Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 AV Receiver Review (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
415yamarec.promo_.jpg

415yamarec.bac.jpg

PRICE $1,700

AT A GLANCE
Plus
Rich, powerful sound with gobs of detail
Dolby Atmos capable
UHD-ready with 4K scaling and HDMI 2.0
Minus
No HDCP 2.2 DRM to handle future UHD content
Basic remote isn’t backlit

THE VERDICT
Yamaha’s one-step-down AVR delivers top-notch performance and features at a somewhat less than flagship price.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-aventage-rx-a2040-av-receiver-review

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
"No HDCP 2.2 DRM to handle future UHD content"

That's a big minus for that expensive a receiver.

Very interesting. It's funny because every two years I buy a new laptop and have to play catch-up with all the latest tech changes. I've had four Yamaha Amp/HT systems over the years, but I haven't had a need to purchase any more HDTV or HT receivers in the past 4-years. However, I'm in the process of getting a 4K/UHDTV (call it what you wish) and have decided to also upgrade my HT Receiver. Looking at the Sony KD-65X9005B, or perhaps a Samsung, along with a Yammy RX-A3040, which will drive my Klipshorns and KDF Series speakers (KDF-30s, KDF-10s and KDF-C7).

I was going to buy 4K set last month, but after catching-up with the latest tech I realized there just wasn't a great deal of UHD context to warrant making such as purchase. No problem, I'll pick-up he HT Receiver first and then get a better deal on the TV later this year when the broadcast and cable folks make 4K more widely available. Silly me...the Hollywood copyright folks get involved and I could have been bitten in the arse is I didn't do some homework regarding HDCP. Ugh!

As it stand right now, I'm probably going to wait another year for UHD to hopefully take-off and will buy the 4K TV, HDCP 2.2 receiver and also a 4K Blu-Ray version of the PS4. We shall see.

Oh, are there any HT Receivers that currently support HDCP 2.2? THX

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/yamaha-rx-a2040

Pros
  • Good value when comparing features and power to competitors
  • Multiple zones and other whole-house features
  • Atmos and Yamaha Presence mode give you lots of options for height speakers and they actually sound good most of the time
  • Simple to use once setup
Cons
  • Goofy Cinema DSP Sound Fields are too prominent in remote and on-screen menu, crowding my essential functions
  • Smart Phone settings for input names don't carry over to the actual unit display

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)