12 ft Paraclipse Classic Polar T Antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 25, 2007
:eek:?Boy, do I need a manual or a lot of help!

I bought one of the original paraclipse 12 ft classic antennas with the standard Polar T linear actuator drive. It performed without missing a lick until I took it down and completely disassembled it for a long distance move with a moving van with similar items taped together and wrapped with moving quilts. I used a couple of pieces of masonite to protect the panels and keep them flat. Everything arrived safely 1200 miles away. The dish was moved again for a few miles, then moved again to the final destination in central Texas. I can't inventory all of the parts, because of not having a list of material, but from memory, it looks like everything is here and undamaged although it has been 19 years since it was disassembled for the original move.

This version does not have any grooves in the ribs for the mesh to slide in and instead uses wire U clips to go across the ribs to hold the panels in place at the ribs. I also remember that this version assembles the mesh panels differently then some of the others because of the method used to hold the panels to the ribs. I did download a manual for a later version that uses the wonderful Horizon to Horizon actuator, but a lot of things are quite different on the polar T version. I also replaced the button hook with the factory 4 pole LNB mount kit.

Fortunately, I bought a new package of j clips, which I unpacked after 19 years of storage. There are lots of J clips, but no U clips. Since the J clips are made from .045 aluminum wire (probably welding wire), I assume this is the best choice for the U clips but not the cheapest since the wire comes in huge spools!

I was so happy that they included two Deldrin washers (.120 thick and .125 thick), although the original had a single machined nylon washer and I am not sure where two washers go. The Polar T actually pivots the entire antenna on a single 3/4 inch bolt that fits in two bronze bushings (that probably need to be greased when assembled again). The 3/4 inch bolt then fits through two holes in an offset C bracket that bolts to the rear hub.

The C Bracket had an 1/8 inch aluminum shim at the top to further space it from the rear hub probably to set the declination angle. They sent me two more of these, one was .059 thick aluminum, and the other was .030 thick plastic. I have no idea which one(s) I need to use. I am about 1 degree latitude further South now that at the original location. ( I can calculate the required shim for the declination angle, if it is not listed in the manual)

I found a place that sells 3.5 inch od pipe for $2.95/foot and I believe it will take about 7 1/2 feet. A lot of rock in the soil, so will dig the hole BEFORE I go buy the pipe and hopefully, will be able to buy it Monday.

I have a place cleared in the barn and the basic pieces laid out for assembly. I plan to guess at the correct bolt sizes and lengths and do a loose assembly.

Boy, do I need a manual! If anyone has one, please let me know and I would be glad to pay for the postage, scan it, and return it to you.

? I sincerely appreciate any help in getting this beautiful antenna back up in the air again!

Quite a project! Can't offer any help on the manual or assembly, since I've not owned a Paraclipse (yet, lol). You will probably refigure your pipe though, once you dig the hole.
I've had a 12' mesh before, and I found that with the usual 8' of pipe and a dish that big, once it went to the west of 125W degrees-it was getting very close to the ground.
Be sure you allow for the edge of the dish lowering as you go west with your motor. I took a shovel and dug out a spot so I could go over to 137West, and be confident I wasn't driving the old dish into the ground! That one eventually fell apart, and I took it down, an old Janeil Dark Star.

Yea, we got ya covered

We have a Manuals Download section.
On page 7, there are three Paraclipse items.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/downloads.php?do=cat&id=2&page=7
You'll have to see if they apply to your situation.
Several members have the 12' Classic.
I recall a few years back, Stogie5150 talked about sitting around making up new clips 'till his fingers were numb. :)
His was on a factory H-H mount, but his assembly and install thread will still be very helpful.
In that thread, a member in Hawaii shared his experience with 12' and 14' versions.
And just in the last few months, two more members got Classics with standard mounts.
Hopefully, all those guys 'n more will chime in with pictures and advice. ;)
?

Last edited:
......and unlike some paraclipse owners....I am still here and can answer questions should the need arise, but I cant help you with the mount, sorry. :D

Thanks for all the information so far. I still have a lot of questions as a lot of the technology has changed for satellite systems. Fortunately, the basics are still intact!:)

Turbostar: I will keep that in mind, but not sure how much to allow. The manual I read said to have 65 inches above ground level with the pole, which should prevent the dish from hitting the ground if the center line of the dish is 7 inches above the top of the pole. I will measure the mount I have laying in the barn.

Anole: Thanks for the references. This is the only manual I have been able to read, but it is quite different from the original Polar mount 12 ft paraclipses. Sure enjoyed the price list and options. Wish I could order a couple! This is the manual for the HH mount, so still hoping to find the earlier version for the Polar T since both the dish and mount are quite different. The references to prices brought back a lot of memories, because when the dish arrived on a flat bed 4 ft off the ground, I discovered that that was a lot of dish to handle with no dock, no help, or anything else. Had to cut the box and unload a lot of it to get the box off the truck. The driver didn't like my very steep 800 ft long driveway up in the mountains of Jamul, CA, and was not a lot of help in getting it off the truck.

I downloaded all the reference documents and got quite a bit of helpful data. Still looking for a manual for a polar mount Paraclipse, though.

Yes, I am very interested to talk to anyone with a Paraclipse, particularly those with standard mounts or experience with this antenna.

Primestar31: Thanks for the reference, and I just finished reading many pages of helpful information!

stogie5150......and unlike some paraclipse owners....I am still here and can answer questions should the need arise, but I cant help you with the mount, sorry. :D

You don't know how much help you have been so far!!! I read and re-read your previous posts and that helped a lot!

stogie5150 wrote "Also got an older paraclipse assembly manual, 1991"

I still have a lot of questions, if you will bear with me until this antenna is again pulling signals from the c and ku band satellites.

That is close to the one I am looking for. My Dish is a Paraclipse s/n 052399 purchased new from Paraclipse.

Mauiguy wrote "I have an even older manual for the paraclypse that did not incorporate any type of groove or plastic cap material to secure the mesh. Apparently they used a "U" shaped wire to hold the mesh down on the trusses. In addition it had a button hook type feed."

Hope he still has it or a scan of it after all these years!

Mauiguy posted #47 & #48 on the Stogie thread - 4 photos of a dish that looks very similar to mine, except that it is a 14 ft and has a counter weight on it, but it was a polar T mount.

Today, I laid out the hub and started attaching the ribs loosely. I started with all nuts to the inside of the ribs and hopefully laid out everything correctly so the hub will attach to the polar mount bracket, and the actuator bracket will be in the right place. Hopefully the actuator bracket goes on the same side in Texas as it did in California.

A manual would be extremely helpful for this 12 ft Paraclipse re-install.

For any TVRO history buffs: My first 12 ft dish was completely home made starting with making a plaster mold, laying up fiberglass with tin foil on the second layer for dish conductivity. The polar mount was huge, made from pipe and driven with a motorized jack screw operated with a push button. The LNA (not lnb) was also home made. Notice the old alliance rotator for polarity. Took 15 seconds to change from horizontal to vertical polarity. This system was built in early 1980, so putting together a 12 ft Paraclipse several years later seemed like a very reasonable upgrade.

? Now I am getting to do it all over again!

Home made 12 ft fiberglass dish.jpgHome made LNB 0018.jpg

Does your dish look anything like this? If so I will scan the entire manual and post it here. I'm still in the process of restoring my 12ft paraclipse that I acquired lately. Looking at the manual the S/N is # 59000.
View attachment Paraclipse Cover.pdf

Last edited:
Does your dish look anything like this? If so I will scan the entire manual and post it here. I'm still in the process of restoring my 12ft paraclipse that I acquired lately. Looking at the manual the S/N is # 59000.
View attachment 89867
It looks very close and is the ONLY polar T manual that I have seen on any website.

?A copy of it would be very much appreciated and will save me a lot of work in getting this antenna completed and pointed to the sky again!!!

I have read a post on this website that serial number 151076 and earlier had the focal distance of 52.625, and the later ones had the 53.375 distance. My s/n is 052399, but I suspect the differences are minimal.

Zipped Paraclipse file

Babadem, here's your files combined & zipped:

Attachments

• Babadems Pclipse.zip
    11.5 MB · Views: 456
Thanks to Babadem, a manual is finally available for the Paraclipse 12 ft Classic Polar T antenna!!!

:happydance: The manual looks really good, Babadem. Thanks so much for your hard work. I combined the file into a single file, but it it 13.3 megs and the forum limit on uploads is 5 megs. I can rescale jpeg files, but will have to see if any Mac software will resize .pdf files.

The differences I see are very minor, although I need to understand why they are different.

The polar mount swivel on mine is simpler (but possibly not as safe) using only a 3/4 inch bolt that turns on two bronze bushings and has a declination shim. Yours is quite similar although the bolt is hidden, but have not quite figured out why they made the change.

The elevation adjustment on both is a turnbuckle, but yours is centered on the post and mine is at the side. Looks like yours is an improvement, and therefore probably a later design change.

Your actuator mounting is 3 screws to the rib, where mine uses two screws and the other end of the actuator, they furnish a plate with two U bolts to hold the actuator. There is a much better plate furnished where actuators are sold that holds the actuator better when adjusting the initial position.

Mine does not have a safety cable on the declination assembly.

The manual indicates that only an 18 inch actuator is required. I have always used a 24 inch and you have to be sure the sensor is compatible.

The manual SAVED me a lot of rework as the actuator attach bracket moves from the East side rib to the West side rib for my new location!!!

Thanks again for your hard work in scanning the manual and making it available. I will try to find an easy way to reduce the size of the file short of rescanning it to .jpg files. If someone knows how to do this easily, please jump in and do it or tell us how!:)

I didn't know it would take a larger file as a zip file. This file puts all the pages in order and will scroll as a 20 page pdf document! Although a little large in size, it is a high resolution for a scanned document.
Thanks to Brex2001 showing me how, I was able to upload the entire manual as a single document. The manual was provided by Babadems on his Paraclipse dish!!!

?I View attachment Paraclipse 12 ft Classis Polar T manual.pdf.zip

There's free zip apps out there wen.
Such as from 7-zip.org ;)
Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your point of view, most of my work is done on Mac software. The osx operating system will zip and unzip and the Preview allows you to put each of the single pdf pages in order and make a single document out of it, just like the manual that it is in hard copy form. The problem I had was the SatelliteGuys software would not upload a file larger than 5 meg, but after you showed me that it would take a zip file, I compacted the file in zip format and it uploaded with no problems. Thanks for the help.

I am so glad to finally have a manual to use in re-assembling this Paraclipse antenna and had previously searched in vain for this information. Due to high heat and humidity, only the morning hours are practical for working on the antenna, and it is a one person operation. I remember that installing the mesh takes two people!:mad:

I didn't know it would take a larger file as a zip file. This file puts all the pages in order and will scroll as a 20 page pdf document! Although a little large in size, it is a high resolution for a scanned document.
Thanks to Brex2001 showing me how, I was able to upload the entire manual as a single document. The manual was provided by Babadems on his Paraclipse dish!!!

?I View attachment 89896

Great job on combining the documents to single document. I have submitted it to be uploaded to the download section.

I am so glad to finally have a manual to use in re-assembling this Paraclipse antenna and had previously searched in vain for this information. Due to high heat and humidity, only the morning hours are practical for working on the antenna, and it is a one person operation. I remember that installing the mesh takes two people!:mad:

I did my mesh by myself. Long as you watch what you are doing, and follow the diagram for the sequence of mesh clips, you will be fine.

And Yeah, I am with ya on heat and humidity, I did mine in the summer in Louisiana, and even inside my shed with fans it was still unbearable at times. Hang in there. Nice to see an old timer in here, we dont have many guys that know and remember the old LNA/TV rotor to change polarity days...I was barely into my double digits age-wise, but I remember, my family had one of the first residential systems that had an actual servo in 1981. The installer that did our system had a Paraclipse, it was the wildest thing I had ever seen as a young lad...:)

I did my mesh by myself. Long as you watch what you are doing, and follow the diagram for the sequence of mesh clips, you will be fine.

And Yeah, I am with ya on heat and humidity, I did mine in the summer in Louisiana, and even inside my shed with fans it was still unbearable at times. Hang in there. Nice to see an old timer in here, we dont have many guys that know and remember the old LNA/TV rotor to change polarity days...I was barely into my double digits age-wise, but I remember, my family had one of the first residential systems that had an actual servo in 1981. The installer that did our system had a Paraclipse, it was the wildest thing I had ever seen as a young lad...:)

Got my exercise today walking nearly 3 miles behind a lawnmower and bagging everything to try to keep the grass burrs from reseeding next year, instead of getting to work on the dish!!! I am assembling the dish with the ribs pointing up on a nice concrete floor in my barn with a big fan blowing since it was over 100 degrees every day this week! Is there an easy way to position the dish so I can install the mesh and feed while this is in the barn? I believe I can then pick up the entire assembled dish from the old button hook hole with a chain using a tractor with pallet jacks above the dish. Yes, I have measured the door and it is exactly 12 foot and 0 inches, so may be a little problem to get outside. I will have to move the dish several hundred feet to get to the pole location which has a 10 ft gate, but the fence is only 4 ft high, so it should go over the top!

Babadem: The manual has been a big help. I found out that it is for a Polar L mount (identified by slotted declination on top) and was made from 1982-1984. My antenna is very similar, but they changed the name to Polar T mount (identified by Declination Bracket using shims). It has 1 turnbuckle for setting elevation and was only made for the year 1985. From 1986 and on they added a second turnbuckle to the elevation adjustment. I will keep looking for a Polar T manual, although it is strictly academic at this time. You saved the day with this Polar L manual!!!

Babadem: I don't know how to attach a file so it shows up in a little box with the filename and size. I did manage to shrink the file size from 13.3 meg to 3.9 meg. It is also attached below if you still need a smaller version.

Stogie5250: Here is a picture of a 1980 downconverter I built for my first system. It was not a block downconverter, you had to send it an analog tuning voltage to change channels and it installed at the dish. This original home made dish was in constant operation for 5 years until I upgraded to the Paraclipse in 1985.

I need some information about LNB's for this setup, too. The system has pretty good LNB's now with Made in USA Platinum HEMP 63 db gain 25 deg K noise temp for C Band and Platinum 57db gain 7db noise for Ku. These are on a Chaparral Plus Feedhorn with single Polarator. I can test it with an old Analog Receiver, but present day stuff like the DMS BSC621 C/KU Band LNBF and WSI NS741 C/KU Band LNBF and VBox positioner would interface better to my new AzBox Premium HD+ receiver. Specs seem almost non existent, but are they as good as my over 20 year old LNB's??? There are still good high stability LNB's available, but they are still expensive! Looks like polarator control is not supported in the VBox!

?Should I start a new thread in a different section since this only marginally pertains to the Paraclipse or keep it all in this one thread?

Home made Downconverter-0019.jpg
View attachment Paraclipse 12 ft Classis Polar L manual 3.9meg.pdf

These are on a Chaparral Plus Feedhorn with single Polarator
The Dual band LNBF's usually tune up to max performance on one band or the other. Leaving the other band 'fair to middlin' performance wise. Some tune them to a 'happy medium'. Some others get good performance from both bands. YMMV. (Might warrant a comparison being done?) I think you're better off with the Corotor. Consensus is the best option for both bands on a BUD is an OMT. (Orthomode transducer. Commonly referred to as an 'Ortho')

Could run the servo with:
Deluxe feedhorn servo controller at http://www.ringolake.com/pic_proj/satellite/sat_projects.html (member NOQBH)
Also member equant did a similar project and documented here, http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/168889-Polarotor-Servo-Controller-Design and then Budfoot's design HERE
((Do I remember SatelliteAV mentioning something about a BUD mover that will also run a servo, in some post, being in the 'pipeline' correctly??))

Last edited:
Thanks FaT Air for the information. Yes the polarator controller would be a great buy, if anyone made it for sale. I spent most of my life in electronics, and it would be a fairly simple project, but would prefer to purchase a solution, rather than start up another home-brew project at this time.

The Ortho feeds have been around a long time and represent a good solution, being basically 2 ku and 2 C Band LNB 's arranged lossless on a waveguide with the receiver or a switch determining which one to use. Seems to be only a very small improvement over the hobbyist polarator solution, which is considerably less expensive if these late model receivers provided the polarator output.

Status
Please reply by conversation.