Yet ANOTHER Hard Drive Failure! SICK OF IT!!!!

Shoot To Thrill

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
United States
I am THIS close to dumping Dish Network.

I had a hard drive fail about a month ago. Lost EVERYTHING I had saved - It was a ton of stuff!

I told them then how disappointed I was and that I wanted a brand new Hopper w/Sling. - So sure, then send me another refurbished one. So here I am about a month with the refurb and once again the damn thing has a hard drive failure. I lose EVERYTHING once again..... I am spitting nails.

How can a company continue to send out these refurbished POS and get away with it?

My call with them was simple. I want tech sent out and he better have a BRAND NEW one. If he brings a refurbished POS receiver, he can pack all this sh*t up and take it all with him because I am done!

(there, I feel better)

To be honest I would rather a refurbished receiver over a new one, as its normal that if a hard drive fails it fails early in its life. I would say new receivers have hard drive failures a lot more often then the referbs do.

Also remember DISH does not make the hard drives.

If you are having a lot of failures it could mean other issues and I would suggest plugging it into a UPS or power conditioner as hard drive failures of DISH DVR's is not really that common of a problem.

To be honest I would rather a refurbished receiver over a new one, as its normal that if a hard drive fails it fails early in its life. I would say new receivers have hard drive failures a lot more often then the referbs do.
If the refurb'd receiver was in the replacement pool because of a previous HDD failure, you're in the same boat as a "new" receiver though.

Either way, as you say, Dish doesn't make HDDs, so it's purely the luck of the draw....

Reactions: Tron2012

Also remember DISH does not make the hard drives.

If you are having a lot of failures it could mean other issues and I would suggest plugging it into a UPS or power conditioner as hard drive failures of DISH DVR's is not really that common of a problem.

I have all my equipment plugged into a very expensive and top rated power conditioner, so I do know that isn't the problem.

I also know Dish doesn't make their own hard drives - but maybe they should expect better quality control from whatever joker of a company they contract them out to.

If the refurb'd receiver was in the replacement pool because of a previous HDD failure, you're in the same boat as a "new" receiver though.

Either way, as you say, Dish doesn't make HDDs, so it's purely the luck of the draw....

Well, my luck of the draw is pretty crappy and I am fed up with the lack of quality control on the part of Dish and their supplier.

Usually when there are repeated failures of the same component it means something in the environment contributes to the problem. Does the unit have plenty of ventilation?

I have a hopper 2 that has had many hard drive failures in the past year and a half. I do the unplug reset sometimes I lose everything some times I don't . It's still the same drive that came with the box so I personally think there is more to the so called drive failure. It makes me think it is also a software bug .

Reactions: Shoot To Thrill
This time it wasn't a full blow out. The DVR wouldn't respond to the remote, or the DVR would shut down, restart and then do it again. On some reboots I would get a "hard drive failure" banner, other times it would boot fine and then start changing channels on it's own.

Yes, it sits alone with no obstructions
Someone can clarify this for me but I had a similar issue until I concluded the ventilation on the Hopper was on the sides not top or bottom so if it fits snug left and right sides bad things happen.

Moved it to a slot with lots of left/right wiggle room and all has been well since.

But I could be wrong.............

Reactions: JSheridan
I have a fan pulling air out of the right side of my Hopper.

Had the fan since my 622.

One HDD failure on the 622 is all I've experienced.

I've had both of my Hoppers go belly up with hard drive issues in the last three months. Both have plenty of ventilation area.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Had the fan since my 622.

One HDD failure on the 622 is all I've experienced.
I could have sworn it is the left side that needed help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hall

Me too! it makes a big difference lowering the operating temperature of the receiver by quite a bit.

I could have sworn it is the left side that needed help.

I think you are thinking of the 622/722 VIP receivers. They had the air flow in the opposite direction compared to the Hopper.

How can a company continue to send out these refurbished POS and get away with it?

My call with them was simple. I want tech sent out and he better have a BRAND NEW one. If he brings a refurbished POS receiver, he can pack all this sh*t up and take it all with him because I am done!

A while back, my HWS had a hard disk failure. Dish sent me a refurbished unit. I opened the case to get a look at the hard drive, and it turned out that Dish had put a brand new Western Digital hard drive in the refurbished unit. The date on the hard drive showed that it was only a couple of months old. It has been quite a while now, and I have not had any problems with the refurbished receiver. Just because it is refurbished, does not always mean that it is a POS.

Reactions: Tampa8
No, the Hopper. the 622/722 vented out of the top.
You might be correct about the top vents, but I remember that when I had a 722k receiver, I had the fan on the left rear of the receiver pulling out air. I also remember that that was the correct place to put the fan for that receiver.

You might be correct about the top vents, but I remember that when I had a 722k receiver, I had the fan on the left rear of the receiver pulling out air. I also remember that that was the correct place to put the fan for that receiver.
That is where I had my dual fans on left side for 722s too.