2009 NBA Playoffs

Do the Celtics and Bruins still have to schedule around the Circus and the Ice Capades? With Garnett possibly mssing the entre playoffs, they might not get beyond the second round.

UGHHHH!!!! :(

If this was the NCAA Tournament, the Celtics would be dropped from a 2 seed to a 5 or 6 seed!

Bill, I just posted something in the NBA Thread about this. I know we're conference rivals, but you never want to see a team shorthanded due to an injury. This is indeed unfortunate news.

Update since this morning:

Rivers: KG is out for the playoffs

By: Mike Petraglia

WALTHAM - Furthering his comments made first to WEEI's Dennis and Callahan this morning, Celtics coach Doc Rivers said before his team's practice today that Kevin Garnett is all but done this season and won't return for the playoffs. "It's not official if he's out for the entire playoffs but it's official as far as I'm concerned," Rivers said. "He looked better last week than he did today. I was convinced there wasn't going to be a minute limitation but there's no way, just no way." For more from today's practice in Waltham, including reaction from Paul Pierce and Ray Allen, visit the Green Street blog.

Update since this morning:

Rivers: KG is out for the playoffs

By: Mike Petraglia

WALTHAM - Furthering his comments made first to WEEI's Dennis and Callahan this morning, Celtics coach Doc Rivers said before his team's practice today that Kevin Garnett is all but done this season and won't return for the playoffs. "It's not official if he's out for the entire playoffs but it's official as far as I'm concerned," Rivers said. "He looked better last week than he did today. I was convinced there wasn't going to be a minute limitation but there's no way, just no way." For more from today's practice in Waltham, including reaction from Paul Pierce and Ray Allen, visit the Green Street blog.

.... as I posted in the other thread......

...damn:(

I was just thinking if the Piston's could have just reached the #7 or #6 seed, they just may have had another trip to the conference finals, (where they would have lost to Cleveland), instead of going out in the first round. without Garnet, I believe the Piston's could have beaten them, and as for the Magic...well, we own them.

My Playoff Predictions:

Eastern Conference:

First Round

Cleveland over Detroit in 5: I wouldn't be surprised if this went six. The Pistons have too many guys that have been there and have a lot of pride. That being said, they aren't in the Cavs class.

Atlanta over Miami in 7: IMO, the best series of round 1 (sort of like Anaheim-San Jose in the NHL). Athletes galore here. Home team wins every game, but the Hawks better be wary of Mr. Wade in game 7.

Boston over Chicago in 5: the Celtics will overcome the loss of KG in this series. They have enough depth in the frontcourt to get by, and the Bulls are too young, IMO.

Orlando over Philadelphia in 6: I had high hopes for the Sixers entering the season, and then Elton Brand went down. As Sabres has pointed out, the Magic have pretty much owned the Sixers.

Second Round

Cleveland over Atlanta in 5: LeBron will prove to be too much for the young Hawks.

Boston over Orlando in 7: with or without KG, I like this matchup for the Celtics. However, because there's no KG, it will go the distance.

Conference Finals

Cleveland over Boston in 5: just for the record, this would be my pick WITH KG in the lineup. I just feel that the Celtics have too much pride to let this be a sweep. That being said, I've long ago conceded, THIS YEAR belongs to LeBron and the Cavs.

Western Conference

First Round

Lakers over Utah in 6: this series will be tied 2-2 after 4 games (Jazz are always tough at home). But then the Lakers get serious and take over the series.

Portland over Houston in 7: should be a very evenly matched series, but in the end homecourt prevails.

New Orleans over Denver in 6: my big upset of the first round. The best player on the floor- Chris Paul, will prove too much for the Nuggets.

San Antonio over Dallas in 5: I like the Spurs to win relatively easily- Ginobli or no Ginobli.

Second Round

Lakers over Portland in 5: the uber-experienced Lakers prove to be too much for the up and coming Blazers

Hornets over Spurs in 6: too much Chris Paul once again

Conference Championship

Lakers over Hornets in 5: Lakers depth will wear down the road weary Hornets

NBA FINALS

Cleveland over Lakers in 7: I picked the Cavs back in October, and I'm certainly not gonna change it now after the season they've had. This will be an E-P-I-C showdown of two mega superstars, but IMO, LeBron will want it more.

HD, Sky and the rest of Cleveland, this is YOUR time!! :)

Around Father's Day or so in Cleveland, they'll be partying like it's 1999! @party@party@party@party

Here are my playoff predictions for round 1:

Cavs over Pistons in a sweep- I know Detroit has a lot of pride, but they drew the wrong playoff opponent. They would have fared better against the Celtics or Magic, but not these determined Cavs.

Celtics over Bulls- KG may be hurt, but I still like the championship-quality core of this team to defend their title with pride. The Bulls, as Bill said, are too young.

Magic over 76ers in five- Orlando got what they wanted- no Pistons and an opponent they own. Also, the 76ers are the worst three-point-shot team of the 16 playoff teams.

Hawks over Heat in 7- best round one series, by far. In the end, I think Atlanta's balanced attack will make the difference. It could go either way- Beasley and Cook will have to step up and help Mr. Wade on the scoresheet.

Lakers over Jazz in 5- Utah is tough at home, but they have an abysmal road record. Also, they have slumped a bit down the stretch, something that does not equal playoff success, let alone against the class of the West.

Nuggets over Hornets in 6- Of the 16 playoff teams, no team is heading into the playoffs with less momentum than New Orleans. Denver, OTOH, closed the season red-hot. This trend will continue. CP3 will light it up, but the key will be how West and Chandler can perform.

Spurs over Mavericks in 7- This is too close to call. Dallas has played well late, the Spurs surprisingly slipped from the #2 seed, and don't have Ginobili. The most important thing that San Antonio got is home-court advantage, and that will be the key.

Blazers over Rockets in 6- I don't trust the Rockets, a team with a 2,000 pound playoff gorilla on its back.

NBA Playoffs First Round Predictions:

EAST:

(1)Cavs over (8)Pistons in 5-If AI didn't shut it down, the Pistons might have had a chance against the Cavs due to his one-on-one play....but without him the Pistons are no match in the frontcourt for the Cavs. The only intrigue will be how hard(cheap) the Pistons play.

(2)Celtics over (7)Bulls in 4-KG won't be needed in this series...the Celtics outside game will dominate the offensive challenged Bulls.

(3)Magic over (6)Sixers in 5-The Sixers just don't have an answer to Dwight Howard, pure and simple, Elton Brand slowed the Sixers down when he played and that would be a help in the playoffs if he stayed healthy...maybe next year Sixers.

(4)Hawks over (5)Heat in 6-I agree with everybody else...maybe the best matchup in the first round. Johnson and Wade basically x each other out....Al Horford's play for the Hawks will be what gives the Hawks the edge...but as also pointed out, if the series goes 7 Wade may swing it back to the Heat.

WEST:

(1) Lakers over (8)Jazz in 5-Worst possible matchup for the Jazz, they can't win outside Salt Lake City and will be hard pressed to matchup against the Lakers superior bench...especially now with Odom heading them.

(2)Nuggets over (7)Hornets in 5-The Hornets have really struggled down the stretch...as good as Chris Paul is he's carrying too much of the load and will be matched against a tough defender in Billups.

(6)Mavericks over (3)Spurs in 6-Not only is Manu out, but Duncan's knees are ailing as well. Parker must have a monster series for the Spurs. The Mavericks picked it up late in the season to move into the sixth seed. With expectations low for the Mavs the playoff monkey should be off their back.

(4)Blazers over (5)Rockets in 7-For all of the talk of the Rockets playoff failure, that is mostly connected to T-Mac who is out, that leaves the X factor to Ron Artest. The Blazers improved late in the season, if Oden can stay on the floor for more than 10 minutes the Blazers could match up better against the Rockets frontcourt, but he just can't be trusted.

Saturday's Playoff Schedule- All Times Eastern

Chicago at Boston- Game 1- 12:30 PM [ESPN(HD)]

Detroit at Cleveland- Game 1- 3:00 PM [ABC(HD)]

Dallas at San Antonio- Game 1- 8:00 PM [ESPN(HD)]

Houston at Portland- Game 1- 10:30 PM [ESPN(HD)]

Someone forgot to set the Celtics collective alarm clocks.

That was a PATHETIC first half performance! :mad:

Bulls defeat Celtics, 105-103 in OT.

Derrick Rose had a great game with 36 points.

Ray Allen shot 1-12 from the floor........that won't get it done.

Bulls beat Celtics. What a game by Derrick Rose. 36 points 11 assists.:eek: Boston can be glad the NBA Playoffs is best of 7. Looks like they may need some of those Game 7's again this year.

Today was the first time that the Bulls have ever won a playoff game against the Celtics.

Chicago was 0-10 all time against Boston in the playoffs.

GREAT performance by the Cavs in game 1.

Pistons kept it close early, but the better team took over as the game went on.

Oh, and as for LeBron's opening-game performance- :bow:bow:bow

Portland must be feeling left out, on tonight's playoff doubleheader on ESPN.

It's the Texas three-step plus the Blazers tonight. :D

Should be a great pair of games tonight!! :up

I'll be watching mostly the Bruins and Red Sox, but I'll check in on the Mavs-Spurs game from time to time.

Bulls defeat Celtics, 105-103 in OT.

Derrick Rose had a great game with 36 points.

Ray Allen shot 1-12 from the floor........that won't get it done.

Bill, I was stunned in seeing how close this game was. I tuned in just as Paul Pierce missed one of the foul shots at the end of regulation. Unfortunate loss by the C's.

BTW, there should be no dispute in the Rookie of the Year award. Derrick Rose IS the real deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)