Yet another Install question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Su Meri

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
I hate to bug you all with another install question, but I want to have everything ready for my install on the 20th.
The house we moved into has the worst hippie rig job I have ever seen. Old owners had Direct tv and they must have splitters everywhere. I have found two already behind cable outlets. My cox digital cable (that I cannot wait to get rid of) goes in and out and my cable broadband goes in and out. Cox came and looked at it and said they would need to get in the attic (One story house) and try and find the problem but they said it was pretty obvious that there was more than a few splits going on.
I told them don't worry, I was looking for an excuse to get dish network back anyway.
Question is will the typical install be able to solve these problems? Also I want one receiver in a room that has no cable running to it yet?
I am considering running all the cable myself since it is pretty simple to do with a big attic, but didn't want to waste my time and do an amature job if this is part of the typical install?
Thanks

The installer will run all new cable for you if that is what you want and what you need. The only thing that I can think of that you might have a problem getting him to do is doing a wall fish. If it was me I would go by wal mart and buy a short piece of coax (about 10' per wall that needs to be fished) and just do it yourself before he comes. Also you might want to buy some wal plates with a f-connector on them to cover the hole in the wall. You will also needs some back plates to hold the wall plate to the wall also. They sell all this stuff at Lowe's or the Home Depot.

From the sounds of it, if it was my house I'd run new cable from dish to the receiver locations just for the sake of it and use the existing if it's in good condition to run the backfeeds. If there are existing wall plates I would either put on better barrel connectors or run cables straight through. An installer is very capable of doing this and should have all this equipment on board. Around here I have to question most DirecTV (and DISH) installs and usually tidy up or completely re-install components for DISH Network use.

Your install is only as strong as it's weakest link. What a downer to have solid mounts, perfect dish alignment, very good quality cable and a low-frequency barrel in a wall plate kill your system. etc.....

The existing cable is probably fine, but this is what precaution I would do to assure best performance for DISH Network equipment.

BrettTRay said:
The installer will run all new cable for you if that is what you want and what you need. The only thing that I can think of that you might have a problem getting him to do is doing a wall fish. If it was me I would go by wal mart and buy a short piece of coax (about 10' per wall that needs to be fished) and just do it yourself before he comes. Also you might want to buy some wal plates with a f-connector on them to cover the hole in the wall. You will also needs some back plates to hold the wall plate to the wall also. They sell all this stuff at Lowe's or the Home Depot.

I wouldn't advise this, but if you do, make sure it's all RG 6 cable, as well as High Frequency barrel connectors in the wall plates.

My advice would be to request the installer install new cable. Most installation problems occur because a tech used Prewired cable because he was too lazy to install new. What's funny about this is tech's will spend hours troubleshooting trying to find a splitter instead of just running new cable. You DNS installation includes the necessary cabling to install your system completely. For a Tech it's a bonus to have good prewired cable there, but if it's not there, We are in the cable installation business. Something I have to remind my tech's all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)