Longitude, on Transponder 17, Vertical polarization.
XDS Receiver Frequency: 01121000 kHz (1121.0 MHz) 9259574 sps (symbols per second)
Rate 3/4 FEC (Forward Error Correction)

for Westwood One. Currently we have an old crappy mesh dish and we will soon have a 3.8m solid dish that we purchased from Dawn Satellite. I want to be as familiar with the meter as possible as I need to down the current dish to put up and point the new dish. Years ago, I did all of this with a compass, Angle Finder, and the meter on the receiver lol. Hoping this meter will simplify it a bit. I know I will still have to get it in the ball park with the compass/anglometer, but... just saying.

So sorry for the long post but any help would be awesome and I thank you all in advance.
Power up, hit System (Top Left corner) set it for Dish Network.
Enter - Dish Network.
Enter again, and scroll down to WA DPH 1000.2 LNBF.
Enter - WA 1000.2.
Enter - Done.
Enter.

Power up, hit System (Top Left corner) set it for Dish Network.
Enter - Dish Network.
Enter again, and scroll down to WA DPH 1000.2 LNBF.
Enter - WA 1000.2.
Enter - Done.
Enter.

That is one of them that I tried but when I use the arrow keys I only get the 61.5, 110, and 119 satellites but not 129

Reactions: charlesrshell
That is one of them that I tried but when I use the arrow keys I only get the 61.5, 110, and 119 satellites but not 129
You're missing a step then. That meter is the upgrade to the Super Sat Buddy that every tech uses and some of us, me included, use the XR3. I use it every day.
Just the way I wrote it are the steps and the settings you want to select.

I'll do it on mine step by step.

Power
System - Select your Region, then drop down and select Dish Network - Enter.
Select Dish Network again - Enter.
Select WA DPH 1000.2 - Enter.
WA 1000.2 - Enter (Make sure you're not selecting the one that says 61.5 next to it)
Select Done - Switch Type should say Hybrid.
Exit.

You're missing a step then. That meter is the upgrade to the Super Sat Buddy that every tech uses and some of us, me included, use the XR3. I use it every day.
Just the way I wrote it are the steps and the settings you want to select.

I'll do it on mine step by step.

Power
System - Select your Region, then drop down and select Dish Network - Enter.
Select Dish Network again - Enter.
Select WA DPH 1000.2 - Enter.
WA 1000.2 - Enter (Make sure you're not selecting the one that says 61.5 next to it)
Select Done - Switch Type should say Hybrid.
Exit.
That is exactly what I did and I did NOT select the 61.5 version... just the vanilla WA 1000.2 and Hybrid is selected. On yours, does it show the 129 satellite? Perhaps I need to get with Applied ? I wonder if I am missing a field file... I am not questioning your procedure and what you gave me is golden!

Slightly off topic... does the LNB have to be powered on to see signal strength? I of course had it on with these tests...but when I was testing our current C Band dish at the radio station, I didnt turn on LNB as the LNB is powered by one of our receivers...I just had it connected with a splitter.

Thank you for what you sent so far HipKat!!! :D

I just attached the versions screens for reference.

Attachments

• tempImageKl9RNy.png
    tempImageKl9RNy.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 85
  • tempImage2DnGEJ.png
    tempImage2DnGEJ.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 85
That is exactly what I did and I did NOT select the 61.5 version... just the vanilla WA 1000.2 and Hybrid is selected. On yours, does it show the 129 satellite? Perhaps I need to get with Applied ? I wonder if I am missing a field file... I am not questioning your procedure and what you gave me is golden!

Slightly off topic... does the LNB have to be powered on to see signal strength? I of course had it on with these tests...but when I was testing our current C Band dish at the radio station, I didnt turn on LNB as the LNB is powered by one of our receivers...I just had it connected with a splitter.

Thank you for what you sent so far HipKat!!! :D
Mine starts with the 110- as LNB 1, 119 as LNB 2 and 129 as LNB 3. The meter is powering the LNB. That's how it get's it see the Sats

Hey folks I got an answer from Applied Instruments/Tescom

"The VSAT module is not compatible with the Turbo coded carriers for Dish. The 129 satellite has all turbo coded carriers and does not show up in the VSAT module. The Turbo S2 module is the best choice for Dish Network applications."

Our module is Vsat as we bought this for work with a C-Band dish...not Dish Network. I was only goofing with Dish to get more familiar with the meter. I hope this helps others in the future and thank you all for your help!

Update the firmware, you need a USB cable and then download Flash software from Apllied Instruments website. Follow instructions, but I updated my meter not long ago. But I have a 1000.2 dish and can read 129 signals no problem. Prior to that I had a 1000+ Superdish and no issues with that even though it had a seperate LNB.

Update the firmware, you need a USB cable and then download Flash software from Apllied Instruments website. Follow instructions, but I updated my meter not long ago. But I have a 1000.2 dish and can read 129 signals no problem. Prior to that I had a 1000+ Superdish and no issues with that even though it had a seperate LNB.
See my reply above... firmware was up to date from the start, but my post just before yours states that the issue is with the module. I need a different module for dish. I do not even need this for Dish, I was just seeing what it would do for my Dish Network. The module I have is VSat which does have Dish listed but see the reply I got from Tescom...

Reactions: HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)