Your local provider is shutting down their TV service. What can you do?

It’s starting to make news all over the country. Smaller cable TV companies are getting out of the cable TV business. It’s astounding to me. These are often the same companies that were slow to offer high-speed internet, and now they’ve completely changed their tune. Now they only want to offer high-speed internet, and they’d be just fine if you stopped calling them “the cable company.” I guess cable really is a dirty word.

Why is this happening?​

Well, it’s hard to give one answer that applies to every situation. But, I think that if you look at trends in the marketplace, it’s getting harder and harder for these smaller operations to compete. People either want to go streaming-only, or they want a really robust TV package that includes all the popular channels. As more people go to streaming, it makes it harder for a small company to craft a good deal with larger providers like Disney and Warner Bros. Discovery. That then translates out to higher prices for the consumer which drives more people away. It’s a vicious cycle that never seems to stop.

So, these small companies are, quite simply, giving up. They’re saying in effect “we’ll give you internet service. If you want to stream, stream. If you want pay-TV, there are other options out there and we wish you luck.”

I think that’s a pretty tough stance and I’m sure that it’s not a popular one. There are still millions upon millions of people who want a traditional pay-TV experience, and they’re willing to pay to get one. And their local cable company, who has been taking their money for decades, just doesn’t want to take their money anymore. But I do understand that it’s nothing personal, it’s only business, and if that’s how those companies want to business that’s up to them.

First thing you need to know: You don’t have to take their suggestion​

A lot of these companies are sending their customers the message that their cable TV is going away and that they must migrate to a particular live streaming service. YouTube TV has been mentioned, and so has DIRECTV for internet. Now, these are fine services and I have no problem recommending them. I’m especially fond of DIRECTV for internet. But, here’s my point: if you wanted a live streaming TV service, you probably would have one already. Chances are you’re with traditional pay-TV because you want traditional pay-TV.

When they tell you to switch to streaming, you don’t have to. Every provider is going to have some sort of “opt-out” plan where you just tell them you don’t want to stream. Then you are free to get your pay television from the same two companies that have more subscribers than any other.

Choose satellite TV from DIRECTV or DISH​

Satellite TV is an excellent bet. If you have a clear view of the southern sky from your roof, chances are you’ll have no problem getting satellite TV. Satellite TV is 99.9% reliable or more, and unlike cable TV, issues generally fix themselves. Choosing DIRECTV or DISH as a pay-TV choice will give you the power to do what you really want: relax and watch TV your way.

Here’s why you should choose DIRECTV​

DIRECTV is the largest satellite TV provider in the world. They lead the market in high-definition and 4K channels, and offer more sports packages than anyone else. You might have heard that the NFL package has gone to streaming, and that’s true. But if you’re looking for practically any other sport, they have a package for you.

With an internet-connected DIRECTV system, you get access to all your streaming apps as well as live TV, all in one box. You also get DIRECTV’s Stream Saver technology, which automatically switches to streaming in the rare case of satellite signal loss. You can have DIRECTV in 7 rooms and record up to 7 things at the same time. Most DIRECTV programs, even prime time programs, are available on demand for up to 72 hours and you can even choose to start a program from the beginning if you come in at the middle.

Here’s why you should choose DISH​

DISH is the only provider in the marketplace that offers you the ability to record 16 things at the same time. Their auto hop system lets you automatically skip commercials on many channels, and every DVR includes Prime Time Anytime, which automatically records all the primetime programming on the major networks, even if you forget.

DISH’s system lets you have up to 32 recording tuners and 14 rooms at the same time. Unless you’re a tech billionaire that’s probably going to be enough for you.

DISH is the only provider that puts the most common streaming channels right in the guide, and thousands of other streaming apps are just one button press away. DISH’s tech has been designed to appeal to people who grew up on live TV and a lot of people say it’s the easiest service to use.

The choice is up to you​

DIRECTV or DISH, you still win. You’re going to get the great pay-TV experience you love and you don’t have to worry about moving over to a pure streaming system that might feel unfamiliar. Here’s the best part: you don’t have to choose someone to work with.

Signal Connect is a DIRECTV Dealer of the Year and DISH Premier Local Retailer. We are the only dealer to be on the top tier of both organizations and we are here ready to support you. Don’t let the cable company bully you into something you don’t want or need. Get satellite TV the way you want it.

Call us at 888-233-7563. Our 100% US-based operation is staffed by real technicians and customer service experts, not script readers. We don’t believe in phone trees. We believe in helping people, and we can’t wait to help you. Call us during East Coast business hours, or fill out the form below and we’ll get right back to you!

The post Your local provider is shutting down their TV service. What can you do? appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...

Podcast #533: SiriusXM is actually a great solution

Five Things Marine Installers Need to Know About DIRECTV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)