Yup, it seems HVD is coming, HVD is coming...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

T2k

The Raw Nerve
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 5, 2004
Park Slope, NYC
Hah, I didn't read the date :D [Was: HVD is coming, HVD is coming... }

Haha, there's nothing about HVD... :)

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2005/11/24/maxell_holo_storage/

Man, I missed the date: it's a 2005 article :D
:cool:

Nevertheless I'm still a big fan of this whole HVD stuff - I hope it will take off before it'd be too late...

However see below - interesting stuff...

Last edited:
The current article is actually this one:

Indian boffin touts protein-based '50TB DVD'

By Tony Smith
12th July 2006 14:38 GMT
Get The Register's new weekly newsletter for senior IT managers delivered to your in-box, click here.

DVDs may eventually become organic, replacing dyes with light-sensitive proteins in order to boost their storage capacity to 50TB - the equivalent of 1,000 dual-layer Blu-ray Discs. It also gives them potentially the same high-speed read and write access as hard drives.

The concept was described at a nanotechnology conference held in Brisbane, Australia this week. Harvard Medical School boffin Professor V Renugopalakrishnan revealed how he created a layer of protein made by genetically modified bacteria. The protein is light-senstive, changing its structure when illuminated with light.

Unfortunately, the change last only for a few hours, so Renugopalakrishnan and his team adjusted the Halobacterium Salinarum bacteria's DNA so they produce proteins capable of retaining their changed state for years.

Renugopalakrishnan reckons that by spreading the protein on a DVD or any flat medium. The size of the molecules means that whatever the size of the device, the data density is massive. He also suggested the system could eventually be used to replace hard drives, though it's unclear whether the protien repsonds to light fast enough to operate as an alternative to magnetic storage.

USB Flesh Disk, anyone?

Oh, yeah. Maybe it'll hit the market- right after FMD.

I'd give it less than 50-50 odds that we'll see it make it to the broad market. Less than SED's chances.

I've seen too many great product announcements; too few making it to market. If marketing were truth, we'd have wall sized OLED super HDTVs running off FMDs and the room lighted by ceiling sized painted on light emitters, with very low electric bills. Or maybe even hydrogen fuel cells powering each of our houses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts