Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Ok now I can officially be called a SatelliteGuy! :D

As you might know in the past I have attempted to setup my Free To Air Dish with a motor. And I never really had success tracking the arc. After many weekends trying to get it to work I took off the motor and made it a stationary dish for Galaxy 10R.

For fathers day my wife let me get a 1.2 meter Dish. I ordered a Fortec 1.2 meter dish from Sadoun and this weekend I finally got to set it up.

Yesterday I pole mounted it and had it locked on SBS6, today I screwed with the motor and after some very minor adjustments I am very happy (VERY HAPPY) that I can scan the ENTIRE arc! From PAS 9 at 54 degrees (Getting Cubasat in with a solid 74 signal) all the way to IA7 at 129! (Again with a solid 72 signal!)

I am VERY happy!! :D :D I feel like dancing. :D

CONGRATS Scott!
Knew you could do it :)

btw: Pas9 is at 58, not 54 :D

Can you get over to Hispasat 1C/1D at 30 degrees?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Ok now I can officially be called a SatelliteGuy! :D

As you might know in the past I have attempted to setup my Free To Air Dish with a motor. And I never really had success tracking the arc. After many weekends trying to get it to work I took off the motor and made it a stationary dish for Galaxy 10R.

For fathers day my wife let me get a 1.2 meter Dish. I ordered a Fortec 1.2 meter dish from Sadoun and this weekend I finally got to set it up.

Yesterday I pole mounted it and had it locked on SBS6, today I screwed with the motor and after some very minor adjustments I am very happy (VERY HAPPY) that I can scan the ENTIRE arc! From PAS 9 at 54 degrees (Getting Cubasat in with a solid 74 signal) all the way to IA7 at 129! (Again with a solid 72 signal!)

I am VERY happy!! :D :D I feel like dancing. :D

What Motor are U using Scott?

Iceberg said:
Can you get over to Hispasat 1C/1D at 30 degrees?
Probably. I only programmed in the satellites which were listed in the menus on my Coolsat 5000. I am sure I can probably see them in the sky, I have a nice clear view in the sky from 61.5 and to the left. :)

I am using USUALS for everything except G10R, as that one needs a slight nudge to get the best signal.

What Motor are U using Scott?
I am using the Stabb 120 HH (HH120) http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/STAB/HH120-Stab-HH-Diseqc-USALS-Motor.htm

It's very slow, takes a few minutes to go from one the side of the arc to the other. However it seems very accurate. :)

That is the same thing I have, the HH120 and I like it, but then again I do not have anything to compair it against..:D

Scott
When you change satellites (if you have to boogie across the arc) pick a horizontal channel (like UWTV on G10). That sends 18 volts to the motor and will move it faster :)

I screwed with this thing last night, I was loving it. I programmed in all the missing satellites and USUALS hits them all with no problem. :)

I did have a problem which I have not figured out yet...

On IA6 there are a few channels which are not scanning in (this is on a coolsat 5000)

First being Classic Arts Showcase - I do a manual scan I setup the transponder11836 H with a SR of 7179, Both signal and level bars are green (and are both above 70) but when I scan it, the scan finds nothing.

The second being Dr Gene Scott and the University Network 11865 V with a SR of 3516. Again the signal and quality are both green with very good readings. However when it scans it find nothing.

I have even done a blind scan and it has not found these channels. I am getting other things on this satellite such as IRS and Azteca, so I have no idea whats going on.

Now tonight I want to hook it up to my PC Card and watch from 4.2.2 and maybe even some wild feeds on SBS 6 which seem to crop up on Monday Nights. Whats the best way to hook this up?

Do I go from the loop out jack on the Coolsat 5000 to my PCI card? I know on the PCI card I should have it set to turn the LNB power off. (Although this is using an INVACOM Quad, maybe I should run a line from the LNB direct to the computer.

However I would rather not do this as I have a GI 650 receiver and I would like to try picking up ANALOG KU signals, again whats the best way to wire this?

One thing I do not like about the COOLSAT 5000 and the Stab 120 motor is when it goes to move the motor the "Moving to Satellite" screen only stays up for a few seconds. I wish it would stay up until the motor has finished moving. Last night when I went to bed I wanted to blind scan the entire arc, but could do it as when it moves the dish the moving dish screen is only up for a few seconds and then it tried blind scanning when the dish has not finished moving to the satellite.

Thanks for any tips or advice. :)

I screwed with this thing last night, I was loving it. I programmed in all the missing satellites and USUALS hits them all with no problem.

On IA6 there are a few channels which are not scanning in (this is on a coolsat 5000)

First being Classic Arts Showcase - I do a manual scan I setup the transponder11836 H with a SR of 7179, Both signal and level bars are green (and are both above 70) but when I scan it, the scan finds nothing.
Gone. Not there anymore. Lyngsat needs to be updated :D

The second being Dr Gene Scott and the University Network 11865 V with a SR of 3516. Again the signal and quality are both green with very good readings. However when it scans it find nothing.
That one is weird as there is a frequency real close to it so sometimes it screws it up. It should work. Shows up on mine at those frequencies

Now tonight I want to hook it up to my PC Card and watch from 4.2.2 and maybe even some wild feeds on SBS 6 which seem to crop up on Monday Nights. Whats the best way to hook this up?

Do I go from the loop out jack on the Coolsat 5000 to my PCI card? I know on the PCI card I should have it set to turn the LNB power off. (Although this is using an INVACOM Quad, maybe I should run a line from the LNB direct to the computer.
I would hook a line to the computer from the LNB. This way you have both polarities. Otherwise you are limited to what polarity the Coolsat 5000 is on

However I would rather not do this as I have a GI 650 receiver and I would like to try picking up ANALOG KU signals, again whats the best way to wire this?
This I would use the loop out. Otherwise the analog will only get H polaritites

One thing I do not like about the COOLSAT 5000 and the Stab 120 motor is when it goes to move the motor the "Moving to Satellite" screen only stays up for a few seconds. I wish it would stay up until the motor has finished moving. Last night when I went to bed I wanted to blind scan the entire arc, but could do it as when it moves the dish the moving dish screen is only up for a few seconds and then it tried blind scanning when the dish has not finished moving to the satellite.

That’s normal. Wish it stayed on there too until it was done moving

Classic Arts is always real tough to scan in!

Yes loop out the receiver and into the card! get ready for some HD FTA! You could put a simple A/B switch there and go to the analog receiver, thats the way mine is setup!

Watching Classic Arts right now Iceberg!

You REALLY need to get your self a Traxis DBS 3500 :)

Pete that may work. :) I have lots of A/B switches doing nothing.

Its been so long since I have played with this GI 650. It will be interesting to see what KU Analog stuff I can pick up. :)

Of course after I get all this working then I guess I will get the C/KU LNB from PSB and see what I can get there, but I want to get all the KU stuff working and setup first. :)

PSB said:
Well done! Its not rocket science.....OK it is!

The first time I set mine up it was rough... all the subsequent times I tweaked it have been more forgiving.

Welcome to the world of FTA Scott! :up

Scott Greczkowski said:
Pete that may work. :) I have lots of A/B switches doing nothing.

Its been so long since I have played with this GI 650. It will be interesting to see what KU Analog stuff I can pick up. :)

Of course after I get all this working then I guess I will get the C/KU LNB from PSB and see what I can get there, but I want to get all the KU stuff working and setup first. :)

Not much ku analog out there now for sports feeds. Football season should bring some more action. There's an occasional minor league game on SBS 6, but that's about it now. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)